Problem with renewal

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gescha

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My wife and I have been CCW permit holders since 2001.
    It's time for us to do our renewal once again and I thought that it would be as easy as it always has been.
    On the form there is a question asking whether or not you are taking an antidepressant medication. Yes I've been doing this with a medication prescribed by my general physician.
    By answering yes a new form was sent to me by LSP that should be filled out regarding the medication I take by the prescribing physician.
    When I asked for her assistance with this form she sent me an email that stated that she was sorry but she does not complete evaluations for concealed weapons. My doctor did offer to give me a referral to a psychologist or psychiatrist.

Unfortunately no one else will fill out this form since they didn't prescribe the medication.

So I'm asking all of you for input, what would you do in this situation?

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Unless you can change to another doctor and get them to refill the RX and fill out the form I'm afraid you're screwed. If the GP refers you to a psychologist or psychiatrist then you are being treated for mental health issues and things will likely get worse.

The only real suggestion I can make is try to call the LSP permit office and ask them for guidance if the doctor refuses to fill out the form.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I've heard that some Dr. won't sign off for a CHP. I had a friend years ago that got the same thing back from LSP but her Dr. signed and it was good. Good luck I don't know the answer.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I've been watching on some of the Veteran sites about the PTSD deal. Seems like the VA is about flooded with Vets wanting to get a claim for PTSD. You know it's money involved. I know PTSD is a real deal with some Vets but it seems too many are trying to get it.
    I would about bet that in the future it will be used against them when it comes to guns.

gescha

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I contacted LSP and asked for their guidance. They told me to Simply go to another doctor. Well it's not as easy as and simple as that.
    But I appreciate your suggestion.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I contacted LSP and asked for their guidance. They told me to Simply go to another doctor. Well it's not as easy as and simple as that.
    But I appreciate your suggestion.

You're right is sounds simple but not. I hope you get it straightened out.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Get a psychiatrist to prescribe the meds for you. Then they can complete the forms. Now finding a pro 2A psychiatrist is going to be the challenging part...

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    change dr.'s . get the new doc to rx the meds, and sign off the form. easy peasy. my coworker had to do this for the armed security guard licences. her old doc was very much anti gun, and straight up told her that she did not beleive anybody, even police should have guns.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Let any new DR. know in advance of your visit what you need. It may save you time, money and headaches. Some are anti-firearms.

gescha

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I really do appreciate all the input.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a pro-gun doctor in the Baton Rouge area?
    I hate to sound as though I am Doctor shopping, but my back is against the wall on this.

gescha

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I don't know if posting her name would be such a great idea.

First, I need to find out if it is her view personally or if it is a clinic wide rule at the Baton Rouge clinic.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    First, I need to find out if it is her view personally or if it is a clinic wide rule at the Baton Rouge clinic.

My internist is at BR Clinic. When he asks me to remove my shirt and sees my concealed EDC, he just laughs. I have never asked him to sign anything for my CHP.

met7881

Former Yankee
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    mandeville,La.
    All of your medical records are protected by HIPPA. There is no way this information will find its way to any gov't. entities. The whole issue with "mental" health is that there are NO guidelines on what mental health issues are relavent. use your judgement.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    All of your medical records are protected by HIPPA. There is no way this information will find its way to any gov't. entities. The whole issue with "mental" health is that there are NO guidelines on what mental health issues are relavent. use your judgement.

If you want a LA CHP you give the state the ok

I, _________________________, do hereby give my consent in authorizing full disclosure and review of all
    records and information, verbal or written, concerning myself to any duly authorized agent of the Louisiana
    Department of Public Safety and Corrections, Office of State Police, Concealed Handgun Permit Section, whether
    said records are public, private, confidential, or privileged in nature. I further understand that if any of the records
    obtained are confidential or privileged, the Louisiana Department of Public Safety and Corrections will maintain
    the privilege or confidentiality of such records.
    The intent of this authorization is to give my consent for full and complete disclosure of any and all medical,
    criminal, or other personal information regarding me, including but not limited to physical, psychiatric, or substance
    abuse treatment and/or consultation records, and all records pertaining to my conduct such as background reports,
    criminal history records, etc. I further understand that this release will only be used to obtain information for the
    purpose of determining my eligibility for a Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permit.
    I understand that any information obtained through a medical or personal history background investigation which
    is developed directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, upon this release authorization will be considered in
    determining my eligibility for a concealed handgun permit. I also certify that any person(s) who may furnish such
    information concerning me shall not be held liable for giving this information, and I do hereby release said person(s)
    from any and all liability which may be incurred as a result of furnishing such information.
    I also understand that a reproductive copy of this release affidavit shall be for all intents and purposes as valid as
    the original. I request and appreciate your full cooperation.
    This release shall be and remain valid from the date of execution until the expiration or revocation of any concealed
    handgun permit issued to me pursuant to this application, or until my application for a concealed handgun permit
    has been denied pursuant to a final judicial decision.

Top Bottom