Middle Eastern Food - what you got?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Time for another foodie thread.

We have our go to spots for dining or eating out. (There is a difference in my book).

For Mid East we go several places: (I will list some later - but want to hear form y'all first )
    Last night my daughter picked a good one that was new to us and less than 1 year open:

Shahrazad Cafe:
    Halloumi cheese
    Falafel
    Chick & lamb shwarma
    Pita bread
    Baklava
    Harissa

Service was great
    Jazz playing was a nice selection

The weak link was the Lebanese tea (relative too other places) - not bad though - they are not stingy with it or the bread.

Nice family that owns & runs it. So far the Middle Eastern cafes I have been know a little something about being great hosts. Every one has the family vibe & great host thing happening. None are necessarily better than another just different.

What's your place or places of choice?

dwhaley929

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Dec 14, 2016
    Baton Rouge LA
    In BR, Serop's, Tigerbait Grill on Harrell's Ferry is good for just basic stuff, and there's a Shell station on Perkins near Bluebonnet that's surprisingly good. Albasha, Kamal's on Airline near Gonzales. Lot's of decent places.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    When I lived in Baton Rouge years ago, Serop's was a client with outstanding food. Now here in New Orleans, the family doesn't like Middle-eastern as much as I do, but we go to Cleopatra on Manhattan sometimes. It's pretty good.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    When I lived in Baton Rouge years ago, Serop's was a client with outstanding food. Now here in New Orleans, the family doesn't like Middle-eastern as much as I do, but we go to Cleopatra on Manhattan sometimes. It's pretty good.

I hadn't eaten Middle Eastern or Mediterranean for about 20 years as my wife just can't stand it. My first time back was @ Cleopatra. I find some of their sauces to be outstanding and the gyro there is perfect. I only eat half and then eat the other half later. Normally I don't like having too much food, but it is that good. I don't even have to hold back to eat half, it's that big.

Last edited:

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Sahara on Lapalco

Dude, Brah, Cuz,
    Yeah, I'm a but familiar with them. Sandwiches there have me obsessed.
    On father's day I went for lunch and dinner. Kids had schedule conflicts. I think I had 5 sandwiches, 2 entrees, 2 desserts and 2 drinks between sharing. I manned up and ate like a pig both times.
    Some of the special there are good. Once we were in there and people would come in just for a specific special and 2 couples left when they were out of it. I would have just switched it up.
    Then to complete the field trip we usually go to the market behind it. There is a butcher there that I have never seen not working, not even for a second.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    In BR, Serop's, Tigerbait Grill on Harrell's Ferry is good for just basic stuff, and there's a Shell station on Perkins near Bluebonnet that's surprisingly good. Albasha, Kamal's on Airline near Gonzales. Lot's of decent places.

This in particular seems like it would be fun to try:
    there's a Shell station on Perkins near Bluebonnet that's surprisingly good

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge

Albasha's is my #1 and usually wins as#1 in BR. Serops is a close second, but I like Albasha's salad dressing better.

YESSSS - Nobody ever wants to eat it because I say "let's get some gas station Schwarma" but it's cheap and delicious. I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves the GSS! If anyone wants to try it, it's on Perkins, between Bluebonnet and Siegen, next to Sabine Pools

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Albasha's is my #1 and usually wins as#1 in BR. Serops is a close second, but I like Albasha's salad dressing better.

YESSSS - Nobody ever wants to eat it because I say "let's get some gas station Schwarma" but it's cheap and delicious. I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves the GSS! If anyone wants to try it, it's on Perkins, between Bluebonnet and Siegen, next to Sabine Pools

I can tell right now I'd make a 3rd that would love it.

One aspect of it is I am not in BR and the uniqueness of it will help me remember it. I can see the dilemma though I only got $10 & need to get some gas.

Gotta do what you gotta do on the tie breakers. Every place I have been has its weak area. For example Vietnamese places here in general close early, mid east tend to stay rolling later. Vietnamese is a tad cheaper on the sandwiches.

Last edited:

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Another place I have been is Shawarma on the Run.
    Last thing on the right on Terry Parkway heading to the GNO. Good & guys running are great.

Something they have they I have not come close to elsewhere:
    Half Lebanese tea & half mint tea is something I'd drive 10 minutes 1 way for.

I guess it's not 100% Middle Eastern, but both are very good.
    Wah Kitchen
    Nirvana Indian Cuisine

dwhaley929

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Dec 14, 2016
    Baton Rouge LA

It's an experience alright. I had an office down the street. Just happened to get a gyro plate one day and really enjoyed it. A lot of people know about it and say they are very rude but it's always crowded at lunchtime.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    another for serops in br. the express on coursey is always spot on.
    ive had mixed results with Alabasha.

olive tree in geismar is decent.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    It's an experience alright. I had an office down the street. Just happened to get a gyro plate one day and really enjoyed it. A lot of people know about it and say they are very rude but it's always crowded at lunchtime.
    if they complain about rudeness they will HATE a real korean place. they are not rude, just not chatty.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom