PA47 vs RAS47 vs Riley Defense

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Strick8

Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Jan 16, 2018
    Hammond, LA
    So I’m thinking about picking up a lower end ak. I am a very low volume rifle shooter, only get out a few times a year. I had a WASR but let it go.

im trying to decide between a RAS47 or two US made AKs (I know, I know). I’m leaning Riley because it now has a forged trunion. RAS47 has mixed reviews, PA47 is one I’m really curious about. For $500 I can pick one up.

Anyone with experience with the PSA, one of the others? Thanks in advance

Saw

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    New Orleans
    Nobody that is even semi serious about AKs is going to recommend the RAS-47 ever. PA-47...remains to be seen if the reboot is worthy. Riley has not enough data. Initial offering of all was not good enough.

WASR. Good to go
    WBP. Good to go
    RH10 at Atlantic for around $650

Go read the national AK forums. The RAS47 replacement VK-something just failed 2x on a 1500 test. Failed miserably.

Last edited:

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    700 bucks for a wasr is nuts...

I suggest keeping your eyes open for a deal at pawn and gun stores. I got a milled arsenal last year for 500 from a local shop. 95 percent condition

Saw

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    New Orleans
    Check out that 2x VSKAs just failed at 1500rds. It is the age old thing with AKs. Combloc parts required and factory assembled are usually better.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Saw that shortly after posting. One could just be a lemon but both... I was fortunate enough to be around and able to buy pre-ban Norincos at $300-350. It breaks my heart to pay twice that for the chopped up POS they are bringing in now. I guess Arsenal is the only option if someone wants a new solid AK. I doubt we will ever see rifles that hasn’t been torn apart imported again. Very sad.

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    Ive been trying to find a decently priced wasr or other similar ak for the last couple of years. It's been like trying to find a needle in a stack of needles.

Jay Ell Gee

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 21, 2015
    Baton Rouge, La
    I’ll echo the RAS47 comments. They seem to be more or less ticking time bombs. 100% avoidance seems to be the best route there.

FWIW, the gen 3 PSA just dropped. They have forged front trunions, bolt and carriers. Their Gen 2’s passed Rob Ski’s 5k round test with flying colors, so here’s to hoping the 3 will be even better. Their new AKV 9mm release has been an absolute flop, though, so only time will tell.

That being said, they plan on releasing Gen 3 PSAK’s with FN CHF barrels in the first quarter of ‘19. If then Gen 3 ends up being solid (I think we all hope that it will), this will more than likely be a good choice.

Sooner or later, an American company is going to nail the AK. When it does, we will all be better off for it. It just isn’t going to be the cheap rifles we are all used to.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/psak-47-gf3-forged-ak-m4-moe-rifle-black-5165450430.html

This is the one my eldest son recently bought. I’ve handled it and shot it enough to want one. Not 100% certain about parts compatibility but it appears to be close to standard for furniture fit at the least. I found the entire package to be good quality. Better metal work and finish than most eastern bloc and Chinese variants that I’ve owned or handled. On par with the ruskies I bought in the old days. Seems just a tad heavier than most, but shoots smooth as butter and I found it to be accurate with a very decent trigger. Mag swap was solid with the steel mags he had. We shot S&B steel cased about 4 mags of old Russian surplus and about 300 rounds of RedArmy without any drama. I didn’t shoot any of the guns I brought that day...
    I see one in my future. They also offer one in traditional looking furniture for $550.

60971569780852b9200189fca6bc4870.jpg

56cd26020a69e81192fda69871e17be8.jpg

Last edited:

southerner985

sheepdog
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Norco
    Look up akoperatorsunion on YT rob ski is doing a 5k test on the new PSA ak gen 3 that uses forged parts. He is 1k in and seems to think psa will have the ak market if it holds up. Say what you want about PSA but the are constantly improving their ak rifles based on customer feed back

rje0036

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2018
    New Orleans, LA
    I have shot the RAS47 and love it. PSA actually has stepped up alot since they purchased DDI not to long ago. Not sure if anyone has shot or owned a DDI but they were the brand name of AKs which was higher end quality for a hair more than a RAS. You honestly cant go wrong with either of the 3 choices. I like Rileys because I am a big fan of the quad rail, which they offer on a few of of their AKs.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    Honest answer is none of those have been proven. I would stay away from RAS for sure, I’m sure they shoot well but testing has shown consistent problems with usage. Stay away from the VSKA (newer model of RAS). Riley and PSA seem to have solid customer service and are moving the American made AK in a positive direction thus far, but time will tell.

Personally I own a WASR and VEPR.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom