Response from Dead Air regarding barrel length

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I sent off an email this morning to Dear Air regarding their Sandman S. I am starting an AR10 build. The main reason for the build is I don't have one. The rifle will be mostly a range toy but may see some action around the property so it's not being build for long distance shooting. As such, barrel length is not an issue. There is very little chance of the +-100 fps difference between an 18" and a 14.5" barrel causing me to miss a shot. My question to them was " I know the Sandman S has no barrel length restriction but how does wear and tear relate to the barrel length?"

Their reply was:
    "We use stelite for our baffles on the Sandman series of silencers. We have multiple silencers with 30-40k rounds through them with no wear on the baffles at all. We also have never had a silencer come back to warranty for baffle erosion. You should be good to go with either barrel length and we do mean no barrel length restriction. I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any other questions!"

So it seems the shorter length would affect the shooter much more than the silencer, according to the manufacturer. I know I've heard people, either on here or elsewhere, mention damage to the silencer as one of the issues with a shorter barrel so I figured I would share the reply.

meplatgroup

Louisiana's #1 NFA Dealer
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    I sent off an email this morning to Dear Air regarding their Sandman S. I am starting an AR10 build. The main reason for the build is I don't have one. The rifle will be mostly a range toy but may see some action around the property so it's not being build for long distance shooting. As such, barrel length is not an issue. There is very little chance of the +-100 fps difference between an 18" and a 14.5" barrel causing me to miss a shot. My question to them was " I know the Sandman S has no barrel length restriction but how does wear and tear relate to the barrel length?"

Their reply was:
    "We use stelite for our baffles on the Sandman series of silencers. We have multiple silencers with 30-40k rounds through them with no wear on the baffles at all. We also have never had a silencer come back to warranty for baffle erosion. You should be good to go with either barrel length and we do mean no barrel length restriction. I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any other questions!"

So it seems the shorter length would affect the shooter much more than the silencer, according to the manufacturer. I know I've heard people, either on here or elsewhere, mention damage to the silencer as one of the issues with a shorter barrel so I figured I would share the reply.

Dead Air builds really solid cans and like many manufacturers they don’t have any barrel length restrictions. The shortening the barrel is has the same effect on the baffles as moving your hand closer to a blowtorch—-the closer, the hotter.

I’ve shoot Sandman cans on 7.5” 5.56mm ARs quite a bit and they hold up just fine. You are completely good to go and if you manage to melt it, they will be very impressed and warranty it. LOL.

Just make sure you get the muzzle brake pinned and welded to the barrel to being the total barrel length to 16” so it isn’t an SBR. If you want to go SBR, 12” is really nice on a .308.

Call if you need anything or have any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I grabbed an Aero Precision builder set with a 15" handguard. But the handguard has a 1.7" ID so the silencer would go on fine. And I thought I was punishing myself with considering a 14.5" barrel.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom