I have to re-do fingerprints for a renewal application?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    I'm ready for my third concealed carry license and though it would be the easiest yet. After all, they've had all my records for 10 years now, so it should be easy.

Well, no.

I took my renewal class and sent all the information to Baton Rouge.

I thought I was in good shape until I got a certified letter telling me that I must get new fingerprints! What? Do fingerprints change?

No, the letter explains that around 2013 they got so many applications and so many sloppy fingerprints that they didn't do a proper background check on some applicants, so a re-do is necessary.

Now, mind you, my fingerprints were taken at a local sheriff's office and sent in for my initial 2008 application, and now they're saying I need to re-do them for something that rushed things in 2013.

What a PITA. It took them 10 years to discover it. Come on. Something smells fishy to me.

I guess I'll need to drive to Baton Rouge to get them done electronically if the local sheriff's office can't do them right (and they charged me for the favor). Why didn't they let me know about this 10 years ago?

What a PITA this has turned out to be.

MikeP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Yeah, the certified letter invites folks to get them done at their headquarters on Independence Blvd in BR. The option is to send two "acceptable" fingerprint cards to them; but if the sheriff's office can't provide such prints, I guess my only safe option is to drive to Baton Rouge. As I said, a PITA.

mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    Had to have mine redone twice. They say with age your prints deteriorate. Finally on the third try I went to a CSI Expert. He sent a letter with them verifying them and telling them that was as good as it was going to get. Glad I got a lifetime this time, won't have to worry about that again. It was to far away to Baton Rouge for me to drive but if you're close that would be best.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Recently went to LSP to get a fresh set for a class 3 item. Took less than 15 minutes all told, and only cost $11.00.

That being said, fingerprinting should not be necessary to purchase firearms, or have permits to carry guns for personal protection. Fingerprinting an American citizen BEFORE they commit a crime, or just to have in case they ever do, is a BS scheme of collecting personal information.

Fingerprinting was a means to keep tabs on criminals that were arrested for crimes, and to help solve crimes because many fingerprinted criminals commit crimes after their releases from jails and prisons. If an American citizen volunteers to be fingerprinted before a certain job or other reason, fine; be fingerprinted.

This country continues to watch freedoms erode and stays asleep.

Specularius

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    N31 20, W92 14
    Well, throw in Fingerprints for a HazMat Commercial drivers license and fingerprints again for a TWIC card....
    How many times does an innocent person have to be fingerprinted?

Specularius

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    N31 20, W92 14
    And don't forget that because I have a child in the public school system and is also in the Band, I have to be fingerprinted so I can Chaperone for the Band.

Big Steve

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    Plaquemine, LA
    I think the premise of fingerprinting for permits and such is so that your prints can be run those prints through AFIS to see if you are who you say you, and if those prints are attached to any criminal activity.

Believe me, I've seen folks run through AFIS who turned out to be totally NOT who they represented to be.

That aside, I also despise indiscriminate collecting of any data on law abiding citizens. But then again, I am also of the belief that any law abiding citizen should be able to CC without a permit. But of course that would require stiff penalties for any criminal using a firearm in a crime, or convicted felon caught CC …. and it seems America doesn't have the stomach for punishing criminals anymore !!

steven1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2013
    i ve been fingerprinted once in 60 yrs, and those were destroyed after the background was done; i know they (5 sets) worked, cause i was "approved", but fbi don t keep those

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I was printed in the Army in 1972 and for my CHP in 1996 and that's it. I've never had to be reprinted for my CHP in all the years I've had it.

MikeP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Well, I made the trip to Baton Rouge yesterday and got my electronic fingerprints. Hopefully, they will last a while.

Besides the two-hour trip to Baton Rouge (four hours total), the event went OK. There was about an hour's wait because of the crowd of folks there to get fingerprinted. The hardest part of the trip was finding Independence Blvd: It seems to run only a couple of blocks long despite the impressive name, so you really have to know where you're going to find it. The direction my GPS gave me included a tricky U-Turn to reach where Independence starts, so the street seems to be something of an island floating among surrounding streets. Google maps can explain better.

Anyway, they said I'd get the renewed license in 30 to 45 days. I feel so naked without it. :-)

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    ive been fingerprinted by the army, for ts clearance, for tenn ccw, for wa ccw, for fl ccw, for la ccw, for twic card 2x, for several job applications. about 1/2 were digital.
    at this point youd figure they could just pull them up and compare.

met504

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2013
    Metairie, La
    Not sure if this applies to all rennewals, I recently completed my third permit this past March and was not required new prints. Received new permit in about 5 weeks.

Top Bottom