Hog hunting near Covington

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hashler

Weekend Warrior
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Denham Springs
    I go to Honey island. I have a couple friends that hunt Bogue chitto right at the pearl river turn around. I’ve never been to big branch in Lacombe but it’s close to you.

nickjone5

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2017
    Hammond
    Big branch in Lacombe, don’t think you can hunt hogs with anything bigger than a .22lr maybe a .22wmr. You can bow hunt for sure, but I believe hogs can’t be hunted with anything other than shotgun or .22 in big branch

nickjone5

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2017
    Hammond
    The big branch office is on the west side of hwy 434 heading towards the interstate from 190 right after you take the new traffic circle off 190 near bayou Lacombe. They have brochures with all info in their office

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    I've trapped hogs in both Big Branch and Fontainbleau and there is no shortage of them. Last time I was in Big Branch it was bow only for hunt. I didn't hunt it, but I sure saw opportunities when I trapped there. My recommendation would be a climber anywhere near the water. They prescribe burn regularly out there and it's created some really nice open areas. The hogs leave very clear paths. Climb a pine a little distance from one of those paths and you should have some good luck. Lots of acorn bearing oaks and rotting trees to hunt as well. Rotting trees provide lots of grubs and such for the hogs to root up. You may even be able to use a ground blind with a proper wind.

If you don't mind going a bit farther (45 mins), Pearl River WMA is the honey-hole for hogs. I've probably taken 50 out of there and those are probably rookie numbers. During small game I ground stalk with .22 magnum, or use .444 lever action during firearms season. It's just a great place to stalk. The best areas are where other hunters do not go. Pack a lunch and bring some sort of cart to wheel those 150-200# beasts out with -- cause a rope is only good for a few hundred yards. I've seen a hog in there as large as a cow. I think my best days in there was when it was really wet or raining.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom