Labeeman on the move/1st squirrel hunt for 2018

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I was able to slip into the woods on this beautiful morning and make my first squirrel hunt for 2018. The trees are still full of leaves, so it makes it a challenge to knock them down with a .22 but the Ruger was up to the task today. It started out slow, but got better as the morning progressed. Ended up knocking 7 out of the trees and found 5. I was very disappointed that I could not find the last two. I shot them, heard the bullet hit, then watched them fall and just could not find them. I’m shooting some sub sonic Remington hollow points and they were plenty accurate. Plus they gave me an opportunity to take some second shots as the squirrels did not seem to be scared by the sound of the shot. All but one of the squirrels were shot above the shoulder in the head area. The first one I shot in the chest between the two front legs as he was facing me. It didn’t do much damage so I was good with that.
    a5761b3f44fefed2d60782e4e958187e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

YoungMarine

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    W. Feliciana
    Good job. Saw a lot of squirrels on the deer stand this weekend, but as you said there is still a lot of green in the trees and it is hard to see them. The 10/22 is also my go to squirrel rifle after the deer season ends.

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    Looks like a mix of fox squirrels and cat squirrels. I’m jealous. There aren’t any fox squirrels where I live. I had to hunt with a buddy in Lafayette to get any. Unfortunately he moved about a year ago so those days are over.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    It was a mix yesterday, but typically it’s grey squirrels. One of the squirrels I couldn’t find yesterday was another fox squirrel. When it cools off again I’ll be back in the woods. Y’all stay safe!

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Good deal. Death to all Squirrels! We keep having to change out the Lead Roofing Jacks on my home from them. The neighbors say they are cute! I say Kill them all let the Squirrel God sort them out if the are a mix! I hate them. I do not brake for Squirrels. I speed up! But they do taste good.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Bacon Wrapped Honey Squirrel? Do you have Bacon?
    http://www.level10crossfit.com/2011/03/01/bacon-wrapped-honey-roasted-squirrel/
    Bacon-Wrapped Honey Roasted Squirrel

Squirrels around our house are as pesky as mosquitoes swarming on a warm spring day. So my son Trevor, the hunter in our family, graciously took care of the problem. After he skinned and cleaned them I threw them in the freezer because I didn’t exactly know what to do with them. I swarmed the internet for recipes and could not find one that I liked; most of them were for squirrel stew. Not knowing what squirrel tasted like I was at a loss, but here is what I came up with. It kind of tasted like a sweet jerky. It wasn’t real gamey and the meat was a little tough but that is common in game meat. Everyone in our family ate it and not surprisingly, Trevor enjoyed it the most! There was very little meat and a lot of bone. It would take a lot of squirrel to make a meal. Next game to cook ????

2 grey squirrel, skinned and cleaned

10 slices bacon

3 Tbsp honey

1 tsp cayenne pepper

1 tsp dried oregano

1 tsp dried cilantro

1 tsp ground cumin

1 tsp onion powder

Sea salt and pepper

Cut the legs off of the squirrel then cut the body into the front section and back section. Throw away the front section which consists of the ribcage.

Marinade the squirrel pieces for 24 hours in a Ziploc bag in the following marinade:

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar; 4 cloves garlic, minced; 2 Tbsp salt; cold water to cover meat

When ready to cook, preheat your broiler to high.

Remove meat from marinade and rinse in cold water. Dry meat with a paper towel, discard marinade.

Rub honey all over each piece of meat and place on a foil lined cookie sheet.

Mix dry ingredients together and top each meat piece with the mixture. Broil on high for 7-8 minutes each side. Remove from broiler and set your oven at 350 degrees.

When the squirrel is cool enough to handle, wrap each piece with a slice of bacon and place on a wire rack. Place the wire rack on a cookie sheet and fill the cookie sheet with 1 – 2 cups of water. Bake for 1 hour.

Serve with Paleo BBQ sauce.

Last edited:

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    You went all in with that recipe! I like to debone them after 20-30 min of cooking in seasoned water and vacuum pack and freeze the meat until I finally save enough to cook a meal. Like you said, there is not a lot of meat on a single squirrel. I then make a simple gravy with them and cook the living mess out of them til they are nice and tender.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Nice work to the OP. .22 is the only way to go for those bushy tails. More fun and you get the added benefit of not biting shot. My first hunt here at the house was a bag limit but about half were infected with the bot worms (wolf worms) and nothing turns my stomach like seeing those things moving around in a dead squirrel. We seem to have that problem every season now.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Too warm and early here too, all still have worms. I run my deer feeders all year long so they get fat and well fed through the summer. Once we get a few cold snaps and they put on their winter fur it’s on. I like to cook mine same way I cook rabbit most of the time - Marsala, mushrooms, caramelized onions over with grilled new potato’s fresh out of the dirt. Spinach salad. Fine porch dinner right there! That way they can watch as you eat their relatives. Tree rat delicacy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom