Fox Squirrel Hunting Around The Northshore?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    I’m looking for a place I can take my 12 year old son fox squirrel hunting. Preferably within an hour of Slidell.

Does anyone know of a place I can take him? We’re not opposed to hunting with airguns if necessary.

Thanks!

nickjone5

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2017
    Hammond
    Honey island but make sure to wear lots of orange. Guy was shot and killed on accident by his friend while they were hunting a month ago. If honey island is too crowded you can try big branch in Lacombe.

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    Honey island but make sure to wear lots of orange. Guy was shot and killed on accident by his friend while they were hunting a month ago. If honey island is too crowded you can try big branch in Lacombe.

What he said..... both are full of squirrels. My back yard is full this time of year. Bit my wife has named the damn things. Puts out food. Forbids me to eat them....

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    We’ve hunted Honey Island, Big Branch and Bogue Chitto for years. All have grey squirrels but no fox squirrels.

I’ve had enough iffy to bad encounters in Honey Island to feel comfortable taking home anymore. There aren’t many squirrels in Big Branch. Bogue Chitto isn’t bad but again, it’s all grey squirrles.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    In my experience, you need to go further north.
    I have seen fox squirrels in big branch and honey island, but they are very rare.

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    In my experience, you need to go further north.
    I have seen fox squirrels in big branch and honey island, but they are very rare.

I’ve heard there was a stand of them in Big Branch. After 25 years of hunting the area I have not found them.

I’ve seen them along I-12 by the Anheiser Bush DC and tons of them in Money Hill so I know there are populations around.

johnpaul

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2016
    metairie,la
    I have been hunting honey island for many years and never seen a fox squirrel.I am new here and of course I am having trouble posting a question because I have just graduated from hunt-and-peck to peck slowly.Does anybody know why crackbarrel shotguns and rifles don't spit out the shells when you open them anymore? I hunt primitive in honey island with crackbarrel shotgun and rifle and i am old and remember when shells would pop out.Anybody can help this oldman out?

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    My house backs up to 12 near the St. Tammany/Tangi line and those big fox squirrels are in my yard all the time.

Last edited:

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    I have been hunting honey island for many years and never seen a fox squirrel.I am new here and of course I am having trouble posting a question because I have just graduated from hunt-and-peck to peck slowly.Does anybody know why crackbarrel shotguns and rifles don't spit out the shells when you open them anymore? I hunt primitive in honey island with crackbarrel shotgun and rifle and i am old and remember when shells would pop out.Anybody can help this oldman out?

Look at/for the ejector usually on the bottom of the chamber. It can get seized up and quit working. If there is an ejector there but doesn’t work, this can be remedied by removing cleaning and possibly replacing the spring. Hope this helps.

Sig220

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bridge City,TX

I saw where you got one response already. In addition, some break over shotguns/rifles do not eject the emptys so that the shooter can pull them out rather then look for them on the ground. Congrats on your graduation on keyboard process....lol We all have to crawl before we walk!! Good Luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom