Outdoor Range for my Daughter

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ctglenn8386

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Carencro
    I am looking for an Outdoor Range for my daughter at 100 yards. Need it to be close to the Lafayette area and would prefer not to join a private range. Any ideas would be extremely helpful.

mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs
    Sherburne has a 100 yard rifle and a 25 yard pistol range. It is an *open the the public* range run by LWF. The only the thing required is any type of hunting/fishing license. Bring your own targets and stapler. They do have boards to hang your targets on though. Go early to beat the crazy people. Range opens basically at sunrise.

Last edited:

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Only bad thing about Sherburne is that since it is open to the public the weekends are packed and not everyone is as conscientious about firearm safety as most folks on this board. This time of year every bubba hunter that hasn't touched their hunting rifle since last year shows up with his rifle, a paper plate and a box of ammo. I have had to loan them my stapler and they stand there with their fingers in their ears for hearing protection. It can be a dangerous place on the weekends.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Only bad thing about Sherburne is that since it is open to the public the weekends are packed and not everyone is as conscientious about firearm safety as most folks on this board. This time of year every bubba hunter that hasn't touched their hunting rifle since last year shows up with his rifle, a paper plate and a box of ammo. I have had to loan them my stapler and they stand there with their fingers in their ears for hearing protection. It can be a dangerous place on the weekends.

It sounds pretty dangerous. You should charge em $3 each to use ur stapler :)

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    The New Iberia sheriffs range is open to the general public Wed/Sun afternoons and Sat morning. You could also check the sheriffs range in Lafayette.

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I am looking for an Outdoor Range for my daughter at 100 yards. Need it to be close to the Lafayette area and would prefer not to join a private range. Any ideas would be extremely helpful.

The Lafayette parish sheriff's range has a 100 yd line. I understand they are open to the public one Saturday morning per month. The Iberia sheriffs' range is very nice also, but a bit of a drive from Carencro.

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    The Lafayette parish sheriff's range has a 100 yd line. I understand they are open to the public one Saturday morning per month. The Iberia sheriffs' range is very nice also, but a bit of a drive from Carencro.

Its been years but Lafayettes Saturday hours were 7-11 AM, and I'm not much of an early riser.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    IPSO Range has 7 100yd covered rifle lanes and 2 15 yd open sight-in rifle benches. Minimum age is 12 but Range Master usually will make an exception if he feels the child is well supervised. Between Broussard and New Iberia right off of Hwy 90. Free and public hours as stated above.

bayouteche85

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2007
    Breaux Bridge
    I do not know how old your daughter is but when my oldest son was old enough to start shooting with me, that’s when I said *screw it* and gave up on Sherburne, IPSO, St. Mary SO, etc and just joined the Fusilier Complex. Worth every penny.

I have confidence in most of the members I’ve met and all of the RSO’s. My oldest is now ten and has learned a tremendous amount in both gun safety and pistol marksmanship from members. There is a level of comfort when shooting around others that was not there at the public ranges. Obviously I’m still very cautious around strangers with guns, but it is very easy to see how much more safety minded these folks are. I know spending the money may be a difficult pill to swallow, but it’s relatively cheap peace of mind. I’ve had too many bad experiences at those other ranges to go back to that...

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    I do not know how old your daughter is but when my oldest son was old enough to start shooting with me, that’s when I said *screw it* and gave up on Sherburne, IPSO, St. Mary SO, etc and just joined the Fusilier Complex. Worth every penny.

I have confidence in most of the members I’ve met and all of the RSO’s. My oldest is now ten and has learned a tremendous amount in both gun safety and pistol marksmanship from members. There is a level of comfort when shooting around others that was not there at the public ranges. Obviously I’m still very cautious around strangers with guns, but it is very easy to see how much more safety minded these folks are. I know spending the money may be a difficult pill to swallow, but it’s relatively cheap peace of mind. I’ve had too many bad experiences at those other ranges to go back to that...

If you have had a safety issue at the IPSO range please PM me so I can address the issue. Ed

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom