Big revolver recommendations

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    I'll vote Raging Bull in .454. Mine wears a 6" bbl but they can be had in shorter versions AND in 44 mag if you prefer. I like the big heavies but you can also load hot 45 Colts as mentioned before. These guns are well built and accurate. I know you are concerned about bad breath distance but the .454 shoots pretty flat too. It carries as much energy at 100 yards as the 44 does at the muzzle. It ultimately depends on your "want" and your budget.

Frogman

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Denham Springs, LA
    The .44 magnum is the pistol for me. I recently bought a Taurus Tracker. It is lightweight and easy to carry with a 4 in. barrel. It is also inexpensive at $430-$450. I don't suspect you are buying this revolver for plinking. This is your gun, and it will get the job done , should you encounter a hostile bear.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Yeah but its a Taurus. A quick google search reveals owners having timing problems and pistols/cylinders locking up. Finding unhappy Taurus pistol owners is very easy. Oh and the Taurus warranty is now one year, since January 1, 2017.

http://www.guntalkworld.com/forums/showthread.php?3617-Problems-with-Taurus-Raging-Bull

https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/taurus-revolvers/34558-454-raging-bull-problem.html

https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/taurus-product-problems/

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.guns/UotF-BjhsHY

Last edited:

headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    Good info guys. And I was almost ready to *pull the trigger* on a Taurus. Leads me to the next question, and a heavily debated one online - would a 10mm work? A glock 20 would make me feel quite comfortable with 15 extreme penetrator rounds. Half the weight , with triple the rounds in a more compact package

Last edited:

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Good info guys. And I was almost ready to *pull the trigger* on a Taurus. Leads me to the next question, and a heavily debated one online - would a 10mm work? A glock 20 would make me feel quite comfortable with 15 extreme penetrator rounds. Half the weight , with triple the rounds in a more compact package

Well that's the answer lol... Look into a 460 rowland conversion. I am doing that to my Norinco 1911, but there are conversions for Glock, Springfield and FN 45 pistols... Look it up. That is the reason I am getting rid of my 44....

Gunbeaux

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Boothville La.
    I know this is kind of a small cal for bear but a 10mm is as hot as a 357 if loaded right and the Glock 29 is compact and can use a Glock 20 mag that is 15 plus one and is not as expensive as a 44 mag revolver unless you are using a Taurus

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado

People have problems with all makes. I generally don't mind a Taurus revolver. I generally carry one on me.... I alternate between it and a S&W J frame.

The Taurus has been in my possession for years. Shoots well. Quite comfortable. Eats .357 Mags fine.

I keep it because it ain't worth selling.

That being said, a Ruger or Smith holds value way better.

Feral45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2015
    Breaux Bridge, Louisiana
    You don't need anybody's opinion. You got it right the first time. Good pistol, hot ammo. When you can empty a mag chasing a 5 gal bucket around the back yard, you are ready to head north.
    I wish you good hunting.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    People have problems with all makes. I generally don't mind a Taurus revolver. I generally carry one on me.... I alternate between it and a S&W J frame.

The Taurus has been in my possession for years. Shoots well. Quite comfortable. Eats .357 Mags fine.

I also have a Taurus 689 revolver -- shoots very well, .357Mag or .38Ssp. My FIL had it since new, shot it a whole bunch now I have it. No issues, very good shooter. I have other revolvers to compare it to including S&W's and Ruger.....

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I also have a Taurus 689 revolver -- shoots very well, .357Mag or .38Ssp. My FIL had it since new, shot it a whole bunch now I have it. No issues, very good shooter. I have other revolvers to compare it to including S&W's and Ruger.....

Taurus is a good pistol if you don't mind a one year warranty on their new firearms since 1/1/2017.

Here are 2600+ threads of unhappy Taurus owners. Spend a little time reading a few pages:

https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/taurus-product-problems/

I own 2 Taurus pistols, but there are way better choices available today. With a vastly superior warranty, and customer service.

Last edited:

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette

I'm not a fan boy or snob for any make or model. I've had my RB for 10 or more years and never a problem. Don't be afraid of them.

1st article above sounds like a problem.
    2nd article sounds like cleaning his gun fixed it.
    3rd link goes to a Taurus sight and doesnt support the arguement.
    4th article seems to be more ammo related than a gun quality isssue.

I've got many hundreds of rounds thru mine and would absolutely trust it in bear country.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Got an wilderness elk hunt coming up and I’m trying to decide on which revolver will keep the bears from coming in the tent. I am planning on packing around in a holster.

Which caliber and size?

If you can and still able try to get a video of the bear trying to eat you and post it for us? Should make for a good thread,Thanks

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I had a Taurus M44 6 shot 44 mag with 4" ported barrel and never had any problems with it and it was more comfortable to shoot than a Ruger Redhawk 44mag 4" I had. I have a Ruger Redhawk 4" 41 Magnum now and it's really comfortable to shoot. The Ruger Redhawk 44 Mag 5.5" barrel was comfortable to shoot.

Top Bottom