Aguila Ammunition- Whats Wrong With It?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cajun_Ammo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2018
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Hello everybody!

Do any of you have much experience with Aguila ammunition? I have shot it a few times since taking over Cajun Ammo, as we have a lot of it and I haven't really had any issues with it. It cycled fine and ran through suppressors nicely. The only thing I noticed was it was a little on the dirty side. I noticed some unburned powder after leaving the range and cleaning took a little longer than usual but nothing terrible... Anyway, I have been selling the stuff on my site extraordinarily cheap and still nobody wants the stuff. Are you guys aware of something that keeps people from buying this ammunition? I feel like it being a little dirtier shouldn't be deterring people from some of the prices I have them at.

Last edited:

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I rather like the stuff. In my Ruger Standard I find that the Remington Viper works a bit better, but in everything else (S&W 21A, Colt Woodsman, etc) it works great.

I had a box of the Aguila subsonic .22 that also worked well. A lot of people reported that they had trouble getting this stuff to cycle a semiauto properly, but I never had an issue.

How much are you asking for a 5,000 round flat?

mike

103M 95G

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Westbank
    No direct experience, the rumor on the net is with the sub sonic 60 grain Aguila not being stabilized enough for suppressor use.
    In my Dead Air Mask manual it specifically says not to use it.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    We sell the crap out of it for range ammo at Gretna Gun. No major issues. My 1022 and MKIV 2245 doesnt like the 22 standard velocity stuff though, even with a can.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    No direct experience, the rumor on the net is with the sub sonic 60 grain Aguila not being stabilized enough for suppressor use.
    In my Dead Air Mask manual it specifically says not to use it.

Yep. The twist rate isnt set up to handle that weight on most 22 firearms.

They do make aftermarket 1022 barrel with appropriate twist for guys who want to run that specifically in their rifles.

Cajun_Ammo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2018
    Baton Rouge, LA
    We have more cases of the 40 grain standard velocity than I know what to do with. I've sold a couple of cases specifically for suppressor use and they said good things. I just don't get how I can't sell a 5k round case of the stuff for $150. The.45 we have for that matter as well. I just thought there might be some stink in the community about this ammo so I thought I'd ask.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Unlike many shooters I prefer quality ammunition.
    For a .22 I prefer CCI.
    For 9mm Range I prefer 124gr. American Eagle or Lawman.
    For 9mm Carry I prefer 124gr.+P HST or Gold Dot.

Prices need to be competitive with online vendors such as SGAMMO.

Cajun_Ammo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2018
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Unlike many shooters I prefer quality ammunition.
    For a .22 I prefer CCI.
    For 9mm Range I prefer 124gr. American Eagle or Lawman.
    For 9mm Carry I prefer 124gr.+P HST or Gold Dot.

Prices need to be competitive with online vendors such as SGAMMO.

Oh yeah, We sold out of CCI quickly. I need to place another order. All of my prices that you see with the "on the shelf today" banner, are going to be much lower because I have much control over the price. SGAMMO always has great prices and if I ever cant beat their price, I tell my customers to go there.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    191   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    The 40gr standard velocity stuff shoots better out of my cz455 than anything else I have tried in it. That includes cci 40gr standard velocity
    that shoots tiny groups in my tactical solutions x-ring semi auto.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I like to run the semi-autos with CCI. But do have 40K of cheapo stuff. I keep the dirty stuff for "My use" or Revolver ammo. As stated above by JBP55 I like good ammo. But that falls out the picture when I do see cheaper stuff. Have think 15K left of Surpluss Rem from the CMP that was $90.00 a case of 5000. Same fur Federal Bulk 550's I had at 13 bucks a box. I will put up with FTF and dirty at that cost but give good ammo to my wife.
    The frustration level of a shooter is not worth it to save a few bucks so I give her the good stuff. Especially now with the price down.
    Comes down to is the savings worth it? Now that CCI is down in price and plentiful. Is it worth the cost savings to use cheap dirty ammo?
    There will always be a market for lower priced ammo though.
    Guess my point is. Think a lot of shooters have a stockpile of cheap 22lr already since the shortage. sice we were getting what we could. And are looking at getting higher quality now.
    If I did not have a pile of cheap 22lr I would be in the market for some So my guess is others are in that same boat

Last edited:

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I've shot a lot of the Aguila .22lr that is a mostly orange (not blue) box. Not as good as cci, but is accuracy, cycling, and ejecting has been great

Cajun_Ammo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2018
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I like to run the semi-autos with CCI. But do have 40K of cheapo stuff. I keep the dirty stuff for "My use" or Revolver ammo. As stated above by JBP55 I like good ammo. But that falls out the picture when I do see cheaper stuff. Have think 15K left of Surpluss Rem from the CMP that was $90.00 a case of 5000. Same fur Federal Bulk 550's I had at 13 bucks a box. I will put up with FTF and dirty at that cost but give good ammo to my wife.
    The frustration level of a shooter is not worth it to save a few bucks so I give her the good stuff. Especially now with the price down.
    Comes down to is the savings worth it? Now that CCI is down in price and plentiful. Is it worth the cost savings to use cheap dirty ammo?
    There will always be a market for lower priced ammo though.
    Guess my point is. Think a lot of shooters have a stockpile of cheap 22lr already since the shortage. sice we were getting what we could. And are looking at getting higher quality now.
    If I did not have a pile of cheap 22lr I would be in the market for some So my guess is others are in that same boat

That's very true. .22 seems very abundant lately. I hear not too long ago, it was impossible to find.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    I’ve shot several different flavors of the aguila .22lr.

I’ve had no problems other than the funny smell from the primer.

My Marlin model 60 loves the 40gr match ammo from aguila.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    I love the 40 grain subsonic 22 Ammo. Cycles my suppressed Ruger 22/45 and is super quiet. Only issue I have is trying to get my hands on more for a good price.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I like the 60gr .22LR in my CZ copy rifle. Faster twist barrel. Golf balls at 100 yards all day long.
    I don’t find their .22 ammo to be any dirtier than any other. I find all .22 ammo to be pretty fouling. That said, they’ve got one round that’s hotter than the CCI stingers.

The short shotshells are the stuff. Love them shorty slugs in my pistol grip shotties.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    191   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    The 40gr standard velocity we are talking about has no supersonic crack in my bolt and semi guns. You may want to pick up a few boxes and try them. I don’t think you will find a better price anywhere when he is selling them what $1.54 ish a 50 count box?

I love the 40 grain subsonic 22 Ammo. Cycles my suppressed Ruger 22/45 and is super quiet. Only issue I have is trying to get my hands on more for a good price.

Top Bottom