Rifle Restock, Barrel Free-float, and bedding

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Restocked, free floated the barrel, and bedded 2 rifles. The first is a Winchester 70 Featherweight .270 w/ a Supergrade stock purchased from another BS user. The second is a Remington 700 300 win magnum. Enjoyable light gun smithing projects. The details of bedding are covered on several YouTube videos and they are pretty good. I would only add that bedding the front lug, rear of the action, and using the glass to establish to establish a pillar is where I focus. This gets me a consistent torque on the action screws and accuracy to at least a 300 yards and sometimes 400 yards. First time I used 'Power Custom Glass Bedding Studs', highly recommended; available at Midway. The modern Win 70 Supergrade stocks use a one piece floor plate which is milled differently than the 2 piece floor plate. You can pick them up from Numrich for $50 and swap over the hinged plate. I broke the first one piece and had to order a second. The first plate frame broke because the plate itself has a high spot along both sides of the hinge that recedes into the one piece frame when it is closed. It is hard to see if you're just working casually but it will break the frame when closing. A round file and some touch up with a sharpie fixed floor plate frame. The stock barrel channel didn't need any work to free-float the 270 light contour barrel. I never liked the
    Remington 700 factory synthetic stock. I have other synthetic sticks I like but this one just didn't feel good. Boyd has come out with the new, new to me anyway, 'At-One' model. It has adjustable length of pull
    and cheek piece. It also has a variety of grip panels that can purchased separately to fit you hand size. I have smallish hands so the panels from the factory work well. Really like the Boyd stock. I did have to work the barrel channel a bit to free-float the barrel for what I would call a medium contour 300 win mag barrel. Fun projects and very happy with the outcomes.
    Rem_700_Boyd1.jpgRem_700_Boyd2.jpgWin70SupG1.jpgWin70SupG2.jpg

Top Bottom