About 400 Firearms Stolen from UPS.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    About 400 Firearms Stolen from UPS in Memphis.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - About 400 guns have been stolen from a United Parcel Service facility in Memphis, Tennessee, and authorities are concerned about the theft's potential effect on public safety in this city and elsewhere.
    Two people driving a U-Haul truck stole the weapons from a UPS facility in Memphis on Sunday, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives said Monday. The agency is asking for the public's help in the case: It offered a $5,000 reward for information leading to an arrest and conviction.

Investigators are looking into exactly how many guns were taken, but the estimate of 400 stolen firearms makes it one of the largest single gun thefts the ATF has investigated, bureau spokesman Michael Knight said. ATF agents and the Memphis Police Department are reviewing manifests and bills to determine where the guns were shipped from and where they were going.
    Memphis, like other large metropolitan areas, has a problem with violent crime, including gun-related offenses. The metro area, with more than 1.3 million people, saw an estimated 15,737 violent crimes in 2017, FBI statistics showed.
    UPS said in a statement that it is working with law enforcement but does not comment on open investigations.
    Such a high number of stolen guns could present a danger to the safety of the public and first responders in the west Tennessee city and elsewhere because they could be transported to other places within hours, Knight said.
    "We are concerned that the firearms will end up on the streets not only potentially in the Memphis area, but also across the country," Knight said. "The criminal element knows no geographical boundary."
    ATF is asking the public to send it social media posts, photos or any other information related to the theft.
    Knight said investigating a theft from a shipping facility is more complicated than a gun shop, for example, because weapons at gun stores are isolated in inventory.
    "It's a very tedious process that we're looking at to make sure that every firearm is accounted for, from the shipper as well as from the receiver," Knight said.

Last edited:

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Much more to this story. UPS is very good about keeping their misdeeds hidden from the public. Hard for an outsider to get into a hub and take off with a truckload of specific boxes. Maybe it was at a pick-up point such as a major arms distributor such as Buds or someplace similar. Definitely inside detailed knowledge of what was in the boxes, when and where they would be and had access to them. Crazy and very big sac to pull it off.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I agree with the in-house job theory. No way anyone just happen to know about 400 guns being there. Was it only UPS employees? Hmmm... after that crazy fast and furious crock I’m open to almost any theory. I doubt the violent crime stats in Memphis will change either way tho.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    From the CNN website:

The burglary occurred Sunday. Officials say two men drove up in a U-Haul truck and made off with about 400 guns.
    On Tuesday, the ATF's Chicago office said "hundreds of guns" stolen from the distribution center have been recovered in Illinois.
    The office said it has one person in custody, but it's looking for a second.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/02/us/guns-stolen-from-ups-trnd/index.html

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Looked it up this morning on city data. Memphis pop is 65% black, and crime is pretty rampant. I didn't realize this beforehand about Memphis.

Similar to Baton Rouge, New Orleans and Shreveport.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    So the guns wound up in Chicago of all places. Stinks to high heaven. And I’ll say it again, in-house. Ain’t no way 2 burglars happened upon 400 guns. I’m betting former or current UPS employee.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    So the guns wound up in Chicago of all places. Stinks to high heaven. And I’ll say it again, in-house. Ain’t no way 2 burglars happened upon 400 guns. I’m betting former or current UPS employee.

OR an employee of whoever was shipping the guns.

OR an employee of whoever was receiving... having a tracking number tells you where your shipment is.

Last edited:

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If these criminals were put in front of Judge Trudy White, she would have apologized that they were in a locked facility in the first place. After all, these are just good kids that made a bad decision.

But seriously ... since they took stolen firearms across state lines, I suspect they're going to get a lot of time in Club Fed.

Mike

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    People all over the place calling FFLs asking 'WHERE THE EFF IS MY GUN???' :doh:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    That news story says. 364 caliber firearms were recovered. Where can I get one a 364 caliber firearm and what does the ammo look like.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    OR an employee of whoever was shipping the guns.

OR an employee of whoever was receiving... having a tracking number tells you where your shipment is.
    still too much for an outsider (who apparently is lacking in the intelligence department) to pull off without at least one UPS employee involved. Somebody knew their way around that hub.

Top Bottom