Join BayouShooter For Free
Brass

Page 1 of 5 12 ... LastLast
    Mentally Hilarious

User Info Menu

Big revolver recommendations

Got an wilderness elk hunt coming up and Im trying to decide on which revolver will keep the bears from coming in the tent. I am planning on packing around in a holster.

Which caliber and size?
    I'd rather die like a lion, then to live like a pu$$y

Marksman

User Info Menu

44 Mag can and has killed everything in North America

Marksman

Premium Member

User Info Menu

I'd also take a .44 magnum over anything else.

-Administrator-
    Make your own luck

User Info Menu

If the bear gets in the tent, you're ****ed. Best to keep anything the bear may want very far from the tent in a bear bag. Aside from that, a .44 mag wouldn't be the worst choice you could keep with you. Personally, I'd prefer something like a AR-10 with a 30 rd mag, and all of my buddies having the same thing, but that's just me.
    -- Austin

"There is no "i" in team but there is in win. "
    --Michael Jordan

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

-Global Mod-

User Info Menu

I am going to agree with Austin here 44mag and 30 cal rifle

Marksman

User Info Menu

The 44 magnum revolver is a great gun. If you want something in a semi-auto check out the 460 Rowland, also a great gun. If you want something even bigger check out a 454 Casull. The 460 Rowland will be the lightest of the 3 and on a 1911 frame there are many different holsters available to suit your preference. Good luck hunting.

No sir, I ain't.

User Info Menu

I'm partial to guns in caliber .45 and would likely choose a Ruger Alaskan in .454 Casull.

If weight is a concern, a light weight .44 mag would be a good choice. S&W would be the one to get.
    Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop.

Mentally Hilarious

User Info Menu

My #1 right now would be a 460 s&w because of the versatility. Being able to shoot 45LC, 454, & 460 is pretty cool. Only problem is I handled one with an 8* barrel and it was HEAVY. Would going to a shorter barrel to reduce weight and easier drawing make the recoil too great to easily handle?
    I'd rather die like a lion, then to live like a pu$$y

Marksman

User Info Menu

Depends on the bear. If you're hunting from NW Wy through western MT and might encounter Griz, I'd use the S&W 629 4" or 5". If elsewhere in the US, you're in black bear range and the 629 is good, or the S&W 686 w/ 4" or 5" bbl is adequate, lighter and more versatile with the .38spl option.
    "Incrementalism" is the weapon used by anti-gun forces to destroy the second amendment.
    "Compromise" is a negotiation term that can only be used one time - when you compromise a compromise, you have lost the entire issue.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter S. Thompson

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

I'd use The Judge, 1st shot of #8 in the eyes to blind em,The rest loaded with 45 colt.
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our's Today"

Voting is the responsibility of a citizen, even if voting may not necessarily be obligatory. To not vote seems to me to be an abrogation of one's responsibility as a citizen, regardless of one's politics.