Sous vide cooking

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    Any of you cook sous vide? I’ve been looking at the annova blue tooth and it seems to be pretty solid and easy to use. Price is hard to beat for right over $100.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I think they can be found cheaper, especially with "black friday" coming up. I Sous vide from time to time with my anova bluetooth model. I've done mostly steaks, but also chicken and even a brisket in mine.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    You don't HAVE to use your phone. I just cooked a ribeye the a couple days ago. Plug it in, set your temp, and press "play". The phone is only if you need it to set a timer, which is not necessary. But what is preferred is an airfryer or some sort of HIGH heat. I have a 30k BTU burner outside and use that to sear my meat without over cooking it. You can get by with a smoking hot cast iron pan also. My friend uses his propane or IR searzall. When making chicken or something else, I like to use an airfryer afterwards to give the meat some texture.

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    I was referring to the Joule. Theres no interface or buttons on it. You have to access it from a smart device.

If you haven’t already, check out the YouTube channel *sous vide everything* he’s done a ton of recipes and methods. Searzall seems to be the favorite.

Wife tells me I don’t need one and that I already have too much cooking stuff... that’s akin to having *too many guns*.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Get the Anova! He uses that one a lot also on his show. For the most part I don’t *need* one. I can cook steak etc fine without. But when you are cooking for a bunch of people, it makes it easy not to mess up, you won’t over/under cook it for your guests. Chicken breasts won’t be dried out (which you can even cook from frozen by adding an additional 30 min).

I’ve been buying meat in bulk at Costco, and vacuum sealing them in individual family portions, and either using the sous vide or instant pot to cook it.

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    I’ve been buying meat in bulk at Costco, and vacuum sealing them in individual family portions, and either using the sous vide or instant pot to cook it.

It’s a topic for a different thread but I do NOT like the rocket pot (instapot). It has its place like cooking potatoes for a potato salad in like 15 min. But otherwise, no!

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    It’s a topic for a different thread but I do NOT like the rocket pot (instapot). It has its place like cooking potatoes for a potato salad in like 15 min. But otherwise, no!

Made crispy pork belly in my instapot/air fryer and it came out well.

Xn2xfpu.jpg

They are tools, and it’s a matter if you know how to use them

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    Interesting thread, I heard and would have no way to verify it, that this type of cooking really started in the restaurant industry to have large portions of things precooked and staged, then just put a sear or color to a steak or meat in general when ready.
    its an interesting thing that caught on for the home meals.

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    That’s what I heard as well.

Before the cheap machines (sub $200) were available, diy guys were making single loop controllers to heat and maintain water temps at precise temps at home. You could still do that with a Rasberry pie controller. But it’s much easier to buy one off the shelf.

I’m watching for a Black Friday deal to purchase one.

Top Bottom