Big revolver recommendations

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I'm going to vote for never putting the rifle down and carrying more ammo instead of a handgun! Brown bear are huge!

I'd vote for a 10mm for a handgun though. Most people can get more rounds off out of a pistol than a revolver. And if you're about to be eaten by a bear then careful aimed fire is going right out the window! I think it'll be more backing up and shooting as fast as you can while screaming bloody murder! :)

Expert684

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Lafayette
    Everyone threw in caliber and gun, but what ever you decide on I would be darn sure you have the right ammo for big game. Maybe read up on penetration requirements into vital organs of large animals? I used to know a guy that did wild pig hunting with an Automag, he said every hunt there was someone with a M1A with a full 20 round magazine as back up in case the pistol failed to stop the pig. He said there was a few times they had to use the M1A, it would have been ugly if they did not have it.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I’d be inclined to agree with the VR 460, given the versatility and of course the power BUT, with the size and weight I’d just as soon shoulder a rifle.
    Best bet I can think of is a nice Ruger 44 mag, red or black, both nice birds, but I bet that double action would come in handy if a bear was coming to give you a kiss. I favor a desert eagle for the extra firepower and quick follow up...eh, not to mention the ability to shove another 8 rounds in it pretty quick.

Last edited:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I’d be inclined to agree with the VR 460, given the versatility and of course the power BUT, with the size and weight I’d just as soon shoulder a rifle.
    Best bet I can think of is a nice Ruger 44 mag, red or black, both nice birds, but I bet that double action would come in handy if a bear was coming to give you a kiss. I favor a desert eagle for the extra firepower and quick follow up...eh, not to mention the ability to shove another 8 rounds in it pretty quick.

With the Desert Eagle you could live up to your name and perform Magdump

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I came face to face with a big hog once with no where to go and nothing but a spyderco. Not fun. I don't want to think about a grizzly. My dad did once in Alberta while hold an enfield. He decided that it wasn't enough gun and didn't take the shot. (Long funny stories behind both of those events... If there's ever another BS.com dinner ask me... ).
    .45/70 lever action? An AR-10 in something much more powerful than .308?

Roadkingclsc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Bogalusa La
    I have read that a .357 mag will stop a grizzly, but I think I would feel much safer with a .44 mag. Would hate to get mauled because of some sportswriters misguided opinion

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I have read that a .357 mag will stop a grizzly, but I think I would feel much safer with a .44 mag. Would hate to get mauled because of some sportswriters misguided opinion

44 mag or better.
    Sleeping with one of the new 14" barreled mossberg or remington pump 12 gauge shotguns loaded with slugs would make me more comfortable. No man or beast in North America defies well placed 12 gauge slugs @ short range.

https://www.remington.com/other-products/model-870-tac-14

headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    Based on the countless hours of reading and just gut feelings, I just purchased the Glock 40 10mm. Should be plenty adequate for head or spine shots. Don’t really matter if you hit it in the heart with a rifle, it could still have time to maul u if it’s charging.

I’ve shot 200 lb deer in the vitals with a 300wsm and have had them run 100 yards. Freaking grizzly is way bigger and badder than a deer.

BTW- it’s an archery elk hunt. That’s why I’m not packing a rifle

Top Bottom