Winchester 1897

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I have a friend that wants a value on an old 1897. I'm pretty sure these pics are not sufficient to appraise this shotgun, but I'm starting with these. If anyone knows what other info I should ask him for, please holler.

e8m6ctf8jpz3iz5bfben.jpg

nsguhk2i7r8h687a4px2.jpg

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    There's a lot of variables that can't be discerned from the photos, but based on the wear in the finish and the surface corrosion I'd start with a figure of about $300 or so and go from there. That's based on the cracked wood and the poor finish; that also assumes that most (if not all) of the parts are original to the gun.

Some will depend on the gun's age. Here's a date chart that can be used to date most old Winchesters by serial number:

http://www.winchesterguns.com/conte...ture-Dates-by-Year-2012-Scanned-Documents.pdf

(Make sure you scroll down to the page for the Model 1897. The list starts with the Model 1866 and goes from there ...)

Mike

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    As aforementioned look up the production date based on serial, then head to the advanced search section of Gunbroker.com. Search "(18??-19?)The year of production and Winchester 1897" under completed auctions and try to find one in similar shape to see what it sold for.

You will be surprised that many of them aren't as pricey as you would have hoped as a owner. The trench gun models are where the big bucks are. Tell your buddy good luck on his hunt!

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    One more thing: on closer inspection of the photos, I believe this to be a takedown model. This doesn't help the value much (unless it's in superb condition), but if the takedown threads are buggered, then it'll be worth even less.

These were (are) fantastic shotguns, but they generally weren't babied in the way that other guns are (especially if it was used to hunt waterfoul). Which is not to say that a classic like this isn't collectible ... it's just not worth what one might think.

FWIW ... I have a Winchester Model 12 (the successor to this gun), in better condition (and it dates to the 1920's, so it's not a "new" gun by any stretch). It's probably worth in the neighborhood of $400 to $500. That said, it's a superb shooter with light loads.

Mike

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Thanks for all the awesome replies. Awaiting serial number from him. I checked on GB first to see what the range was, and there were some pricey ones as well, but very old in superb condition. I suspect it will become a wall hanger, but we will wait and see.

Top Bottom