Pin and weld or go the pistol route?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    If they had the braces the have now back when I got my SBR's... I could have saved so much time and money on the four that I have!
    The SBA3 and the SBPDW are fricking amazing... not to put too fine of a point on it.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    If they had the braces the have now back when I got my SBR's... I could have saved so much time and money on the four that I have!
    The SBA3 and the SBPDW are fricking amazing... not to put too fine of a point on it.

Oh yes. I have a 10.5" 300 BO AR pistol with a Shockwave Blade brace (shoulders quite well). Why pay that $200 to the feds?

Last edited:

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    You got pieces of what you're posting from federal law. The rest is just gun counter rhetoric that's been passed around for years.
    Exactly which comment did I make as law or ATF ruling that was not correct? Are you saying an AR lower is not supposed to be marked as OTHER are you saying an if an AR bought as a rifle the lower has to be used as a rifle only ? Are you saying if you put a carbine stock on a lower it is not considered a rifle or SBR depending on barrel length ( according to Feds) Are you saying having a barrel less than 16" and Not having the tube or brace to build a pistol is not intent in the eyes of the law? ( Which was my original point ) Are you saying you can't find cases where police have searched , charged convicted and even shot people because of misinterpretation of gun laws or barrel lengths ? ( Ruby Ridge) I gave advice to check state laws because what Feds recognize as a pistol is not a pistol according to some states ,are you saying this is wrong? Exactly which statement is incorrect . Exactly what did I state you feel is false . If you claim I'm wrong no problem I may be but get off your high horse and show me where I'm wrong don't declare you know facts but don't state them .

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    Go buy an S&W AR OR RUGER AR type rifle and put a brace and 12" barrel on it and tell the ATF they are wrong and it's an other lower not a rifle lower . You can then tell them and the prosecutor and judge their opinion is wrong .
    You're adding a lot of opinion to these posts...

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    Since I didn't mention a box of parts I don't know . Which statement in the post is wrong . And while you are googling to try to disprove them try googling constructive intent .
    Which law should I check to find the justification for state or local police to confiscate a box of parts?

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Don't cut the barrel until you have a brace on a lower ,a less than 16" barrel and no Lower set up with brace or designated pistol tube will be considered intent to make an SBR out of one of your rifles .

While you are mostly correct, that is a moot point. The ATF will only know about it if they have occasion to search your house. And if the ATF is searching your house, they already have something on you other than the SBR.

It doesn't have to be ATF any cop can arrest you on gun charges . I agree with you most of us will never have our house searched but one instance comes to mind , an ex girlfriend wanted to cause problems for a friend and claimed the friend had a machine gun ,no they didn't find one but his house was turned up side down . Why take the chance and tempt fate ? If you are going to get a brace do it first and be legal .

Since I didn't mention a box of parts I don't know . Which statement in the post is wrong . And while you are googling to try to disprove them try googling constructive intent.

You stated he shouldn't modify the upper unless he had a brace on a lower or it would be viewed as intent to make a SBR. In order for intent to be an issue, there cannot be a complete weapon, hence the weapon must be in parts. If the weapon were complete, it would be possession of a SBR, not intent to make a SBR. I stated it was unlikely the ATF would search unless they were already looking at you for something bigger. You said it doesn't have to be the ATF, it can be any cop. You backed up your claim with the story about the 911 call that placed the cops inside the house. One can reasonably assume the cops responding to that incident were likely local cops. So what law would provide the justification for those local cops to confiscate the box of parts?

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    The OP said he had rifle and pistol lowers which is confusing , did he get confused or did the seller actually mark them that way ? Maybe he should find out . if no stock or brace he could argue what he intends to build and probably win and only cost him a few thousand dollars. Evidently you did not Google the statements you claim are false or constructive intent or you would let it go . You are still bringing up a box of parts for some reason ,I only remember him saying he had a rifle upper and several lowers which may or may not be in the system as other I never saw him post anything about a box of parts. Any Leo can arrest you for breaking fed gun laws ,you don't have to be breaking the law to be arrested and charged ,the prosecutor nor lawyer cares whether you are guilty or not some prosecutors only care if they can win lawyers only care if your check crashes . You going on a public forum and advise someone who is already not sure what he has to take a chance on doing anything that may be construed as constructive intent is beyond asinine . The op needs to check with the seller of his AR lowers and if marked wrong get it straight before he does anything , unless of course you think that is a waste of time too. Since you refuse to debate the facts and want to talk about a box of parts I am going to be the better man and say you can have the Last word and tell everyone you were right . You are right about it being unlikely you will have to worry about Leo in your house just like you probably won't have a home invader , smart people are prepared for both only fools say it won't happen. I gave my 2¢ worth of advice if anyone follows it or not is not going to make me worse or better off . OK this is your chance to say whatever you want , I'm out of this useless discussion .

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The OP said he had rifle and pistol lowers which is confusing , did he get confused or did the seller actually mark them that way ? Maybe he should find out . if no stock or brace he could argue what he intends to build and probably win and only cost him a few thousand dollars. Evidently you did not Google the statements you claim are false or constructive intent or you would let it go . You are still bringing up a box of parts for some reason ,I only remember him saying he had a rifle upper and several lowers which may or may not be in the system as other I never saw him post anything about a box of parts. Any Leo can arrest you for breaking fed gun laws ,you don't have to be breaking the law to be arrested and charged ,the prosecutor nor lawyer cares whether you are guilty or not some prosecutors only care if they can win lawyers only care if your check crashes . You going on a public forum and advise someone who is already not sure what he has to take a chance on doing anything that may be construed as constructive intent is beyond asinine . The op needs to check with the seller of his AR lowers and if marked wrong get it straight before he does anything , unless of course you think that is a waste of time too. Since you refuse to debate the facts and want to talk about a box of parts I am going to be the better man and say you can have the Last word and tell everyone you were right . You are right about it being unlikely you will have to worry about Leo in your house just like you probably won't have a home invader , smart people are prepared for both only fools say it won't happen. I gave my 2¢ worth of advice if anyone follows it or not is not going to make me worse or better off . OK this is your chance to say whatever you want , I'm out of this useless discussion .

I don't need to google constructive intent. I know what it means and and that's exactly why I'm asking you to cite the law that allows state or local police to confiscate the parts. I would like to see where in that law constructive intent can be found. The supreme court ruled constructive intent applies to the NFA. But that's a federal law. If it's not in the state law, surely you can provide the court case that clarified the state law to include constructive intent. Otherwise, it would mean the state and local cops would have to have the authority to enforce federal law. Surely the justification for that can be found somewhere, right?

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I like the way a 14.5 barrel gun handles, with a light rail and a pencil profile barrel. So plus 1 for pin and weld 14.5 if you want to run a stock and stay light. I you want to run a heavier barrel profile or a long rail I see no point going under 16". Faxon make barrels with a built in fh, and they allow the gas block to come off, nice feature.

I also really like a 7.5" pistol for cqb and inside the home uses. SBa3 all the way, best option out there. Not too heavy either, since it uses a std 6 pos tube (which is ligher than most pistol tubes).

Not a chance that I would do paperwork. The 2 options above are great, and i can see no benefit paying 200 bucks.

I also have a 10.5 pistol and it handles well. SBa3 on that one too.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    John1994
    Top Bottom