Custom rifle builders in LA?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    191   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Shawn Broussard in Iota. Titan Precision

Pm me for info

Here is one he has done for me.
    Built of a nitrided defiance deviant chambered in 6x47 L.

d2699b5ed69c3fe115b5d9214ada48b4.png

Last edited:

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    I bought a Masterpiece Arms in 6x47 Lapua and am very happy with it. You can chose your caliber, barrel contour and trigger. They use Stiller Actions. They manufacture the stock and barrels. I'm left handed and was limited in my choices.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    191   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Also, saw your post about looking for a Remington Action. By the time you true it and put a bolt knob on it, you will be into it the same money as a Stiller or cheaper defiance. Expecially if the bolt is way out of wack and needs replacement or you have to bush the bolt. Other common upgrades are to the extractor and installation of side bolt release on it. If you are building a custom, do so off a good platform that does not need modification. The action is the core of the build.

Last edited:

jcomar1

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    I bought a Masterpiece Arms in 6x47 Lapua and am very happy with it. You can chose your caliber, barrel contour and trigger. They use Stiller Actions. They manufacture the stock and barrels. I'm left handed and was limited in my choices.

Actually they will let you pick any number of actions. They prefer the Curtis at the moment but they built mine on a BigHorn TL3 earlier this year. +1 for MPA though, I love my MPA rifle. It's a hammer.

OP if you are serious about shooting PRS with it look really hard at the MPA chassis. It's designed for PRS matches. You should come to a match and check it out first if you can. You just missed one that we had on Saturday. There's another this month and another next month, and will prob be one in december also.

Also Mickey knows what he's talking about. Go with a custom action. You will be glad you did. It will last you many lifetimes. I know PRS shooters with 50k rounds on some custom actions.

But to answer your original question in this post, there seems to be a custom gun builder on every corner these days lol. But if you are going to put the money out make sure you go with someone reputable. PM me if you want a list, I've met a number of them at PRS matches. Especially the ones that put their money where their mouth is, and use their rifles in matches, and have others at the matches using them too.

Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    This...I own 4 MPA chassis, in 3 calibers. 3 of the four, MPA did the complete builds, to include their barrels. The 4th, was built by Titan, which Mickey already gave props to. It's my .223 Trainer, and it's a hammer. A+ for Titan in my book. If you're looking to build a rifle for Precision Rifle matches, the MPA Comp chassis is at the top of the list. Though it's not a La based Co, the guy that runs that part of Masterpiece Arms IS from La, and does shoot Precison Rifle(he actually qualified for the Finale' last year.
    They can build it to whatever action that you'd like...it's your wallet.
    Or, you can order the chassis from them, and have someone in La do the rest.
    But, I can't stress enough that you need to attend a few matches, talk to shooters, and take a look at what's out there before making a significant purchase.

Actually they will let you pick any number of actions. They prefer the Curtis at the moment but they built mine on a BigHorn TL3 earlier this year. +1 for MPA though, I love my MPA rifle. It's a hammer.

OP if you are serious about shooting PRS with it look really hard at the MPA chassis. It's designed for PRS matches. You should come to a match and check it out first if you can. You just missed one that we had on Saturday. There's another this month and another next month, and will prob be one in december also.

Also Mickey knows what he's talking about. Go with a custom action. You will be glad you did. It will last you many lifetimes. I know PRS shooters with 50k rounds on some custom actions.

But to answer your original question in this post, there seems to be a custom gun builder on every corner these days lol. But if you are going to put the money out make sure you go with someone reputable. PM me if you want a list, I've met a number of them at PRS matches. Especially the ones that put their money where their mouth is, and use their rifles in matches, and have others at the matches using them too.

jcomar1

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    There's always, of course, Terry Cross. Terry is involved in the PR game as well, but his specialty is of course building for LEO and Military.
    https://www.kmwlrs.com/sentinel

Agreed. He would have been one of the builders I'd suggest. Shot with him at 2 of the last 3 matches. Great guy. Very accomplished and knows everything about rifle building, training, and competing.

By the way OP, you didn't talk about calibers in this thread but most PRS guys have moved to (or have always favored) the 6mm calibers. Including Terry, who's been using 6xc in the matches.

IGCHRIS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2016
    Madisonville
    If anyone is looking for MPA we keep 6.5 CM w/ cutris actions on the shelf. At Interstate Guns.

tmalcombe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2018
    Raceland, LA
    Thanks man after hours of reseach last night I’ve decided to go with a Defiance if I go ahead with the build. Any thoughts on KRG chassis? Could you give me some more info on the next match? I’d really like to check it out.

jcomar1

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    If anyone is looking for MPA we keep 6.5 CM w/ cutris actions on the shelf. At Interstate Guns.

+1 for Interstate Guns. I got my MPA rifle from them. They carry them on the shelf and also have a direct line with MPA and can have them make your build in whatever caliber you choose. They also have other precision rifles there to compare. Plus they can hook you up with the optic you'll need... which in PRS is just as important as the rifle.

riverrat66

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 1, 2016
    The hills of St Helena parish
    I just met mr Tom Casey from Blood River Arms in springfield la. He builds some very nice custom rifles. I haven't used his services yet but he came highly recommended by several friends.

ARROWBEE

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2014
    Thibodaux
    Check me out at arrowbeeprecision.com. I am in Thibodaux and I specialize in custom bolt rifles. I shoot PRS and would be more than happy to help you get started.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom