She just added Tomatoes to the Gumbo

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    My wife cooks the Okra down with a can or Rotella in a separate pot and add them after cooked. My Aunt would take some fresh one and do the same top keep the okra from being slime. So for the last 30 years My wife has dome so.
    I know it is a no-no but it does work. Also no way am I gonna tell her how to fix food

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Just make sure she knows that there's a difference between chicken/sausage gumbo and seafood gumbo. Some people think they can put shrimp with the chicken and sausage.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Just make sure she knows that there's a difference between chicken/sausage gumbo and seafood gumbo. Some people think they can put shrimp with the chicken and sausage.

It is chicken sausage she had her sisters kid over. Who called it Slumbo..... Crystal was not amused. Cheaply made chicken and sausage gumbo instead of seafood is still gumbo. Well the "Slumbo"was great everyone eat. And have about 4 gallons left

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012

My dad does that and it's pretty okay. I prefer it separate, though.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    People screw up gumbo with all sorts of ingredients . Fine , it's a free country . But there should be a law that you must disclose such sacrilege prior to serving it .

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    It is chicken sausage she had her sisters kid over. Who called it Slumbo..... Crystal was not amused. Cheaply made chicken and sausage gumbo instead of seafood is still gumbo. Well the "Slumbo"was great everyone eat. And have about 4 gallons left

I love chicken and sausage gumbo (more so than seafood gumbo) but I was just mentioning meat and seafood gumbos should be separate. Some people combine meat with seafood!

Beau Etienne

Take a Card. Any Card.
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2009
    Breaux Bridge, LA
    I was raised cooking down any okra intended for gumbo with tomatoes, to reduce slime . My family traditionally uses tasso and smoked sausage, or shrimp, in okra gumbo and less seldom, a hen.
    I mostly follow the old school, but I do freestyle.

Last edited:

BluewaterLa

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Slidell La
    Only use Maters in seafood gumbo myself but would not hesitate to try a hefty bowl made a nudder way.

Turkey and Deer sausage gumbo reigns king in my home. Two times per year guaranteed this will be made is Thanksgiving and Christmas time in Mass quantities.
    Heck for a few years in a row my middle son would request it for his birthday dinner in August, Now that is a bit odd being so hot out but hey cant deny a good meal on ones birthday.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Best gumbo I've ever had was duck and andouille...

I'm allergic to onions so I can't have most people's gumbo any more. A friend of ours hosts New Years Eve and usually makes a separate batch for me without onions (thanks Richard!!!). Last year he did shrimp and corn bisque instead, which was great but not gumbo... I'm craving some gumbo!

Forgotten

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 30, 2016
    Lafayette, LA
    Eating offshore at different places over the years I get the opportunity to try different peoples cooking. I have found that some people put boiled eggs in chicken/ sausage gumbo others don’t. I've been to a few places that serve potato salad in it instead of rice. One of my favorite gumbos is seafood (Crab, shrimp, & smoked oysters) or a Christmas gumbo (chicken, sausage, & Shrimp). Okra I find makes most gumbos slimy and potato salad makes it creamy.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom