Person decapitated at Nola raceway

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    See how rumors get started. Decapitated, no chute and no roll cage?

Yeah I wonder what exactly happened. We can see the chute, as noob himself pointed out/corrected. Plus I have to give noob some credit for not stating it as fact but as what he heard. I heard he was the 5th car to make a pass. I wonder how fast the other cars went.

Years ago the super modifieds (NASCAR) were built too strong and the cages wouldn't crumple. The result was the forces would transmit to the driver and his heart would tear. It took a while to figure it out. Sometimes the learning curve ain't where it needs to be. In the cup cars they learned they had to stagger the bracing in the door bars differently. At the kart track one day a guys brake rotor broke apart @ the end of the straight, when he hit the brakes. It was pretty weird, I would have never bet it was possible. So bad stuff can & does happen. I've had 2 occurrences with the plastic red/white barriers myself. One thing to watch at races is if the wind picks up those popup awnings aren't always secured very well. (1 of my pet peeves - as it can go hit someone or their proberty) I either secure mine or don't use it.

Last edited:

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    See how rumors get started. Decapitated, no chute and no roll cage?

Yesterday a guy told me the car had no cage and some even worse conditions for safety existed. I don't know how reliable the info was and some was far fetched enough to make me question it. Even 1 of the things he said could be taken 2 ways. A different guy said the car had "known suspension problems", which seems like some pretty specific inside info, so I label that as hearsay.

I can't even find out for sure if the car had a cage or not. I always question when concrete info is presented early on.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    Having raced dirt track cars, the safety related rules were always referred to as shall not must. Driver shall have so and so approved helmet, roll cage shall be built of .090 thick so and so steel. The reason shall is used is to put the responsibility on the driver not the track to ensure the rules are followed. If must is used it implies that the track has the responsibility to verify the rule is being followed and if they don't they are responsible if an injury occurs.

Last edited:

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Having raced dirt track cars, the safety related rules were always referred to as shall not must. Driver shall have so and so approved helmet, roll cage shall be built of .090 thick so and so steel. The reason shall is used is to put the responsibility on the driver not the track to ensure the rules are followed. If must is used it implies that the track has the responsibility to verify the rule is being followed and if they don't they are responsible if an injury occurs.

In this case I think the promoter is more of a problem than NMSP, ignoring what role the driver plays in it.

Just out of curiosity: Where did you race dirt & what classes?

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I'll leave it at this. I was there advertising for my work, and watched it happen. I saw the car before hand, and got to walk the track before the event started. What the media is saying to the general public, and what was actual is 2 completely different things. I'm keeping up for entertainment purposes, but know the truth.

1: The car was built and prepped specifically for that event. He was going for the record of fastest Nissan in America. It did indeed have a parachute, however did not have a full roll cage. 2008 cars and newer do not require one for the level he was at.

2. The track at Nola is in no way prepped or setup for drag racing and hitting speeds that fast. There is not enough "cool down" area to slow down from those speeds, and once you go off track to the area they were using as cool off, the concrete is in poor condition and diveted/bumpy as hell.

Last edited:

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Car had a 4 point roll bar, woefully under caged and lacking in safety equipment for the speed. Always up to the driver on if he goes down track or not. Sad that he had to lose his life.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Based on the video I saw, even with a bullet proof roll cage, I don't think that crash was survivable. Just the centrifugal force alone would have likely broken his neck.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Possibly but he will never know, Ive seen some pretty bad accidents at higher rates of speed that guys walked away from.

QUOTE=highstandard40;1638873]Based on the video I saw, even with a bullet proof roll cage, I don't think that crash was survivable. Just the centrifugal force alone would have likely broken his neck.[/QUOTE]

Top Bottom