Smooth bore vs threaded on the M590A1

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Foster style slugs, the most common standard 1oz 12ga slug (shaped like a rounded bottom cup) will have the best results in improved cylinder. They will pass through a full choke but they do meet resistance leaving the bore. They actually will begin to meet resistance leaving a modified choke. I’ve had very decent success with a smoothbore and rifled choke tube combo. Using a mossberg with a 4 inch rifled choke tube (I wanna say it was Hastings but can’t remember) on a 24 inch ribbed barrel and a 4x shotgun scope netted me consistent 4-5 inch groups at 100 yards. I tightened them up greatly when I went to a rifled barrel, but still not too shabby for a smooth bore and elcheapo slugs.
    Btw, Winchester and Browning (I believe) chokes will fit in the mossberg barrels.

Last edited:

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Have you had your 590A1 threaded already? I sent a couple barrels to Aimpro Tactical for a customer and they came back well done. He had them cut for traditional mossberg style thread pattern. They have my recommendation.

http://www.aimprotactical.com/aimpro_tactical_mossberg_performance_shop.htm

As far as chokes go for slugs I wouldn't personally shoot a slug through a choke other than cylinder or improved cylinder restriction.

I also second Brenneke. Those suckers mean business!

Last edited:

Ben Karns

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 2, 2017
    Covington, LA
    Got it, so slugs won't hurt the internal threading with no choke?

Im debating which model shotgun to buy, one is threaded and one is smooth bore. I just want to be able to shoot all shot and slugs no problem.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Got it, so slugs won't hurt the internal threading with no choke?

Im debating which model shotgun to buy, one is threaded and one is smooth bore. I just want to be able to shoot all shot and slugs no problem.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Yes Ben. The threads aren’t exposed unless you’re shooting it without the choke in, which I wouldn’t recommend. If you can’t find an extended rifled choke made for slugs I’d stick with Cyl or Imp Cyl.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom