lantus, insulin injection

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rp85

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    baton rouge
    hello;

wife was an insulin dependent diabetic. she passed away several weeks ago. have 5 boxes of lantus solostar insulin. know it is expensive so, if you use the lantus solostar insulin injection for insulin please call me at 751-3404 or 235-7625. trying to gather some information.

thx

ray

Last edited:

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    Ray, what I did was talk to my pharmacist, he told me of a needy family who it would benifit greatly, I contacted the lady and gave it to her

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Insulin is outrageous, A lantus solostar box is over 400 bucks. Legally, people aren't supposed to take medications that isn't theirs. But it is a waste to let something that expensive go. Also, you may want to watch out for potential civil issues, what happens if it wasn't stored correctly, and the insulin is degraded, someone may not be controlling their insulin correctly. What if its not working at all (left in the car for prolonged periods of time, enough so the heat messes it up), someone life may be at stake. What if they get an infection, are you liable since you gave it to them? So many variables.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    Phamacist advised me of all of that, actually just as bad as selling it, but I couldn't see it going to waste when it could help someone, anyway, statue of limitations is past

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Call a church or a nonprofit like goodwill. I was told St Vincent du Paul takes old medication as donations. I don't know they do with it.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Here's a different idea.

Dogs use the same insulin. Rather than toss it hand it off to your favorite vet...

It's unlikely a reputable vet would take it. If they gave human prescription medication to an animal and the animal had a reaction, the vet could lose their DEA drug license.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I bet theres some homeless guys that could really use it that cant afford it. Where who knows but I bet they're closer than you'd think. Just a thought.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    It's unlikely a reputable vet would take it. If they gave human prescription medication to an animal and the animal had a reaction, the vet could lose their DEA drug license.

Actually, that wasn't an off the cuff idea. I had a dog on insulin. I used to get it filled at winn dixie's pharmacy with human insulin. Canine and humans often have the same drugs. I understand QC on vet drugs isn't quite as good.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Actually, that wasn't an off the cuff idea. I had a dog on insulin. I used to get it filled at winn dixie's pharmacy with human insulin. Canine and humans often have the same drugs. I understand QC on vet drugs isn't quite as good.

I never said it was an off the cuff idea. I indicated it wasn't a good idea and would likely not come to fruition. My wife is a vet. I am aware that some human medicines are prescribed to animals. She has called in prescriptions to Walgreens or some other human pharmacy a number of times because it was much easier and quicker than ordering the vet versions. And some "vet only" medicines are actually the same thing as human medicines but are labeled at vet only and may be sold at a cheaper price. My point is if a vet gets human medicine from an unverifiable source, i.e., from an individual who has medication prescribed to someone else, and gives it to an animal, they are opening themselves up to some liability should something negative happen. The consequences would be similar to a human doctor reissuing the prescription medicine, even if they gave it away rather than selling it.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    RP85 -- sorry for your loss, I hope you are doing okay.

Now, isn't it a damn shame when somebody reaches out to help anybody who may need this BUT we have to worry about legalities. My God, we have become such a sue happy country that you are better off doing nothing to help your fellow man (or animal) because some lawyer will be knockin' on your door. What a F-ing shame. Yes, I can understand if you are trying to hand out narcotics or mind altering drugs but this is insulin...
    But yeah, my kid got in "trouble" for having a tube of Blistex lip ointment at his middle school.....what the F.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    RP85 -- sorry for your loss, I hope you are doing okay.

Now, isn't it a damn shame when somebody reaches out to help anybody who may need this BUT we have to worry about legalities. My God, we have become such a sue happy country that you are better off doing nothing to help your fellow man (or animal) because some lawyer will be knockin' on your door. What a F-ing shame. Yes, I can understand if you are trying to hand out narcotics or mind altering drugs but this is insulin...
    But yeah, my kid got in "trouble" for having a tube of Blistex lip ointment at his middle school.....what the F.

Though unlikely, people do abuse insulin. Mostly body builders though.

That being said, yes it's ABSOLUTELY sad that we cannot even help others without liability lingering in the back of our mind. I gave a ride to a guy begging me since his car broke down and it was late with a small child. Only to get pulled over b/c the police know this man to be a known drug addict. I didn't know, I was just trying to help. Sadly they questioned me for quite some time, guess a Pharmacist that happens to drive a blacked out escalade with a known drug user in it sounds bad. Note to self, NEVER give any one a ride.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    But we can help people without liability. As I said before, St Vincent de Paul takes donated medication.

PRESCRIPTION DONATIONS
    Donations are taken at the pharmacy Monday- Friday from 8:30 am to 12:30 pm.
    Medication must be sealed and not expired.
    No narcotics or controlled substances will be accepted.

https://svdpbr.org/community-pharmacy/

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    But we can help people without liability. As I said before, St Vincent de Paul takes donated medication.

PRESCRIPTION DONATIONS
    Donations are taken at the pharmacy Monday- Friday from 8:30 am to 12:30 pm.
    Medication must be sealed and not expired.
    No narcotics or controlled substances will be accepted.

https://svdpbr.org/community-pharmacy/

Thanks for the Info on St Vincent -- We had a relative pass away and I have a box full of blood pressure, Warfarin, some kind of breathing inhalant thingies, etc, etc. I will be out that way next week and will drop all of this stuff off. Probably a couple hundred bucks worth (or a couple thousand to insurance companies) Rx.

rp85

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    baton rouge
    St Vincent de Paul took the insulin. could not believe how much this type of insulin cost, $100 per pen; 5 per box. hope someone in real need is able to use the insulin.

rp

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom