U.S. military looking at new rifle?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Very interesting design (even if they misprinted the theoretical cyclic rate). The specs are incredible. I’m really anxious to see some comments. Don’t disappoint me guys.

https://gazette.com/military/army-m...cle_96cd214c-c290-11e8-9d41-27b5a0e767a4.html

My doubts center around barrel temps. 4 bores cut through one block of steel is gonna generate a lot of heat when firing. I know the rifle shown is supposed to be a ‘working prototype’ but that pic makes me have even more doubts. But, as with the advent of the
    M-16, anything drastically different is bound to stir a shitstorm of doubt and more.

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Interesting concept, but I think the title is misleading. Doesn’t sound like the military has given it any consideration at all (that’s not how the process works), just that he hopes they will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Interesting concept, but I think the title is misleading. Doesn’t sound like the military has given it any consideration at all (that’s not how the process works), just that he hopes they will.

Straight from the linked article:

"But goofy origins and cartoon-looks aside, this could be the gun of the future. The Army is studying Grier’s gun and has ordered a military-grade prototype."

"Grier has been asked to create a prototype to Army specifications for testing. The Army will run the rifle through its paces to determine if his idea is worthy of the battlefield."

Did you even read the article?

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    At least someone is out there thinking outside the box. And he is correct, look at all the products we take for granted now that started out in a garage.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Straight from the linked article:

"But goofy origins and cartoon-looks aside, this could be the gun of the future. The Army is studying Grier’s gun and has ordered a military-grade prototype."

"Grier has been asked to create a prototype to Army specifications for testing. The Army will run the rifle through its paces to determine if his idea is worthy of the battlefield."

Did you even read the article?

Sure did. My point is the title "Army might have found its new rifle in Colorado Springs garage" and subsequent language makes it sound like this thing is ready to replace the M4/M16. There is just no chance in hell. The Army may be interested in the tech at a novel level, but there is no way that or anything like it will make it to the hands of soldiers in the next 30 or 40 years. It took them what...over a decade and millions of dollars in testing just to upgrade the current service rifle with what basically amounts to a new handguard lol. There's just a ton of things wrong with this rifle for combat use. Most obviously the "magazine" pictured looks like almost the size and weight of a 200rd 5.56 drum, with a capacity of what appears to be 16 or 20rds.

The tech is cool, I'm super impressed with what he accomplished, and I do think we'll see more electronic-based weapons in the future, but we're not even remotely near there yet.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

Grier has been asked to create a prototype to Army specifications for testing. The Army will run the rifle through its paces to determine if his idea is worthy of the battlefield.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Sure did. My point is the title "Army might have found its new rifle in Colorado Springs garage" and subsequent language makes it sound like this thing is ready to replace the M4/M16. There is just no chance in hell. The Army may be interested in the tech at a novel level, but there is no way that or anything like it will make it to the hands of soldiers in the next 30 or 40 years. It took them what...over a decade and millions of dollars in testing just to upgrade the current service rifle with what basically amounts to a new handguard lol. There's just a ton of things wrong with this rifle for combat use. Most obviously the "magazine" pictured looks like almost the size and weight of a 200rd 5.56 drum, with a capacity of what appears to be 16 or 20rds.

The tech is cool, I'm super impressed with what he accomplished, and I do think we'll see more electronic-based weapons in the future, but we're not even remotely near there yet.
    There’s merit to your statement, but about as misleading as the title to that article if you will...considering that so far they’ve changed sidearms twice in a way shorter time and without spending as much as you say. I don’t see them jumping to go to this rifle either, but the military has indeed asked to test it. I just wonder how many people had to chew on a little crow casserole when the military adopted that black plastic stepchild of a rifle just a few decades back...

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

The mil-spec cartridge shown in a video from shot show held 5 rounds. Our basic load was 7 magazines with 210 rounds. Instead of 7 mags, I would have to carry 22 cartridges? Instead of a mag change where I let the mag drop free and shove in one magazine, I have to pull out multiple cartridges, make sure they are all oriented correctly, then push them all in without them coming apart, all while under fire?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    There’s merit to your statement, but about as misleading as the title to that article if you will...considering that so far they’ve changed sidearms twice in a way shorter time and without spending as much as you say. I don’t see them jumping to go to this rifle either, but the military has indeed asked to test it. I just wonder how many people had to chew on a little crow casserole when the military adopted that black plastic stepchild of a rifle just a few decades back...

You're right, I'm definitely generalizing a bit, but it's hard to get specific without any real info about the Army's intentions in testing that rifle other than the bold claim that they "might have found their new rifle" when they're currently not even looking for a new rifle.

As for their sidearms, the Beretta 92 was fielded from 1985-2017 (32 years) with the M1911 being in service for 74 years prior. Unless you're including SOCOM type stuff or other branches?

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    You're right, I'm definitely generalizing a bit, but it's hard to get specific without any real info about the Army's intentions in testing that rifle other than the bold claim that they "might have found their new rifle" when they're currently not even looking for a new rifle.

As for their sidearms, the Beretta 92 was fielded from 1985-2017 (32 years) with the M1911 being in service for 74 years prior. Unless you're including SOCOM type stuff or other branches?

My take on it is the author of the article is writing what the inventor told him. So he is basically just taking what the inventor is saying as being true, with no fact checking. A parrot, if you will, which is even better than a paid advertisement.
    Conceptually the rifle doesn't make a lot of sense in a couple of ways, not that I have ever been in the military. I would think there are much more interesting technologies and problem to solve.

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010

No one chewed on crow, it was ram rodded down their throats much to the dismay of the early issuees.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    This is fake news to throw everybody off the scent of the Ray Gun that will replace the modern battle rifles in use today. They are close to reverse engineering the ones seized at the Roswell site. Earlier attempts were the reason for the cow mutilation that were reported to have been by some sort of laser cutter. Just wait you’ll see. I can’t wait for Glock to come out with a pistol version. The Glock 19 X-Ray.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    This is fake news to throw everybody off the scent of the Ray Gun that will replace the modern battle rifles in use today. They are close to reverse engineering the ones seized at the Roswell site. Earlier attempts were the reason for the cow mutilation that were reported to have been by some sort of laser cutter. Just wait you’ll see. I can’t wait for Glock to come out with a pistol version. The Glock 19 X-Ray.

*Phaser

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Oh GFW, I guess I gotta spell it out. When I said they changed sidearms in short order, I meant without all the time and money you mentioned to do so, not that they only kept one for a week or so. And now Sig has that contract? Anyway, I expected more of a shitstorm from you guys for even having dared to post the article so I’m pretty disappointed actually. Carry on...

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Wasn't there a tank/ arti version of the same idea? IIRC 24 rounds in a metal block preloaded in short barrels?

As far as this being the army it was probably DARPA.

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Wasn't there a tank/ arti version of the same idea? IIRC 24 rounds in a metal block preloaded in short barrels?

As far as this being the army it was probably DARPA.

On the TV program “Future Weapons” in one episode they featured a product called “Metal Storm”. It is a multi-barrel technology with multiple rounds loaded into each barrel.

“Metal Storm has created a 36-barreled stacked projectile volley gun, boasting the highest rate of fire in the world. The prototype array demonstrated a firing rate of just over 1 million rounds per minute for a 180-round burst of 0.01 seconds (~27,777 rpm / barrel). Firing within 0.1 seconds from up to 1600 barrels (at maximum configuration) the gun claimed a maximum rate of fire of 1.62 million RPM and creating a dense wall (0.1 m between follow-up projectiles) of 24,000 projectiles.”

It was claimed that the configuration would scale up or down so that it could be made into a rifle-sized device up through a large artillery piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom