38 SPL Factory Load Power Factor

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rgibso6

Ryan
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Lafayette
    Greetings,

I guess I'm one of the few who shoots matches but doesn't reload ammo, but whatever. I switched from a 5" 45 ACP revolver that had no problem making major with just about anything to a 5" S&W 627 shooting 38 specials in which factory ammo making minor power factor is a unicorn. I rode around Lafayette buying anything that could come close or even surpass minor PF with what they listed on the box, plus a few other hopefuls.

Here is the list of the 38spl loads shot and chronographed from a 5" S&W 627 chambered in 357 and their results:

• Winchester white box FMJ--------------------- 130gr - 689 fps - 89PF
      Remington UMC green and white +P SJHP--- 125gr - 950 fps - 118PF
      Remington UMC yellow box MC--------------- 130gr - 767fps - 99PF
      Monarch Brass +p SJHP----------------------- 158gr - 690fps - 109PF
      Fed Am. Eagle LdRN---------------------------- 158gr - 734fps - 115PF
      Perfecta FMJ----------------------------------- 158gr - 848fps - 134PF
      Aguila FMJ ------------------------------------- 130gr - 706fps - 91PF
    The Perfecta load was the only one that made PF of at least 125. None of the loads with an advertised muzzle velocity achieved their claim, but the American Eagle was close, 734 vs. 770fps. I was especially disappointed with Monarch because they advertise over 100 fps of what was needed to achieve PF, but failed considerably. Remington doesn't bother advertising a muzzle velocity with their cheap ammo, which I'm OK with. I normally use the Remington UMC 130gr because it's cheap, accurate, and the level 1 matches don't use a chronograph.

The problems with that Perfecta load are I'm pretty sure it's discontinued and the brass doesn't fit well into the moon clips I have on hand. I picked up the Perfecta load as a Field and Stream packaged box of ammo on sale for about 25 cents per round. I bought the last box of ammo from the Lafayette location last Friday and then drove to Dick's in BR today to pick up 400 rounds so I have it for the match this weekend. I could have gotten it cheaper if I brought in some coupons, but whatever.

The moon clip issue is a bit more challenging. I get my moon clips from Revolver Supply, they're the cheapest that I know of, and I buy in bulk. I had 100+ already at .025" because they fit my Remington brass, and they're the thickest RSC carries. Thick is good with moon clips because they hold the round more secure and they last a little longer. RSC is pretty awesome because they also send sample packs of moon clips with other thicknesses: .020" and .022". The .022" holds the Perfecta rounds just fine, in fact, it's pretty frickin' secure. There's hardly any wobble. I did squeeze some into the .025" clips, but that caused a slight deformation in the clip which produced a light primer strike. I have 50 moon clips on the way from RSC in the .022" thickness as well as a moon clip checker.

If any of you have any chronograph data from 38spl factory loads that meet minor power factor, 125 kgrfps, please let me know. I'm sure I'll need some more eventually.

I have a lot of extra ammo on hand now that I don't have much use for. The point of aim / point of impact shifts too much from one load to the next in my revolvers for me to be comfortable using it in a match. I'm neurotic like that, sorry not sorry. So, I'll probably test a bunch of loads in my various revolvers: 3, 4, 5, and 6 inch barrels. I'll have to think of a way to compile that data to make it easy to interpret.

Cheers,
    Ryan

rgibso6

Ryan
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Lafayette
    I was able to bring a handful of 357 revolvers out to the range with a chronograph: 2", 3", 4", 5", and 6" Smith and Wessons. I tested it with the ammo above as well as a few other loads.

I got some cool data, but it's incomplete as of now. One of my revolvers went down and I forgot a load for my 5". Spoiler alert: my old school 4" k frame did surprisingly well. It smoked my late model performance center 627 and did almost as well as my 6" 586 no dash.

I'll get it posted when it's complete and analyzed.

rgibso6

Ryan
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Lafayette
    Those k frames are hard to beat for the 1st 6 shots. I've shot a few rounds through Colts and Rugers here and there. There's almost no comparison, Smiths are awesome revolvers.

Which iteration do you have, 19-?

Top Bottom