Red Flag Law Killed Maryland Gun Owner

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I'd wager that police officers, of which I am not one, are asked to take an oath to the Constitution. I'd also wager that somewhere in their training they are instructed not to obey unlawful orders.

Now, . . ., These oaths and instructions are nothing new to those of us who served in the military.

Still, things like Mỹ Lai happen.

The thing that brings hope is the action of that ONE brave person who does the right thing. That CW Thompson.

Where was that person when the order was given to confiscate personal property without due process?

I know that there are intelligent, caring officers behind the badge, who know right from wrong. Who are as brave as Warrant Officer Thompson was in defending what is right.

I know police officers who would refuse to issue, or obey an order they knew was unconstitutional.

It's a shame that there were no officers of that caliber in the chain of command in Maryland on that day.

enigmedic

Rating - 100%
    14   0   1
    Sep 14, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I'd wager that police officers, of which I am not one, are asked to take an oath to the Constitution. I'd also wager that somewhere in their training they are instructed not to obey unlawful orders.

Now, . . ., These oaths and instructions are nothing new to those of us who served in the military.

Still, things like Mỹ Lai happen.

The thing that brings hope is the action of that ONE brave person who does the right thing. That CW Thompson.

Where was that person when the order was given to confiscate personal property without due process?

I know that there are intelligent, caring officers behind the badge, who know right from wrong. Who are as brave as Warrant Officer Thompson was in defending what is right.

I know police officers who would refuse to issue, or obey an order they knew was unconstitutional.

It's a shame that there were no officers of that caliber in the chain of command in Maryland on that day.

DBMJR1 nailed it. It is very good reading, especially for BS members that are too young to remember it.

If you want to research it look up CWO Hugh Thompson, or Major Hugh Thompson. I did a Wikipedia search of CW Thompson and it brought me to the deceased Louisiana legislator, lol.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    DBMJR1 nailed it. It is very good reading, especially for BS members that are too young to remember it.

If you want to research it look up CWO Hugh Thompson, or Major Hugh Thompson. I did a Wikipedia search of CW Thompson and it brought me to the deceased Louisiana legislator, lol.

I once had the honor of Hugh Thompson being my pilot in the Gulf

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    I wonder if someone gets ratted out for having a illegal bump stock if the red flag law will be used to knock down the door and kill everyone inside to get that plastic death machine out of circulation?

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I wonder if someone gets ratted out for having a illegal bump stock if the red flag law will be used to knock down the door and kill everyone inside to get that plastic death machine out of circulation?

Probably so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Four pages of this thread with probably 300 yards of text...and I'm confused why people are arguing.

Summary from the video (save you five minutes):
    Police (lawfully, under a possibly unlawful law, but with valid court order) attempt to take a firearm(s) from an individual. Upon doing so, individual grabs firearm and struggles with cop. During struggle, a round is fired. Other cops immediately shoot individual. Individual dies.

I'm all for supporting a cause, but there is a time, place, and method of doing so. When surrounded by a bunch of guys with guns, grabbing a gun is illogical regardless of the situation. If Rosa Parks was sitting on the bus and told to get up or die immediately, she would be silly to choose death. In this case, that is what that guy did. He could have peacefully argued his side and likely won. The cops have to deal with dumbasses every day and are trained to do what it takes to keep themselves from getting shot so they can go home to their families.

Is the law legal? If it were to go to the Supreme Court, I lean towards probably not. But it is the current law and law enforcement did their job. At the ripe age of 60, the man was surely familiar about court systems and how they work. He choose to fight over a gun with a bunch of guys with more guns and presumably training specifically aimed (no pun intended) at winning a fight with a guy wrestling over a gun...

enigmedic

Rating - 100%
    14   0   1
    Sep 14, 2010
    New Orleans area
    No ****? PHI? Did you know his history or reputation at that time? More than once I met someone of consequence, but I didn't know their significance until after the meeting. It was unfortunate for me; a wasted opportunity.

Last edited:

enigmedic

Rating - 100%
    14   0   1
    Sep 14, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Petroleum Helicopters Inc. At one time they were the largest helicopter transportation company in the gulf, might still be. They contract to both medical and rig companies.

enigmedic

Rating - 100%
    14   0   1
    Sep 14, 2010
    New Orleans area
    If your referring to me then yes, His service and reputation was well known in the Gulf

That's cool. When I was still active duty, I had the occasion to meet some celebrities, professional athletes, politicians, dignitaries, etc. When showing photo albums and asked who was the most memorable, I usually have 1 reply. By sheer chance I got to meet the father of Jacques Fontan, Navy SEAL killed on Turbine 33, the downed helo from Operation Red Wings. Jacques was a Louisiana native and quite a remarkable man.
    I always marvel when people say NBA players or the like should be held to a higher standard, or punished more severely, for their indiscretions because they are "role models." If a child was raised with the notion that throwing a ball further or running faster than the next guy makes someone a good person and a mentor, that poor kid didn't have a chance anyway. Our country is full of people who are true role models; who sacrificed much more, for much less money. Their names should be on bridges, public buildings, and in the public eye.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    That's cool. When I was still active duty, I had the occasion to meet some celebrities, professional athletes, politicians, dignitaries, etc. When showing photo albums and asked who was the most memorable, I usually have 1 reply. By sheer chance I got to meet the father of Jacques Fontan, Navy SEAL killed on Turbine 33, the downed helo from Operation Red Wings. Jacques was a Louisiana native and quite a remarkable man.
    I always marvel when people say NBA players or the like should be held to a higher standard, or punished more severely, for their indiscretions because they are "role models." If a child was raised with the notion that throwing a ball further or running faster than the next guy makes someone a good person and a mentor, that poor kid didn't have a chance anyway. Our country is full of people who are true role models; who sacrificed much more, for much less money. Their names should be on bridges, public buildings, and in the public eye.

I agree 100%, I missed Kris Kristofferson by a few years, He also flew for PHI and hated it, This was at Eugene Island 208/209

Deacon

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    I am surprised at how many Bayou Shooter members are submissive, or outright supporting this law. Just saying. And if that comment doesn't apply to you, please don't take offense. If it does apply, , I'm not saying it to offend. Just an observation

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I am surprised at how many Bayou Shooter members are submissive, or outright supporting this law. Just saying. And if that comment doesn't apply to you, please don't take offense. If it does apply, , I'm not saying it to offend. Just an observation

Psst...Now that we have the Lib-tards focused on this and the bump stock ban, The plan is to run something great thru the channels like repealing the gun control act of 1934 and the ban on importing certain surplus firearms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom