Hornady Reloading Manual conservative?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadkingclsc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Bogalusa La
    I am pretty new to reloading, I have a couple of reloading Manuals. I have noticed that the start and max loads seem to be at least 1 1/2 grains less than the other manuals. Also shooting these loads through the crono muzzle velocities seem to be considerably lower than what Hornady published. I have checked the crono against factory ammo and they register in the ball park. Has anybody else noticed this or am I missing something?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Welcome to the variable world of hand loading. Results will vary...
    Seriously tho, lots of variables. Powder, primers, primer pockets, flash holes, crimp...the gun being used to fire the rounds, etc..
    I like to shoot my loads (whoa Nellie!) through a chrony to measure speed, but mostly consistency. I rarely get the same results I see in print or when loading rounds using someone else’s data (someone I trust mind you).
    Try to be consistent in your loading. Treat each case exactly the same. Trim and measure, all the primer pockets the same, accurate scale and trickle measure, same exact charge to the flake, ball or stick. And the crimp. You’ll find that what matters more than your loads being consistent with printed results, they are consistent with yours. Paper and a good chronograph will tell that tale. If you manage to load a hundred rounds that are all the same length, hit the paper in the same small spot at nearly the same speed then it doesn’t matter what the other guys got.

Use the manual as a guide so you don’t get into trouble at your range, but it’s not the Bible. And ask around to see if anyone is willing to part with any manuals. There are a few to choose from, more than one way to get that pill downrange. And record your load data, including results. Start a book. You’ll be grateful you did.

Last edited:

Roadkingclsc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Bogalusa La
    I appreciate the advice but I was wondering why Hornady loads seem to be much lighter than the Lymann manual using the same powder and bullet. Just wondering is Hornady being conservative or are the Lymann loads unsafe? I am starting with the lighter loads and working up checking for overpressure indicators as I go.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Lyman used to be the most conservative, but I also noticed that Hornady has backed off. Maybe they have a new lawyer in charge of product liability?

I prefer to shoot over my Chrony, not through it.. Actually, since I bought a Labradar the Chrony hasn't moved off of the shelf.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I prefer to shoot over my Chrony, not through it.��. Actually, since I bought a Labradar the Chrony hasn't moved off of the shelf.
    Lol, funny

Sorry Roadking, yes, I’m sure Hornady is undercutting for whatever reason. I bought one of their manuals years ago looking to duplicate their light magnum load (super performance now days) for my .270 but wound up having to tear down some factory loads and figure it out.
    My post was meant to express that the manuals are a guide for reference to get you in the ballpark. I have found slight inconsistencies between manuals for years.

And I’m liking the hornady lever lution bullets
    941ce61ddeb377de917e66172a5f071b.png
    c61d7bd1ec184c3bf8d8a49851b82248.jpg

Last edited:

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Yes, Hornady is very conservative-probably requirement of lawyers. If you use Hodgdon or IMR powders, I find Hodgdon data the most helpful.

As far as overstating velocity, everyone usually does that because they are usually testing out of very long barrels like minimum 24"

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    One thing to keep it mind, in most cases (pun alert) the loading data is based solely on chamber pressure. Just cause it's in the manual doesn't mean it'll cycle your firearm.

Example 1: IMR 4198 is listed for .223. Works great in an AR-15, won't cycle an AR-180 (different gas system).

Example 2: Plenty of loads for .44 Mag. Try feeding them to a Desert Eagle (gas operated).

Roadkingclsc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Bogalusa La
    Lyman used to be the most conservative, but I also noticed that Hornady has backed off. Maybe they have a new lawyer in charge of product liability?

I prefer to shoot over my Chrony, not through it.��. Actually, since I bought a Labradar the Chrony hasn't moved off of the shelf.

Lol I have not actually shot through mine, not saying it is out of the realm of possibilities.
    How do you like the labradar? I have been eyeballing that

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    How do you like the labradar? I have been eyeballing that

I love the hell out of it! It's tracked .17 HMR boolits out to around 120 yards! Pistol rounds usually track out to 60 yards or so. The data file gives a velocity around every foot depending on the settings. The data starts about 5 or 6 yards out when the boolit enters the radar beam. As it's heard the gun say "bang", it works the math to back up and gives you the velocity at the muzzle. I recently acquired a golf ball bore black powder cannon, had no problems tracking the balls. BTW, 720 fps with about an ounce of FF.

Now the down side: you need a fairly flat base on the boolit. It can't see 5.56 FMJ (usually has a rough concave base), but switch to something flat and it works great. I wasn't able to track any .22 rimfire (concave boolit base), but like I said it has no problem with the .17 HMR (with a flat .14 surface). It's all about the radar cross section of the boolit. It's hard to get it to trigger with the built in microphone when using a suppressor, you have to use the doppler trigger (it starts tracking when it sees the boolit)

It's important to have the radar pointed at the target, they have a groove in the top of the case to sight along. I found a sight on the web site Thingiverse and 3d printed it out. You remove the top case screw, pop the sight on, and install a longer screw. Works great. I prefer the table base to sticking it on a camera tripod. If this works, here's some of the golf ball data. It tracked the ball out to 65.59 yards (504.48 fps). SNR is Signal to Noise Ratio or the intensity of the radar return.

Time (s) Vel (fps) Dist (yd) SNR
    0 720.08 0 -
    0.055021 672.84 12.76 27.19
    0.057021 672.17 13.21 26.84
    0.059021 668.58 13.66 31.35
    0.061021 667.69 14.1 27.97
    0.063021 666.16 14.55 27.82
    0.065021 665.42 14.99 27
    0.067021 662.04 15.43 26
    0.069021 661.18 15.87 29.01
    0.071021 658.67 16.31 30.93
    0.073021 657.17 16.75 27.4

I've got a Chrony and a Magnetospeed, neither gets used anymore!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom