9mm Ok for Bears?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Drop a mag? Yes more than once by the same person. And others as well on different trips. Mostly since a person loads the pistol. And the shooter picked it up to shoot and dropped the mag. As the person was unable to work the slide. So another was loading it setting it down for another to shoot.
    Don't know how to operate the firearm? Yes, many times one that still bothers me is>
    Point the Gun at my sons head from the next lane. While chambering a round. When I said something she stopped. Only to point it at her sons head instead. That was done while I was telling the staff. When The staff and I got back that was what we saw. She was asked to leave. She was pissed since she bought a whole box of 50 22lr rounds and was not able to use them all before being tossed out. Wanted some of her $ back. As no way she could use the rest as it was a rental gun.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Drop a mag? Yes more than once by the same person. And others as well on different trips. Mostly since a person loads the pistol. And the shooter picked it up to shoot and dropped the mag. As the person was unable to work the slide. So another was loading it setting it down for another to shoot.
    Don't know how to operate the firearm? Yes, many times one that still bothers me is>
    Point the Gun at my sons head from the next lane. While chambering a round. When I said something she stopped. Only to point it at her sons head instead. That was done while I was telling the staff. When The staff and I got back that was what we saw. She was asked to leave. She was pissed since she bought a whole box of 50 22lr rounds and was not able to use them all before being tossed out. Wanted some of her $ back. As no way she could use the rest as it was a rental gun.

Dang it man, Sounds as bad as Sherburne mid-day on Saturdays

BlackWaterFish

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2018
    Metairie, LA
    Having spent time in places with grizzlies and polar bears, I'd recommend combining your pistol with a nice loud set of bear bells. Or a can of pennies to shake while you walk. You can use the pistol to whack the can to let em know you're coming! :-)

(Good for bears but not ideal for deer hunting mind you...)

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I have a 29 classic and shoulxer holster. I always thought that was the go to calibre
    For a side arm in case. That was before 10mm and 460 Rowland. My buddy thought it was to big so carried a S&W 19 with 158 Hp or 158Sp when he went hunting as back up. But later changed to 44mag.

Last edited:

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    When game wardens go looking for bears that have been involved in fatal attacks on humans, they look for feces that smells like pepper and has shiny bells in it. Just sayin'.

I remember reading/hearing that joke in the early 70s when bear bells were becoming common. Pepper was added in the late 80s after bear spray came out. Just saying.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Apple cider vinegarOTR
    Top Bottom