Interesting Range Day...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    We all know the saying, " A bad day at the range is always better that a good day at work." Well today was the day that I began to challenge that...

My day began with grabbing a few guns and some ammo to go to Honey Island. Brought out the newly built AR-10 (well DPMS pattern one), the new to me 1916 Spanish Mauser in 7.62nato, my NPM M1 Carbine, a few handguns including my Taurus Tracker 44mag 4", and P38.

Got to the range and went to sight in the AR, all was good but it started to stovepipe but still feed a live round.... Cleared this a few times... Then "Bang" and hammer did not reset.. "Uh,oh..." Turns out spent casing stayed in chamber extractor skipped rim and went to feed live round and bolt stop as the bullet smashed into the stuck casing... Had to borrow a screwdriver to pop round out of the mag so I could drop it. Well I cleared it then let the bolt ride home on the casing to hopefully pull it out... Well that was not the right move.

The damn bolt locked up no chance to clear this so AR went. Away into it's case to be looked at later.

Pulled out M1 Carbine and only issues (as expected) were the occasional issue with the KCI mags but my others fed perfect.... (Range officer said she was "Old Reliable".

Well moved to the Mauser... Well this gun is new to me... Never cleaned by me.. that was a mistake... So loaded her up and she fired nicely, but bolt was stubborn. So chambered one more and it locked up had stand up and use the table to open the bolt. Did this for the remaining rounds in the mag. (Range officer got a kick out of this)

So I then moved to the pistol line and pulled out the Tracker to sight for the 305grain ammo I got for it the other day. Well used the last of the Remington 180 grain for kicks (apologize in advance to the people next to me because that porting makes for a hell of a concussion) about 10 rounds into the 305 grain ammo I noticed the cylinder moved counter clockwise freely even when cocked.

Well the range officer and I were perplexed (he blames it on the brand), I had to shelve it and shoot my semi-auto (they were perfect FYI)

Well the best part of all this is I got home and it turns out that Taurus is fine... The part the sits above the trigger (forget the name) that holds the cylinder in place had depressed and stayed down allowing it to spin freely. Poked it and it popped right back up... Well damn... Just needed oil (it's a brand new gun after all)

Well turned my attention to the AR... Well the upper was pulled off the lower and the bolt was not all the way forward so I had to tap it forward and with some vigorous pulls it actually ripped the rim apart from the round and out came the bolt. Then took a rod and knocked the round out. I will be polishing that chamber... Vigorouslly...

So how was your day?

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    What parts/manufacturers were used on the 308 platform AR?
    What brand ammo was used in rifles?
    Why didn't you clean/lube your rifles? I don't clean my rifles every time I shoot them, but I do clean them at least before the first time I shoot them, that way I make sure there's proper lube.

Did you try to "mortar" the rifle when it had a spent case?

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    What parts/manufacturers were used on the 308 platform AR?
    What brand ammo was used in rifles?
    Why didn't you clean/lube your rifles? I don't clean my rifles every time I shoot them, but I do clean them at least before the first time I shoot them, that way I make sure there's proper lube.

Did you try to "mortar" the rifle when it had a spent case?

Tennessee Arms Lower (polymer part of the reason why I did not mortar it). The upper came built from Thundar Tactical, shooting Malaysian surplus. (This is a budget gun). All my guns were oiled (m1 greased) just the Taurus needed some in a place I didn't think about (semi auto guy). The Mauser it's hard to tell when a chamber is hard to extract from on a surplus gun until it happens... The AR it's a tight new chamber... Maybe a bit too tight.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LazrBeam
    Top Bottom