Big revolver recommendations

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    Got an wilderness elk hunt coming up and I’m trying to decide on which revolver will keep the bears from coming in the tent. I am planning on packing around in a holster.

Which caliber and size?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    If the bear gets in the tent, you're ****ed. Best to keep anything the bear may want very far from the tent in a bear bag. Aside from that, a .44 mag wouldn't be the worst choice you could keep with you. Personally, I'd prefer something like a AR-10 with a 30 rd mag, and all of my buddies having the same thing, but that's just me.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I am going to agree with Austin here 44mag and 30 cal rifle

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    The 44 magnum revolver is a great gun. If you want something in a semi-auto check out the 460 Rowland, also a great gun. If you want something even bigger check out a 454 Casull. The 460 Rowland will be the lightest of the 3 and on a 1911 frame there are many different holsters available to suit your preference. Good luck hunting.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I'm partial to guns in caliber .45 and would likely choose a Ruger Alaskan in .454 Casull.

If weight is a concern, a light weight .44 mag would be a good choice. S&W would be the one to get.

headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    My #1 right now would be a 460 s&w because of the versatility. Being able to shoot 45LC, 454, & 460 is pretty cool. Only problem is I handled one with an 8* barrel and it was HEAVY. Would going to a shorter barrel to reduce weight and easier drawing make the recoil too great to easily handle?

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    Depends on the bear. If you're hunting from NW Wy through western MT and might encounter Griz, I'd use the S&W 629 4" or 5". If elsewhere in the US, you're in black bear range and the 629 is good, or the S&W 686 w/ 4" or 5" bbl is adequate, lighter and more versatile with the .38spl option.

LaBelle

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Near Natchitoches
    I lived in Alaska for several years, and worked at the oldest gunshop in Anchorage.

By far the handgun we sold the most of was a 4" S&W 629, and using solid brass bullets, which, unfortunately are no longer available.
    This was the early-mid 90s, and some guys with larger hands liked the Redhawk, but not the barrel length available at the time. They began chopping their Ruger Redhawk barrels down to 3-4" specifically as a close-in bear gun. Years later, Ruger came out with the shorter Redhawk called the "Alaskan". (Wonder where that came from??!!)

One of the guys at the shop had a close encounter with a grizzly, shot it as it was charging him, with the 629/brass bullet combo. Entered chest, broke ribs and was found lodged against the hip. No deformities to bullet, and it dropped the bear within touching distance.

The .44 mag does work, just remember bullet choice and placement are key.

Big Steve

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    Plaquemine, LA
    I would go with a good .44 Magnum. 4"-6" will still give you power, shootability, and decent portability. I know they make bigger, more powerful handguns, but I made a rule for myself a long time ago. If a .44 Magnum isn't up to the task at hand, I'm gonna go with a rifle or shotgun.

The only other option I consider for brown bear would be a Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt. Loaded with Ruger Blackhawk Only loads. Same barrel lengths as above.

BTW, I am not a brown bear expert. I know nothing about them and all my outdoor adventures are usually in Louisiana swamps or Texas bird hunting haunts. As so, I always just carry a .357 Magnum or .40 S&W. Those 2 rounds will take care of any critters I may encounter here.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Last night I stopped at Cabelas on the way home from Boston Rouge. It was right at 830 and wanted to use the facilities and look see fast and get back home. They had on the end Large revolver case. There was not a one that would not have worked. Few S&W performance ones too. I have 3 357 but wanted that 686 performance 6 inch. The 460 XVR the 3 or 4 500s they had and the rest were all calling my name. A Stripper may have walked buy and I never saw her. As I was just drooling over them all them big guns.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom