CMC trigger reset problems

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AZ2VET

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2017
    Ponchatoula, La.
    Just figured I would ask if anyone else out there has had any problems with their CMC trigger.

I have the 3.5# curved single stage in an Aero M5 lower that has given me reset issues since I put it in. I have put about 250 rounds thru my rifle with this trigger and at times it has taken me having to nudge the trigger forward or or pull and release a dead trigger a few times to get it to reset. The other night I removed this one and put it in an Aero M4 lower and it did the same thing where the trigger I removed from the M4 to M5 performed as it should. At this time I noticed that the trigger now in the M4 lower had some wobble and the trigger in the M5 was snug. I swapped the triggers back and the one which had wobble in the M4 lower also had wobble in the M5 lower but the other was again snug as well in the M4 lower. I also measured the width of each trigger shoe at the bottom of each side plate and they measured the same of .3075. This is my third CMC trigger, the first two have been awesome so far.

I have called CMC and talked to Charles, described the problem to him and he at first was saying that the wobble can be corrected by slightly bending the side plates out at the corners just a hair. But he also said that he would like to get his hands on it to measure a few things to see if he can find the problem. So I will be removing the trigger again tonight to put it in the mail tomorrow. Just hope when I get it back the problem is corrected.

Will post updates as I get them.

AZ2VET

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2017
    Ponchatoula, La.
    I just got off the phone with Charles at CMC and my trigger was handed to him this morning from yesterdays mail. He said he is going to give it a check, fix anything he finds wrong and get it in the mail tonight.

bayouteche85

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2007
    Breaux Bridge
    I have several in both platforms and all have functioned flawlessly. I am curious as to the source of your problem and your experience with their customer service throughout this process. Please keep us posted!

For anyone else lurking, these are amazing triggers if you’re looking for single stage (particularly if you can grab one around $100!!!)

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    For shitzengiggles, do u have another lower to try the trigger in? I’ve had two lowers over the years that I think may have been a little out of spec when it came to the fire control pin holes. The latest one was off a tad and I had trouble getting the holes to line up on a cassette style trigger to install the pins. I finally got them in and the same problem arose. The first one was a billet lower that had that issue with almost every trigger group I tried in it. I finally found a well used group from one of my older ARs that worked.
    Try another lower and see if it works

AZ2VET

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2017
    Ponchatoula, La.
    I should be getting it back friday or saturday with a note of what was found to be the problem, if anything was found out of spec.. I am hoping that something was found and corrected and I will have a working trigger when I put it back in. Otherwise I am at square one to figure out the issue.
    So far CS has been great, a person answers the phone and will transfer you to who need to speak with. Charles has been very interested in my issue when we talked as well as informative. Told me to mail my trigger to them and he would check it out, fix it if there is a problem found with a part measurment and they would cover postage to mail it back along with some swag.
    Update to follow when I get it back and installed.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Please do let us know. Wish you’d had the chance to try it in another lower before shipping it off. If any AR trigger (mil spec or cassette style) is not perpendicular to the pins when in the lower, (the pin going through the trigger and disconnect at a slight angle) the assembly becomes bound, or torqued on the pin. The disconnect rides that same pin and if the trigger is in a bind and freezes up upon release the trigger can’t reset due to the resistance from the parts not being alligned on the pin. If you could hold the cassette in your fingers and force one end of the pin downward and the other end upward (like a see-saw with the disconnect being the fulcrum) you could bind up those parts so they stick and the trigger wouldn’t reset. I’m talking in thousandths of an inch.

Last edited:

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    My experience with CMC triggers has been great. I’ve had a 3.5# flat single stage in an original Bushmaster and Daniel Defense rifles without any issues.
    Interested to hear an update from the OP.

AZ2VET

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2017
    Ponchatoula, La.
    I did install the bad trigger in another lower and it was doing the same thing.
    I got the trigger back in the mail friday with a note saying the disconnector was bad. I removed the mil-spec trigger I had installed and put the returned CMC trigger back in. Tested it with several dry fires with the upper and lower seperated and then with the upper and lower pined together and it is working prefectly. Was not able to put any rounds through it yesterday due to errands and yard work. Hope to get home soon and get that done today, but I have no doubts that it will perform just as good as the other two CMC triggers I have.
    I am extremely happy with the first two CMC triggers (which I chose based on Johnnys Reloading bench on YouTube) I bought which is why I went with them for the third one. It had problems from the install but gave it time to self correct over 200 rounds which it didnt. Once I called CMC and spoke to Charles and described the issue and that I had removed, sprayed with carb cleaner, oiled and reinstalled it was still probelemactic. He asked me to mail it in (and they cover postage to send it back) so he could get a look at it. He got it, checked it out, fixed it and put it in the mail back to me in the same day. I put it in the mail (USPS) on a friday and got it back the following friday.

CMC triggers and their customer service is TOPS in my book.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Glad to hear they did you right. I’d think they’d just send you a new trigger rather than spending time fixing one but whatever works.
    I’ve bought 7 different brands of AR triggers over the years and although Timney is still my favorite, CMC ranks up there near the top. Real glad to hear their customer service is top notch.

AZ2VET

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2017
    Ponchatoula, La.
    Got to the house yesterday and put 10 rounds down the lane into the berm. Trigger release was normal to very slow and it reset perfect each time. Happy happy happy

Top Bottom