Savage Axis 6.5 creedmoor 1,000yd or bust

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bg86

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2018
    Bossier City
    This goes to the guy at the gun shop that said the Axis is a pos. Imma do this on a budget as well to make it sweeter.

I have a Brand new straight out of the box Savage Axis (non accutrigger) in 6.5 creedmoor. (Purpose bought cause of guy running his mouth)

I'm going to try to do this with a scope change, bipod, trigger spring change, and off the shelf ammo.

It has a weaver scope on it. I have 0 faith in it.

Anyways here is the gun. 20181024_150258.jpg

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    What size group are you expecting at 1000?
    Of course you can do a few things and hit a target at 1000 yards. I did that with my MKII Ruger .270 out of the box once I found its favorite ammo

Bg86

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2018
    Bossier City
    Been 600 with a axis in 308 so I figure no issues with this.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I would think you could get minute of billboard with that set up and that range.

Lol, that’s funny. But I’m sure it is capable of a lot better. It’s not a AR...

For the record, marine snipers were doing just fine at 1000 with less rifle longer ago than some of you have been alive. Anyone who shoots enough at 1000 yards will find that they can hit targets at that range and eventually decent groups. When enough scope and decent ammo meet many of today’s hunting rifles, it’s all up to the shooter managing range, conditions, dope and the shot.
    OP, do you already have plans to float the barre and action? Big scope? Let us know. And let me know if a wager comes into play and I’ll jump in.

Bg86

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2018
    Bossier City
    I learned a few tricks and then get a wake up call at "the island" done things with 223/556 make regular people nervous.

No real plans yet gotta make a decision on a scope and what power. Doing research now.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I learned a few tricks and then get a wake up call at "the island" done things with 223/556 make regular people nervous.

No real plans yet gotta make a decision on a scope and what power. Doing research now.
    I’d start with a single focal plane, 24x or so. Vortex viper won’t break the bank, but you might do as well for a little less money.

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Just something that I heard one of the guys on one of the Outdoor Channel shows say...
    “The state of production manufacturing today is such that most any firearm being sold by reputable companies is able to shoot better right out of the box than the ability of most shooters.... in other words...it ain’t the gun.” The discussion included qualifiers like using decent ammunition. But what really caught my attention was another comment that most people want to buy a “sub-MOA gun” but they never develop their skills to be able to achieve it.

I like good stuff and cool gear as much as anyone. But I decided that I would forego taking the next price level up (at least in a rifle) until I was sure that I could not get any better with the one I have.

Lately I have been interested in something in a 6.5CM. I have wondered if one of the mass-marketed packages of rifle and scope is a good place to start to build skills. I’m interested to find out how the Savage Axis turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    ^^^^^Amen ^^^^^^
    I’m amazed at how quick the negative comments fly when someone mentions any particular rifle that happened to be under $500. Without hesitation many shooters will condemn the gun to substandard gulag, having never fired a shot. I think it would serve them right to have my 12 year old show up with that $500 rifle and outshoot them in front of all their friends.

Last edited:

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I’ve seen Academy list this for $299 including a Weaver 3 - 9 x 40 scope, mounted and bore sighted. There’s also a Savage $60 rebate for purchases 11/5/18 - 5, 2018 through 12/2/2018. That’s a $239 net (plus tax)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Make any headway? Currently trying to decide on which 6.5 creedmoor sub $400-500 to go with. Won't shoot past 250-300yds.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I agree with most of what I’m reading here. I don’t own a savage but I do have some spotter weight barreled guns. One is a TC compass and it’s not quite a pencil barrel like some are but it’s still heats up if you bang on it from a bench for long. But it’s still plenty accurate. Anonther concern I have is long term durability. I’ve developed surface rust after a rainy hunt, and the stocks of all the guns are fairly flimsy, I’m not exactly going into combat against the whitetail deer, but I’m rough on the equipment. But we are living the good old days when it comes to centerfire rifles.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I agree with most of what I’m reading here. I don’t own a savage but I do have some spotter weight barreled guns. One is a TC compass and it’s not quite a pencil barrel like some are but it’s still heats up if you bang on it from a bench for long. But it’s still plenty accurate. Anonther concern I have is long term durability. I’ve developed surface rust after a rainy hunt, and the stocks of all the guns are fairly flimsy, I’m not exactly going into combat against the whitetail deer, but I’m rough on the equipment. But we are living the good old days when it comes to centerfire rifles.

If you had to buy another in that price range, would it be the TC? That's one i was looking at.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    If you had to buy another in that price range, would it be the TC? That's one i was looking at.
    Yes and no. I bought that rifle for my wife and while I enjoy shooting it, I’m a southpaw and I don’t think it’s offered in left handed. I’m actually wanting one of the new savage apex hunter or storm. But, there are so many good offerings in that sub $500 range its hard to say what I might choose if that is what I was shooting for.

Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    As scopes go dollar for dollar the 6.5-20x50 Vortex vpr was the best bang for my buck when I bought it. At least to the range the op is considering shooting. Nikons makes some really nice glass for their prices also.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom