Need advice on bullet and twist for hog hunting.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    Buddy of mine wants a 16 inch ar built in 300 for hog hunting. Anyone have a proven twist rate and bullet combo?

Must be off the shelf ammo. Rifle will never be suppressed.

What say the masses?

And then scope recommendations with a BDC for said bullet weight. Most shots will be 50 to 100 yards. Occasionally out to 150ish

Last edited:

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    I’m in no way an expert. But my two cents;
    1 in 10 twist seems to be the go to in .30 cal
    Primary arm makes a 1-6x with the acss reticle doped to 7.62x39/.300blk

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Great answer for scope above.

If never shooting suppressed or subsonic, 1:8 twist is pretty much standard and will stabilize anything you need. I've only seen 1:7 or 1:8 on 300blk. The 1:7 advantage is better for shooting heavier, subsonic bullets

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I may be wrong (and I'm sure no less than 7 people will correct me if I am) but I thought the 300 blk was optimized for a 9"-10" barrel. I've always heard/read that there are only marginal improvements when going to a 16" barrel that are generally offset by the added weight/length. Does your buddy just want a 300 blk or does he specifically want/need it to be a rifle?

Last edited:

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    I may be wrong (and I'm sure no less than 7 people will correct me if I am) but I thought the 300 blk was optimized for a 9"-10" barrel. I've always heard/read that there are only marginal improvements when going to a 16" barrel that are generally offset by the added weight/length. Does your buddy just want a 300 blk or does he specifically want/need it to be a rifle?

From all the studies I've read, your correct. 10 inches give complete powder burn. But..... 16 inch gives a tad bit more velocity.
    He runs a non profit in Texas that gives Vets a place to go to hunt with assistance if needed. He wants a 300 platform in 16 inch. Most of the hog hunts are over bait from a blind. So 16 inch gives enough room to use a bipod or rest.

Soo.. all my reading shows 16 inch will give complete powder burn and good performance. Now in trying to research twist rates and commercial readily available over the counter ammo. My 300 is a tack driver. I'm running a 10 inch ballistic advantage barrel. But I'm set up to shoot with a can. He will not be shooting suppressed with this rifle.
    I'm just looking for actual real world experiences with twist verses weight.

And yes. That scope fit the bill. I ordered it a hour ago.

meauxcg

Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    May 27, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    proven twist rate and bullet combo? you are WAY over thinking things. Any 16" 300 barrel and an expanding bullet. Barnes has a full copper 130gr for blackout.

Top Bottom