What's the popular AR10 Mag?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Strick8

Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Jan 16, 2018
    Hammond, LA
    +1 Pmags.

I’ve also had great results with the newest Hexmag. Many of same features as Magpul. Solid, color ID, no tool disassembly, bolt locks back every time, just a good mag. Make sure you get the 20rd though, the 10 is under recall.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    I'm new to the AR10 game. Ended up with 2 this week. What a reliable mag? What's everyone using? Im fine with 10 round recommendations.

I only use stainless or aluminum teflon coated mags. I would never trust a piece of plastic with my life.

103M 95G

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Westbank
    All depends on what manufacture of rifle you have. I have a RRA that uses FN-FAL mags, uses to have a Rem R25 that used PMAGS. early Armalight used a proprietary M14 style mag, later ones use PMAG.

Have most companies standardized to the M110 style? If so. PMag for me

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    Yeah man, PMAG for the win, just make sure you know which style you need. LR/SR (SR25/M110 compatible) is what you’re looking for

I dont know what all dem letters and numbers mean. My mags say 308.. lol. But yes. The pmags were the ticket. Lucked out on getting them for 10 each. Most online vendors were 16 and up for the 10 rounders.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I dont know what all dem letters and numbers mean. My mags say 308.. lol. But yes. The pmags were the ticket. Lucked out on getting them for 10 each. Most online vendors were 16 and up for the 10 rounders.
    PMAG does make more than one style of .308 mag. Even Academy sells more than one.

On a side note: only because this keeps coming up over and over again..
    How many folks here, when making any sort of firearms related purchase, do you consider whether or not you’d ‘trust your life with it’? What theater are you fighting in and thank you for your service. Otherwise I’m starting to find that statement utterly ridiculous, not to mention indicative of purchasing something with the sole intent of using it on a person...ok, let’s say bad guy. Look, I know it’s a jungle out there guys, (not picking on one individual person as I’ve lost count how many times the phrase I mention has been used here) but there’s a whole lot of other reasons to own guns, ammo and all that goes with it than simply for the purpose of having to defend yourself...by way of ultimately shooting someone? If you fall into this category of gun owners, please try to understand that many of us buy, own, use and enjoy many many guns and gun related items in other ways besides combat or self defense because there are many other uses for it all. And when it comes to it, the only thing you can trust your life to is your maker.
    Next pair of shoes I buy I’ll have to ask myself if I’d trust them with my life...

Last edited:

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    I have a bunch of Brownells 20 round alluminum mags no complaints so far. They can be had for cheap I got mine for 10 for 90 and I believe I scored a sale for 10 for 80...

Strick8

Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Jan 16, 2018
    Hammond, LA
    All that testing was done with 556 mags. This is about the AR10 mags. Totally different subject.

i stand corrected. But realistically how much different can a Gen3 5.56 vs Gen3 .308 be in terms of function and reliability? I’m not brushing off your comment, really asking hoping I learn something. I’m not an expert by any means.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    i stand corrected. But realistically how much different can a Gen3 5.56 vs Gen3 .308 be in terms of function and reliability? I’m not brushing off your comment, really asking hoping I learn something. I’m not an expert by any means.
    Don’t sweat it Strick, it’s his life that’s hanging in the balance man. Can’t argue with that!
    Can anybody recommend some good scope covers that I can trust with my life? Oh, and muzzle brake for my new AR-08 build too..
    Btw, I read the article. Outstanding. Thanks!

Last edited:

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I am not sure if it will translate, but the "trust my life" comment could be taken as "best quality I can afford"....

That is my thought process on mags, try to find a know quality product that has plenty of mfg time and usage under its belt, so to speak. Pmags are known quality and they are generally reasonably priced. A win win there, imo.

I also use imi 20rd ar10 mags, they seem to be as good as the magpuls, but I think I would "trust my life" more with a pmag... so far I have had 0 issues with either brand, but my testing is limited.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Oh how I wish that was the case J, but I’m pretty convinced it’s a tell tale sign of mentality.

Yeah, you are probably right. I can see a metal mag possibly lasting longer than a plastic mag if loaded for a long period. Magpuls with dust covers might be just as good? I have not seen testing on that but I am sure it exists.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Yeah, you are probably right. I can see a metal mag possibly lasting longer than a plastic mag if loaded for a long period. Magpuls with dust covers might be just as good? I have not seen testing on that but I am sure it exists.

One thing I’ve run into with aluminum body mags, mostly buying up scads of German throw downs for my H&K rifkes. $2 each for a .308 mag is great unless they’ve been stepped on or otherwise had the squeeze put on them, the floor plate will drag inside if the walls of the mag are at all pushed in. I remember one box of 100 mags I bought about 1:10 had that issue. I had to tear them down and reshape the mag body a bit. That’s one thing few people consider about metal mags. If they get banged around they might take on a new form and fail. A PMAG might actually survive harder knocks than an aluminum mag and still function.
    The only deficit I’ve noted with PMAGs over steel or aluminum is if you like to load your mags as I do, from the stripper, you’ll have trouble with the spoon popping out of the slots in the mag under pressure. This problem is non-existent when using a stripula loader and stripper clips however.

Top Bottom