Critique my 10.5" build!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Well finally after about a year and a half of methodically piecing together this upper; here she is! I had to build a 10.5" barreled upper due to the barrel length restriction of my Omega.

Check her out. Tell me what you think, like, dislike, etc. Swing away! Let me know if you have any questions on specs/parts.

xoQVTwY.jpg

C5eTqiZ.jpg

SIqdmDv.jpg

vEvIse4.jpg

bKjPKPw.jpg

I test fire tomorrow. I'm still wondering if I should have cut to the chase and put a Superlative Arms piston kit on the .625" barrel.

Thoughts?

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Just an FYI on Superlative, I recently put together another upper using a SA bleed off gas block, second time I have used their product. Well I tried to contact Superlative twice and zero response. Reading on the www this is pretty much their MO, don't return emails nor phone messages, no support. Ditto complaints on AR15.com. So no more SA products for me.
    Nice build.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Nice build. I do have a couple of questions. How is the remote switch mounted? What size screws are those? Did you drill out the holes in the switch and use standard mlok screws or did you find thinner screws to fit through the existing holes that also work with mlok?

The offside selector switch appears to be facing the rear. I guess it could simply have been installed backwards but the PDW stock looks like it would be in the way if the long arm tried to rotate upwards. Do you have a binary trigger installed?

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I like it but I’m partial to 10.5 builds. How do you like the viper?

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Just an FYI on Superlative, I recently put together another upper using a SA bleed off gas block, second time I have used their product. Well I tried to contact Superlative twice and zero response. Reading on the www this is pretty much their MO, don't return emails nor phone messages, no support. Ditto complaints on AR15.com. So no more SA products for me.
    Nice build.

I wish there were more piston options for the .625. I may contact Adams Arms and see if they can make me a one off .625 if need be. Maybe it would give them a boost into some more business for the lightweight builder guys that run cans.I will pitch it to them today if it doesnt already exist, as I have seen their products that are quality.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I like it but I’m partial to 10.5 builds. How do you like the viper?

It is rock solid. Another well made and innovative piece of work from Strike. Of course not as comfy as a m4ish style stock but to be expected. It is light years mo betta than the NEA CSS stock that I had previously. That thing (proprietary bcg, custom clipped tubbs flat spring, custom buffer weights..BARF!) was a nightmare to get running half assed on my 7.5 upper.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Nice build. I do have a couple of questions. How is the remote switch mounted? What size screws are those? Did you drill out the holes in the switch and use standard mlok screws or did you find thinner screws to fit through the existing holes that also work with mlok?

The offside selector switch appears to be facing the rear. I guess it could simply have been installed backwards but the PDW stock looks like it would be in the way if the long arm tried to rotate upwards. Do you have a binary trigger installed?

I drilled and used Magpul MLOK from one of their slim AFGs I had laying around. See link below for write up:

https://www.breachbangclear.com/hands-like-mom-streamlight-rail-mount-2/

And yes I have the latest gen Fostech trigger installed with a lighter spring. And oh man does it haul ass! Much fun. My 22 dedicated upper build has been expedited so I can get my technique down for less moolah! See link:

Watch "Fostech ECHO Spring Mod to Improve Trigger Pull Weight: Video Review and Field Test" on YouTube
    https://youtu.be/higUogoOS_E

Last edited:

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    1. Does that mount on your Micro allow for center co-witness (or is it lower third)?

2. I realize you SBR'd it... and I am guessing you stamped the VFG also?

3. Where did you engrave it (location on the firearm, not google maps! haha)?

4. From the positioning of the pressure switch... are you only using the VFG as a handstop or 4 finger hold (almost like a magwell grip)? Or are you just using the pressure switch as an "ON/OFF" instead of instant?

Personally, I would rather the enhanced charging handle... your's is stock correct? Also, I would just zip tie the light wire like to did to part of it instead of the rail covers (Just something to fall off and distract you when firing). I would have also just zip tied the switch... instead of drilling it... good idea though.

Love that enhanced mag button also.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    1. Does that mount on your Micro allow for center co-witness (or is it lower third)?

4. From the positioning of the pressure switch... are you only using the VFG as a handstop or 4 finger hold (almost like a magwell grip)? Or are you just using the pressure switch as an "ON/OFF" instead of instant?

Personally, I would rather the enhanced charging handle... your's is stock correct? Also, I would just zip tie the light wire like to did to part of it instead of the rail covers (Just something to fall off and distract you when firing). I would have also just zip tied the switch... instead of drilling it... good idea though.

If he's got the LaRue Tactical IndexClips, they're not coming off when he's firing. I have a set and you almost have to get a screwdriver and pry them up to get them off.

https://www.larue.com/products/indexclips-72-piece-set/

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area

1) Lower 1/3

2) It is a SBR. Can you elaborate on "Stamped the VFG?" If youre asking about the manufactures logo that is embossed on the grip "BCM"? or about the presence OR it legally?

3) Engraving is located on the front of the magwell.

4) 4 finger grip as to help pull the gun into the shoulder. Its an instant but if I swing the thumb back I can click the button to constant ON.

I have a BCM Mod 4 charging handle. See for the pressure switch mod(took 2 seconds with a drill bit): https://www.breachbangclear.com/hands-like-mom-streamlight-rail-mount-2/

The mag release allows for smooth mag drops.

- - - Updated - - -

If he's got the LaRue Tactical IndexClips, they're not coming off when he's firing. I have a set and you almost have to get a screwdriver and pry them up to get them off.

https://www.larue.com/products/indexclips-72-piece-set/

Bingo.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    looks great. After you run it and all goes well please list all the particulars. It might help someone building one avoid big bumps in the road. It is sweet looking. Good luck with it.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    That sounds like a good idea. Are you running a DI set up or piston? We need to make a trip to Plaquemines range when im off.

My Noveske 10.5 is DI, my seekins precision 10.5 is di with adjustable gas. My sig556 sbr (10.5) is gas piston with 2-3 adjustments (reg, adverse, and single shot).

Also have a 12.5 Noveske, 8.2 300blk noveske, 9 inch aac, and 7.5 inch zev build

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Awesome build, but won't it singe your eyebrows?:rofl:

Not with the 6" spark arrester on the end of it!

- - - Updated - - -

My Noveske 10.5 is DI, my seekins precision 10.5 is di with adjustable gas. My sig556 sbr (10.5) is gas piston with 2-3 adjustments (reg, adverse, and single shot).

Also have a 12.5 Noveske, 8.2 300blk noveske, 9 inch aac, and 7.5 inch zev build

Which set up do you find to have the least amount of gas to the face? Least?

Which one has the smoothest recoil? Most harsh?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom