SecureIt Gun Cabinets

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wethackrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2018
    New Orleans, LA
    Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum (and to Louisiana). I didn't see a forum section designated for discussion of gun safes, so I thought this thread might belong here. Please correct me if I guessed wrong.

I'm in the process of moving to NOLA. At least moving my primary residence to NOLA. I'm coming from Redondo Beach, in the Los Angeles "South Bay" beach cities. I'll be keeping my place at the beach, but most of my life, and nearly all guns, will move to NOLA. I have a monster of a gun safe in California: a Fort Knox Guardian 7241. With 1/4" walls and a steel liner, this thing weighs more than 1600 pounds and cost about $6500. I'm very happy with the Fort Knox, but, like most every traditional gun vault, it isn't particularly well organized for storing actual guns efficiently.

For the place in NOLA, I'm currently planning to do something completely different. I'm about to order a SecureIt Agile Quad 52/40. I'm curious if any of you guys have experience with SecureIt firearm storage systems. There are several factors pushing me in this direction, not the least of which is the prospect of getting something like a 1600 point Fort Knox up into a second floor loft apartment. I also think the concept of a well organized lightweight gun cabinet makes sense. I'll have cameras and an alarm there. Any comments on this plan or experience with SecureIt?

https://www.secureitgunstorage.com/product-category/sporting/ultralight-gun-safe/

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum (and to Louisiana). I didn't see a forum section designated for discussion of gun safes, so I thought this thread might belong here. Please correct me if I guessed wrong.

I'm in the process of moving to NOLA. At least moving my primary residence to NOLA. I'm coming from Redondo Beach, in the Los Angeles "South Bay" beach cities. I'll be keeping my place at the beach, but most of my life, and nearly all guns, will move to NOLA. I have a monster of a gun safe in California: a Fort Knox Guardian 7241. With 1/4" walls and a steel liner, this thing weighs more than 1600 pounds and cost about $6500. I'm very happy with the Fort Knox, but, like most every traditional gun vault, it isn't particularly well organized for storing actual guns efficiently.

For the place in NOLA, I'm currently planning to do something completely different. I'm about to order a SecureIt Agile Quad 52/40. I'm curious if any of you guys have experience with SecureIt firearm storage systems. There are several factors pushing me in this direction, not the least of which is the prospect of getting something like a 1600 point Fort Knox up into a second floor loft apartment. I also think the concept of a well organized lightweight gun cabinet makes sense. I'll have cameras and an alarm there. Any comments on this plan or experience with SecureIt?

https://www.secureitgunstorage.com/product-category/sporting/ultralight-gun-safe/

I think it would be a great fit for the needs you have.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I love SecureIt's sales pitch. "Gun safes don't work so if you're going to spend the money, spend it on us. We're lighter and better organized."

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I have my cheap tractor supply safe with their retrofit kits. I like the system. It only added space for two more guns, but it was easy to install, and I can now access and put away every gun by itself instead of pulling 3 guns out to get to one. Even scopes with guns can be next to each other without touching

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    For the money you can get a regular safe.... Not as easy to move. This stuff seems way overpriced. Check craigslist and see if you can find a bank of school or gym lockers. HAHAHAHA

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Have you ever priced a *real* safe?

Ment a Liberty or Cannon etc. Delivered. Not real one like gun store or Jens are kept in. I my self need one as the one I have is to small. So will have to get one brought to me and move the other I have to the guest room. Maybe then my wife will be ok with more guns if they are just guest? I will just tell her they were homeless so I had to let them stay. I am a good Samaritan. Never mind I can almost see her roll her eyes as I type

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

Welcome to Louisiana. My wife and I moved here after almost two decades in North Carolina, and we've found our home. The people are great, the landscape is breathtakingly beautiful, and the silly gun laws have, for the most part, been kept at bay.

I looked seriously at a SecureIt 52 a year or two ago, and I decided against it for a simple reason: safes should not be "ultralight." But I also wasn't moving into an apartment, and I knew that where my gun safe ended up would be its resting place for the remainder of my (hopefully long) natural life.

So, that said, this safe will make stealing your guns inconvenient, but easier than a more traditional (and heavier) safe. If you've got good multilayered security, then you'll probably be mostly concerned about a "smash and grab" type of burglary. And this would probably work.

I would just be cautious who you bring into your home, because a gun safe like that would say to anyone "there's a lot of nice guns in here."

Mike

Wethackrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2018
    New Orleans, LA
    Just get a real one brought to you.

Thanks! Having owned a very "real" Ft Knox vault for years now, I'm not all that certain that it provides any more real security than a SecureIt safe. The Ft Knox I have may, since it has 1/4" walls, but I'm not sure something like a Liberty Franklin would slow a determined thief or team of thieves down all that much. I have cloud-based cameras and a monitored alarm, which is probably where the real security is. I do think the SecureIt stuff is priced 20-30% too high, which is what makes this a more difficult decision.

Wethackrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2018
    New Orleans, LA
    I would just be cautious who you bring into your home, because a gun safe like that would say to anyone "there's a lot of nice guns in here."

Mike
    Point taken. Since I have no friends, that shouldn't be a problem. :) I do have cloud-based cameras and a monitored alarm system with its own cameras, so hopefully bad guys wouldn't het a lot of alone time with the safe(s).

Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    I wish you well in your endeavor. I just moved (within the month) and this was the third move in four years. My Cannon safe just about hare-lipped us moving it, and the poor snowflakes in the apartment block we initially lived in were triggered (see what I did there?) by the sight of a big GUN SAFE being moved into our apartment. I don't want to think about the logistics of a 1600 pound safe being moved. I have had friends who owned the Zanotti safes speak ver favorably about that product.

GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    Point taken. Since I have no friends, that shouldn't be a problem. :) I do have cloud-based cameras and a monitored alarm system with its own cameras, so hopefully bad guys wouldn't het a lot of alone time with the safe(s).

We are talking NOPD here aren't we? The others here can correct me if I am not remembering right, but it was posted several days back or longer that a woman in New Orleans called NOPD that she was being broken into several times and they robbed her and stole her car. They responded 17 hours later. Now alarms and camera's are ok, but if you can't get anyone there for a whole 8 to 12 hour shift or longer, well.
    I think with 8 to 12 hours I could manage to get into just about any gun safe with time to spare. Provided my side grinder holds up.
    More food for thought.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Yes Nopd response time is atrocious. I’ve called on multiple occasions about shop lifting etc, and each time they responded at around midnight when there was basically a shift change, and the over night guys handle the follow up of the morning guys. 8plus hours later.

I’m glad I live in a secluded spot but at the same time if a real emergency ever happened, I can’t rely on them getting to me.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    We are talking NOPD here aren't we? The others here can correct me if I am not remembering right, but it was posted several days back or longer that a woman in New Orleans called NOPD that she was being broken into several times and they robbed her and stole her car. They responded 17 hours later. Now alarms and camera's are ok, but if you can't get anyone there for a whole 8 to 12 hour shift or longer, well.
    I think with 8 to 12 hours I could manage to get into just about any gun safe with time to spare. Provided my side grinder holds up.
    More food for thought.

I believe she called and said she had been broken into. It took NOPD 17 hours to respond to a report roll, not to a crime in progress. Active alarms take will have a higher priority than a report roll.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    More food for thought.

I posted that when it was in the news recently. The NOPD is the worst, they don't even respond to a traffic accident without personal injury to write a report. So if your in NO and get hit by one of the 1 in 6 driving with zero insurance coverage, you just may be either paying for your repairs out of your pocket, or via your own insurance.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I posted that when it was in the news recently. The NOPD is the worst, they don't even respond to a traffic accident without personal injury to write a report. So if your in NO and get hit by one of the 1 in 6 driving with zero insurance coverage, you just may be either paying for your repairs out of your pocket, or via your own insurance.

Again, it's a report roll. It does not, and should not, have priority over crimes in progress. Any agreements between you and an insurance company is a civil matter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wethackrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2018
    New Orleans, LA
    Thanks for everyone's input on this. There's been a lot of well-informed comments. I do have multi-layer security. The building itself is fairly secure, and I have cameras and an alarm. And insurance ;).

Wethackrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2018
    New Orleans, LA
    That's pretty frightening, and does color my decision. In California I'm four blacks from the cop shop. A recent "someone is trying to get into the back window of my place" 911 call by a neighbor had two squad cars with six LEOs, Glocks out, pointed at the would-be burglar within 5 minutes. You're suggesting that response times are somewhat more... relaxed... in NOLA?

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom