Aaarrrgggghhh!!!!!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LaBelle

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Near Natchitoches
    My heart skipped a beat when I opened my email this morning, and saw new mail from.....CMP with a "CMP sales update".
    :bravo::bravo:

Instantly I envisioned the immediate future in which I was selecting the grade of the 1911 pistol I would be getting, making room in the safe, taking lots of photos....
    :run:

And then the big let down.
    It was just about Creedmore ammo, and more Garands available.
    :curse:

Aw POOH!
    :wtc:

LaBelle

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Near Natchitoches
    IT FINALLY HAPPENED!!!

My RGN was 18601 and thought I would never hear, but......

Got "The Call" this morning and was offered all 3 grades, picked Service grade and requested, if possible, same manufacture frame & slide.

Won't ship out until Jan. 5, 2021, oh well, what's another week after 2 YEARS!!

LOL!

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    What is CMP? I found the website but not understanding what exactly it is all about.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    What is CMP? I found the website but not understanding what exactly it is all about.

I've read up on it in the past. From what I understand, you join a club that gives you CMP membership (see https://thecmp.org/faq/how-do-i-become-a-member-of-the-cmp/)

Then using that membership you can get purchase firearms - https://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/

I think the main highlights are the M1 Garand and 1911 at a pretty good deal but think there's a limit on how many you can order.

frankinola

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    cmp is to help civilians learn marksmen skill....they sell surplus US issued rifles and in this case 1911's.

LaBelle

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Near Natchitoches
    Actually, the CMP hadn't sold any 1911s since the 60s, I believe.

BUT... in 2018 the Army announced that an agreement had been made with CMP and were releasing 8,000 pistols in 2019 to be sold. A separate "application packet" to purchase was required, and only one purchase per person for lifetime.

The completed packets & supporting documentation had to be mailed/Fedexed in but could not be postmarked prior to a specified date in January 2019.

The packets, once all were received, were assigned a Randomly Generated Number (RGN), and once the pistols had been received by CMP, they were sorted, graded for condition, and made ready for customer purchase. Application packets were pulled numerically. Provided all required documentation was complete/in date (memberships, FFL) that person was called and offered their choice of whatever grades were currently available, Service (good), Field (not bad), Rack (useable).

As you can imagine, only 8,000 pistols.... my RGN was 18,601, I pretty much figured I'd never get one.

But....(don'tcha just love that word)....The Army QUIETLY released another batch (don't need to stir up the politicos looking for headlines), and enough packets were incomplete, didn't qualify, or no answer/response when called, so that my number came up.

Another round of applications to purchase to be opened up was announced earlier this month, and the postmark for this round must be on or after January 4, 2021. Any packets postmarked earlier than that will be disqualified.

I highly suggest if you are interested, download the packet, read the instructions on what all you will need to provide and put in for one. WARNING - this could be a long-term event, depending on number of packets received, and what RGN number you're assigned.

NOTE: Even if you have a C&R, you must go through an FFL, part of the deal made before the Army would allow the transfer of pistols, your name is run through when packet approved, and another through your local FFL. So, two NICS checks before you take it home.

Wikun

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    Metairie, La
    The CMP is government chartered. It is a basically a federally sponsored program for marksmanship and weapons training in the US. Sooooo, to take you into the history realm, just prior to the turn of the 20th century saw a large number of world powers getting their rear ends kicked all over the globe. Specifically the British, specifically between the Zulu War and the Boer Wars. During this time, England granted a Royal (read formal recognition) chart to the British NRA in england to promote firearms training for average citizens. The reason is that during the last 30 years of the 1800's the english were throwing boys into service many of which had never picked up a gun much less fired one, and as you can imagine that did not work out well overseas. Couple that with formal British Regimental style tactics against what were considered at the time "unconventional adversaries" and you have a recipe for disaster.
    So the formal chartering of the BNRA established ranges and allotted rifles for "fun". there were shooting competitions, training seminars, all types of formal meet and greet shooting events. This formalization occurred in 1890 for the brits.

The US saw this and recognized that they too may have a need to call up boys and men to service so in 1903, Congress chartered our CMP. This did the same things as stated above for us. I don't think ours was ever instrumental as we have had engagements through out our history and guns have more or less been a tenement of our american society, but never the less that was the CMP.

Nowadays the mission I think has changed to training, range chartering and government direct to public sales. Hope that helps explain. I also actually have an original Martini Henry training rifle that shoots 22. Converted by Greene. Shoots literally lights out at everything I have pointed it at.

LaBelle

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Near Natchitoches
    Picked it up Thursday!

A 1945 Remington Rand frame & slide!
    Came with an Italian Mec-Gar mag, but the case the gun came in is sweet!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom