First day carrying

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    This! Yes! It's like a right of passage. And make sure to engage in a short conversation with the Law Enforcement Officer working a detail there. I always oddly over-enjoyed talking with LEOs while carrying when I first started. Maybe I'm just an oddball though!

In the Baton Rouge area Walmart is too tight to pay LEO's now they just let people walk out with big screens

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    My only advice?

Carry it EVERYDAY, EVERYWHERE, ALL THE TIME! Lifestyle change! Not fad!

Pretty much this. Too many people will only carry when its convenient, problem is you never know when anything may happen. Also a good holster/gun/belt combo makes life easier also. I have a gun for all kinds of situations, glock 19 daily, Shield when I wear dress clothes (tuckable holster), and LCP when I wear gym shorts.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Congrats. Now do what every red blooded God fearing American pistol packing citizen does their first day of protecting mankind. Go to Walmart

The first time I carried (and open carried, at that), I went to Trader Joe's. It was a non-event since the hipsters assumed that I was a cop. I still have that little Beretta 70 ... turned out to be a superb little gun, and I just haven't had the heart to part with it.

Mike

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    My advice is that there is no such thing as enough training, but too little training is a thing. You should spend more on training than the value of whatever gear you have as training will be invaluable if your gear ever has to be used.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Glad you started carrying! I will just echo a few great points made. Get good carry gear, holster and belt are very important. And train. Take some classes, do some on your own. A great practice tip I learned, when you do dry practice, use a fan and your cover garment when you practice your draw. Makes it more realistic.

What is the old saying, "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    walmarttactical-jpg.51484

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Don't forget to blade at a 45 degree angle to anyone that comes within 10'... And no, you're not fully CCW certified until you've done the Walmart experience.

Why Walmart? Dat's the rules... plus it's tradition...

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Great thread. Any updates?

When first started carrying it felt like I had accidentally popped wood at the water park and was trying to constantly hide it. After a while I eventually realized no one pays attention and it really wasn’t that obvious if I wasn’t constantly trying to hide it.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    Most people are oblivious to their surrounding much less trying to figure out what might be under someone's shirt.

Last edited:

DannyI

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2018
    SW Louisiana
    Remember, it’s not a toy, consequence’s are real, shooting another is real, never have a gun in hand when a police officer comes upon you- lay it down or holster immediately or he/she will draw on you.

Top Bottom