WTB: AR15 Handguard

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dwhaley929

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Dec 14, 2016
    Baton Rouge LA
    This is my first AR build so if I say something stupid call me out.

I'm putting together a carbine length rifle and I'm looking for a handguard. I'd like one you can attach things to, like the bipod I got on here a while back. Thanks YM. This is not a picatinny attachment. That's the only one I know by name without help from my friend Google. I think the handguard is the last piece I need.

If any has one of these, or would just like to educate me (show off) on the ins and outs of ARs, I'd be grateful.

I have an upper/lower combo on the way for an AR10 project so parts for this gun are also needed.

Post here or PM. Thanks.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Could you tell us a little more about your setup? How long is the barrel? Do you have a low profile gas block or a front sight post? Do you want a free float handguard? What's the primary use of the weapon? Is weight a consideration? There's a very wide range of handguards available and they can serve a wide range of needs.

dwhaley929

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Dec 14, 2016
    Baton Rouge LA
    Could you tell us a little more about your setup? How long is the barrel? Do you have a low profile gas block or a front sight post? Do you want a free float handguard? What's the primary use of the weapon? Is weight a consideration? There's a very wide range of handguards available and they can serve a wide range of needs.

The barrel is 16" .223 Wylde. Low profile gas block. No front sight post. Scope on picatinny on top of the upper for sighting. I think I want a free float handguard but I'm not totally 100% on the different pros/cons. Target shooting is only use, and probably not past 200-300 yards. Weight doesn't matter.

Thanks very much for the response. This is exactly what I am looking for. You get a lot of different opinions when searching for each different factor you asked about. It hurts my brain.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The barrel is 16" .223 Wylde. Low profile gas block. No front sight post. Scope on picatinny on top of the upper for sighting. I think I want a free float handguard but I'm not totally 100% on the different pros/cons. Target shooting is only use, and probably not past 200-300 yards. Weight doesn't matter.

Thanks very much for the response. This is exactly what I am looking for. You get a lot of different opinions when searching for each different factor you asked about. It hurts my brain.

A free float handguard only makes contact with the weapon where the barrel meets the upper. More importantly, it does not make contact with the barrel out toward the business end. That isolates any movement of the handguard and doesn't move the barrel which could decrease the accuracy of the barrel for longer shots. A longer handguard is heavier than a shorter handguard (obviously) but it also allows a bipod to be mounted further out. This will also decrease the effect of movement on the buttstock end. The longer handguard also allows for a longer sight radius.

You said your bipod isn't picatinny. Is it the traditional bipod mount? A lot of rails nowadays have a rail on top and either m-lok or keymod at the 3, 6, and 9 o'clock. Some m-lok rails have slots at the 45 degree positions as well. You can easily find a bipod adaptor for either platform. The m-lok system outperforms the keymod system in extreme conditions but you and I will likely never experience those conditions so either platform should work. And there's a good chance whatever platform you pick may be the platform you stick with for interchangeability reasons.

Is this a budget build? A premium build? Or something in between? You can find handguards anywhere from $50-200.

dwhaley929

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Dec 14, 2016
    Baton Rouge LA
    A free float handguard only makes contact with the weapon where the barrel meets the upper. More importantly, it does not make contact with the barrel out toward the business end. That isolates any movement of the handguard and doesn't move the barrel which could decrease the accuracy of the barrel for longer shots. A longer handguard is heavier than a shorter handguard (obviously) but it also allows a bipod to be mounted further out. This will also decrease the effect of movement on the buttstock end. The longer handguard also allows for a longer sight radius.

You said your bipod isn't picatinny. Is it the traditional bipod mount? A lot of rails nowadays have a rail on top and either m-lok or keymod at the 3, 6, and 9 o'clock. Some m-lok rails have slots at the 45 degree positions as well. You can easily find a bipod adaptor for either platform. The m-lok system outperforms the keymod system in extreme conditions but you and I will likely never experience those conditions so either platform should work. And there's a good chance whatever platform you pick may be the platform you stick with for interchangeability reasons.

Is this a budget build? A premium build? Or something in between? You can find handguards anywhere from $50-200.

More great info. It's a learning build so definitely budget. I appreciate you taking the time to educate this newbie.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Check out the link below. It's not a top tier handguard but they are very decent quality. I have one on my Springfield SAR-8 and I like it. If you do a search on gun.deals for "handguards" you'll see a lot of option at a lot of prices. And remember, not all budget parts are good and not all premium parts are worth the money.

https://gun.deals/product/aimsport-15”-mlok-rail-gen-2-anti-rotation-tabs

dwhaley929

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Dec 14, 2016
    Baton Rouge LA
    Check out the link below. It's not a top tier handguard but they are very decent quality. I have one on my Springfield SAR-8 and I like it. If you do a search on gun.deals for "handguards" you'll see a lot of option at a lot of prices. And remember, not all budget parts are good and not all premium parts are worth the money.

https://gun.deals/product/aimsport-15”-mlok-rail-gen-2-anti-rotation-tabs

I think I'm going to order the 15" version tomorrow. I was hoping someone on her would have one. I like instant gratification. I'm a American dammit! :cool:

Thanks again.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom