Join BayouShooter For Free
Cajun Ammo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marksman

User Info Menu

PA47 vs RAS47 vs Riley Defense

So I知 thinking about picking up a lower end ak. I am a very low volume rifle shooter, only get out a few times a year. I had a WASR but let it go.

im trying to decide between a RAS47 or two US made AKs (I know, I know). I知 leaning Riley because it now has a forged trunion. RAS47 has mixed reviews, PA47 is one I知 really curious about. For $500 I can pick one up.

Anyone with experience with the PSA, one of the others? Thanks in advance

Marksman

User Info Menu

Nobody that is even semi serious about AKs is going to recommend the RAS-47 ever. PA-47...remains to be seen if the reboot is worthy. Riley has not enough data. Initial offering of all was not good enough.

WASR. Good to go
    WBP. Good to go
    RH10 at Atlantic for around $650

Go read the national AK forums. The RAS47 replacement VK-something just failed 2x on a 1500 test. Failed miserably.
    Last edited by Saw; November 19th, 2018 at 08:07 AM.

Not Banned!!!

User Info Menu

700 bucks for a wasr is nuts...

I suggest keeping your eyes open for a deal at pawn and gun stores. I got a milled arsenal last year for 500 from a local shop. 95 percent condition
    "These Rocky Mountains aren't very rocky. Yeah, that John Denver is full of SH**!"

Marksman

User Info Menu

Check out the VSKA.
    Those who live by the sword, get shot by those who don't.

Tim

Marksman

User Info Menu

Check out that 2x VSKAs just failed at 1500rds. It is the age old thing with AKs. Combloc parts required and factory assembled are usually better.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Saw that shortly after posting. One could just be a lemon but both... I was fortunate enough to be around and able to buy pre-ban Norincos at $300-350. It breaks my heart to pay twice that for the chopped up POS they are bringing in now. I guess Arsenal is the only option if someone wants a new solid AK. I doubt we will ever see rifles that hasn’t been torn apart imported again. Very sad.
    Those who live by the sword, get shot by those who don't.

Tim

Pain is temporary

User Info Menu

Ive been trying to find a decently priced wasr or other similar ak for the last couple of years. It's been like trying to find a needle in a stack of needles.
    http://www.dhproject.org/

Be nice and be courteous, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdindadell View Post
    700 bucks for a wasr is nuts...

I suggest keeping your eyes open for a deal at pawn and gun stores. I got a milled arsenal last year for 500 from a local shop. 95 percent condition
    If you ever want to recover that $500, hit me up.

Great find.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I’ll echo the RAS47 comments. They seem to be more or less ticking time bombs. 100% avoidance seems to be the best route there.

FWIW, the gen 3 PSA just dropped. They have forged front trunions, bolt and carriers. Their Gen 2’s passed Rob Ski’s 5k round test with flying colors, so here’s to hoping the 3 will be even better. Their new AKV 9mm release has been an absolute flop, though, so only time will tell.

That being said, they plan on releasing Gen 3 PSAK’s with FN CHF barrels in the first quarter of ‘19. If then Gen 3 ends up being solid (I think we all hope that it will), this will more than likely be a good choice.

Sooner or later, an American company is going to nail the AK. When it does, we will all be better off for it. It just isn’t going to be the cheap rifles we are all used to.
    Last edited by Jay Ell Gee; January 4th, 2019 at 05:29 AM.