Trust Taurus?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    So, what Taurus pistols or revolvers do ya'll trust? I've had a Taurus 85 revolver twice and had no issues with it. Only Taurus pistol I've ever owned....and still own is this brand new, unfired G2C 9mm. I've recently had an offer to trade my G2C for another 85 but I wanted to know other opinions out there.

Taurus haters need not apply.
    We already know how ya'll feel. Lol

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    I own 7. 4 were bought used. I've never had a single issue with any. I've personally only seen 1 revolver that after around 4k rounds had a timing issue. And Tauras fixed it for free under warranty.

nwmousegunner

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Homer,La.
    My experience is limited to one. I have a PT-22 with a steel barrel and slide and aluminum alloy frame and beautiful rosewood grips, its as reliable as the ammo. Works 100% with CCI mini-mags. I trust it to go bang when I pull the trigger. It has accounted for one cottonmouth and one armadillo. I don't shoot it much because I have others I like better, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    I had a .45 24/7 pro. Would only eat ball and golden sabre ammo. All other hollow points would hang on the ramp. Had a Raging Bull .50s$w, shot two cylinders then traded it for a RRA entry tactical. Revolver seemed solid but wasn’t impressed at all with the pistol.

Mxav

Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Nov 25, 2011
    New Orleans
    The G2 was always a fun range toy of mines. Never got much carry use but the few hundred rounds it ate always went boom. Hated the trigger though...

headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    I always wanted a Raging Bull but have never gotten one.

Pistols either I or family have owned owned:
    3- Millennium pro PT-111’s
    1- Millennium pro PT-145
    1- 24/7 45acp.

ALL started out good but all but 1 of the PT-111’s eventually had issues. I’m sure there’s a few good apples but I’d personally never trust another one.

mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    I've had a few over the years and never had any problems with them although they always seemed to be the first on the list to sell or trade when I wanted something else.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    A relative has a <taurus copy of a PT92> Not sure about mag compatability but its mainly a closet gun. He runs a box through it once a year or so.

I had one of their snub .38's for a while. I never liked it because it was hammerless and the trigger was heavier than necessary but it worked.

Bonephish

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    I had a PT111 G2 9mm and trusted it enough that I gave it to my son. Currently my truck gun is a model 605 .357 snubby. If your budget is small buy a Taurus (Not a Keltec pistol or a Charter Arms revolver.)

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    My brother had one a 38 snub. Never fired. Traded it in on a 2nd gen G27. Got a Rossi 38 snub that was stolen. Worked for What he wanted it to. He had a gun if needed. The G27 has never been shot. I think. Or just to test. Every one needs a cheaper priced gun. To keep around so the food ones are not at risk. But I do shoot the cheap out of them to make shire they are good to go. My tool box / glove box gun was Norinco M-213 Tokarev that was 100 out the door. I would grab a Taurus if I needed to get a lower price point gun. As long as it is test fired by you. I can not see down side. As long as it is not going to see heavy use. It can be sold off.

Last edited:

mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    I had a PT111 G2 9mm and trusted it enough that I gave it to my son. Currently my truck gun is a model 605 .357 snubby. If your budget is small buy a Taurus (Not a Keltec pistol or a Charter Arms revolver.)
    Just curious, why not a Charter revolver? I've got a.357 Pug that has run hike a champ. Of course I switched grips for the original Bulldog grips but runs great.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Bonephish

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Just curious, why not a Charter revolver? I've got a.357 Pug that has run hike a champ. Of course I switched grips for the original Bulldog grips but runs great.

I had a Charter .22WMR that was a pos and comparing .38's, Charter or Taurus, the Taurus wins in quality and accuracy. And at the moment you can buy a Taurus model 85 .38 +P for around $250.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Taurus haters need not apply.
    We already know how ya'll feel. Lol

So you are asking about experience with taurus but don't want the negative stuff....

Not a hater per-SE, but I have always felt that there is a better option for about the same money. Often that better option is used and will take some time to find. So I see the market segment that Taurus caters to, new and less expensive.

I have had a dozen or so taurus products, my 1st handgun was a 92 clone. It did not shoot as well/accurate as a true Beretta 92.

Had a Raging bull in 44mag. Impressive looking, but the fit, finish and lockwork were inferior to a Smith revo.

Had a 9mm taurus, frame was cast out of spec and required some fiddling to make it function. Bad qc there, but it happens.

Had a 1st gen millennium 9mm, seemed ok but traded it at 1st opportunity. The guts looked kinda cheap to me, I know that sounds very objective.... take with a grain of salt!

Had a few other J frame taurus revolvers, never really lit my fire, but neither do real J frames!!!

I have since had a few more 92 clones, and a few other revolvers. I did not keep any of them.

Dad had a taurus clone of a 3rd gen smith auto in 45. Nice looking gun, nice finish, and we thought it shot well till I got a 4506... The taurus was not as accurate or smooth and the trigger was not as good.

Both the 92 and 3rd gen smith clones were bought new, and they we early purchases for both me and dad. I remember that the taurus 92 was about 400 bucks and the beretta 92 was 650 or so. So much less expensive and still a decent gun. I have since purchased used beretta 92s for around 400. Same issue with the 3rd gen smith clone, dad paid a little over 400 for it new, and I paid about 450 for the 4506, used.

I have had very good success buying and trading for used handguns. Most guys take care of their stuff, and I know what to look for. Plus it is always better to make a new friend on bayoushooter than to be stuck talking to a gun store commando or be herded like cattle at a gun show by a busy dealer...

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I have likely had better luck with taurus than keltec as far as handguns go. I will say that. Not sure what it means, but giving credit where it is due. Got rid of the keltecs due to design or mfg flaws, moved the taurus stuff on due to personal taste preferences.

In this segment of the market pricing is very import. 20 bucks in either direction can mean a sales success or failure.

Public perception can be weird too, if you want a 380 then you want to be paying 200 or less (generally) but most people think 45acp and immediately figure anything under 1K is junk... Not everyone out there is a dyed in the wool gun guy, so there perceptions drive the market more than reality.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Good points JD.
    I've had bad luck with Taurus semi autos across the board. The PT92 was par at best but had a few mag issues. The fix for that was only using factory mags. My brother has a G2 that has never failed on him even after 700+ rounds.... the key to that is keeping it clean. I have a G2C I've never shot, so jury is still out on that one.

I've had a few Taurus revolvers that have never given me issues.... namely, the 85 model. Even though a Taurus model doesn't compare with a S&W or Ruger revolver quality, you do get your money's worth on those guns.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I had a Charter .22WMR that was a pos and comparing .38's, Charter or Taurus, the Taurus wins in quality and accuracy. And at the moment you can buy a Taurus model 85 .38 +P for around $250.

Agreed. One simply has to hold and inspect the 2 to make that conclusion.

@Jdindadell, no pot stirring from me, but it seems like the primary distinction you make between Taurus and other brands is related to the difference in price. I would think most people do not expect a Taurus to be a Beretta or a Smith & Wesson or a Colt, etc. That’s sort of like finding fault in a $20k Civic because it doesn’t run and handle like a $100k Porche... do you expect a $200 pistol to look, feel and perform like a $600 pistol?

Here’s a fair comparison, all 3 of the 9mm autos and the .40 Taurus brand pistols I own make me happier than the Springfield XD and both of the S&W M&P shield pistols....I used to own. Both shields had about the crappiest trigger of any auto I’ve ever shot and the XD would not reliably eat half the HP ammo I tried in it. All 3 of those I purchased new and for more money. The concerns I had with them were a little more concerning than simply the way the gun felt or looked on the inside. I get the concerns as far as the internals, but many people still say the same stuff about Glock.
    I own quite a few H&K, Beretta, Sig, Colt, Glock, Smith, Ruger, etc, many high dollar handguns so it’s not just about saving a buck for me. Btw, 1911 and German Luger are my top 2 picks for a sweet shooter.
    So back to price point, I think anyone would be hard pressed to find a new pistol for $200 that better than the Taurus pistols I own, although I did recently see a Sigma going for $259 at academy. So I bought it...

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    We have/had the following models:
    605, 85UL, 606

All have been great guns. The 605 was obtained well used and still gets carried/shot the most. I carry it more often than my S&W 442.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom