9mm Ok for Bears?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bonephish

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    "In this compilation of incidents, one was a failure. The .357 magnum was fired three times. The shooter was mauled after the first shot and after the second and third shots. It seems likely the shooter missed all three shots. It is the only bear defense with a pistol, that failed, that we have found."

"One failure out of 35 incidents is better than a 97% success rate for pistol defenses against bears. Using a pistol to defend against bear attacks seems to be a viable option.

"We have found four cases where 9 mm pistols were used to defend against bears. All were successful."

"We have found twelve cases where .44 magnum revolvers were used to defend against bears. All were successful."

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    I should think a 9mm would do fine. Provided he's followed by 29 of his friends out of an MP5.:rofl:

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    9MM OK FOR BEARS?

I guess as long as their paws can attain a proper grip and they are sufficiently trained in the 7 basic fundamentals, they could handle a 9mm alright. :)

steven1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2013
    .357 Sig runs 1375 in Gold Dot, and 1400 in remington green& white box brass jacket, but i would steer clear of grizzlies, altho as with panthers- don t run.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Might get banned for this but you asked:

Taken from wikipedia (trusted source of info since....?)

"In male gay culture, a bear is often a larger or obese hairier man who projects an image of rugged masculinity. Bears are one of many LGBT communities with events, codes, and a culture-specific identity. However, in San Francisco in the 1970s any hairy man of whatever shape was referred to as a 'bear' until the term was appropriated by larger men and other words had to be used to describe hairy other-shaped men such as otter (slim), cub (young bear on the way), or wolf (hairy, medium build).[2] The word manatee describes a big, hairless man, i.e. a bear without hair."

So yes, 9mm will likely work on bears, otters, cubs, wolves, or even manatees.

BarneyFife

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    North of BR
    9MM OK FOR BEARS?

I guess as long as their paws can attain a proper grip and they are sufficiently trained in the 7 basic fundamentals, they could handle a 9mm alright. :)

Good point. I've never seen a Bear shoot a gun, so I would have no data to say if 9mm would be good for them or not. Like you, my guess is a Bear could easily handle a 9mm. :chuckles:

Last edited:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    But,But They said it would work on Bayou Shooters?

Attachments

• 9mm bear.jpg
      9mm bear.jpg
      26 KB · Views: 101
    Top Bottom