Let’s talk MUZZLE DEVICES

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Muzzle devices, primarily brakes, comps and flash suppressors for the AR rifle:

There are likely around a brazillion different brands and styles of muzzle devices for these rifles (and other rifles and pistols of course) built for different purposes, to fill different needs, and man how the prices can vary. I get the need for specialty devices threaded for suppressors (or QD fitted) and the way most of those divert gas out the sides, in effect breaking up the blast and ultimately reducing noise even more. I mostly don’t get the hard core brakes that shunt more noise and gas to the sides and even partially rearward. I’m sure they serve a purpose on a full fledged precision bench rest rifle, reducing recoil. But how many times will that rifle get shot in a range trip compared to a tacti-cool balls out battle rifle?
    I’ve seen the practical comparisons where they measured recoil in the form of rearward force of the rifle during the shot with several models. Some do that job very well, but at what cost vs benefit? I can’t wrap my head around why so many shooters use the heavy brakes on standard or battle type AR rifles. The blast and concussion seems far more of a nuisance than any perceived recoil to me. Again, on a sporter, standard, run of the mill and especially the SBR’s! If im gonna crank on a half pound of steel to the end of my rifle I want it to improve the shooting experience.
    I still use the old birdcage on a few rifles, as long as it’s an improved model with the bottom side closed. Prone shooting with an open bottom cage can sure stir up some dust.
    I also like a good pig on the threaded devices when not shooting suppressed. Very pleasant when shooting a SBR compared to others.
    But my favorite all around AR comp and the one that makes the most sense to me is the linear style. The first ones I ever used were sold by DPMS, the Levang Linear Compensator. I don’t know how many I’ve owned over the years. Lately I’ve been buying the KAW brand. Blast goes straight out the front along with the concussion, downrange where it belongs. For anyone who hasn’t used these or a pig, you should give one a shot. They do reduce recoil to some extent but aren’t as efficient at it as the loud brakes. But I have to say, the shot feels much softer than with a side blasting brake. My .308 rifles seem almost the same as the 5.56.
    So my query to all you dyed in the wool side and rearward exit brake fans, recoil really that bad?
    Ever consider a Hydraulic buffer?
    Have you ever been a victim of that magazine dumping mad man beside you at the bench shooting the 16 inch barreled LR-08 with the big tank style brake? Did you ever recover your hat and shooting glasses? Did that bite hole in your tongue heal ok?
    I’ve never considered recoil from a 5.56 AR to be a hindrance. Recoil from a .308 AR, while a little snappier, still doesn’t slow me down.
    So sell me on a good reason to choose blast over recoil. What devices are you guys using and why? And I sure hope I get at least one tactical response.
    dad6ac4ed11549927b7d2ccdbc4fcd61.jpg

3c7309123f62ed0d147c270da1ece73a.jpg

73170e4d7d568acd877161b76d1f5b62.jpg

5fb6fbfefb260cfc8f3cbe522fb14d53.jpg

Last edited:

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I had the kaw valley linear on the 7.5" sbr upper. It now sports a MI blast can because I swapped the to a longer rail. They both serve their purpose of directing the blast forward. That thump from 7.5 with 5.56 is still pretty concussive....thats why I went the 10.5 with a can route after.

Kawvalley in action.
    vwNk0Ng.jpg

Midwest.
    9Nh3bKg.jpg

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    I have tried many different muzzle devices on a few different rifles.

As for the price, I find it hard to spend the big bucks on some of these nice devices when there are plenty of really good performing devices out there for around $30. Sometimes less.

As for blast/concussion, I feel like those competition style brakes are unnecessary unless you’re competing, for rifle or handgun.

I personally really like combo devices, you can lessen muzzle rise, reduce flash, and soften perceived recoil ( compared to A2 FH ) and many combo devices do this without a noticeable increase in blast/concussion.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Great info and answers guys.
    rcm, that pic is impressive. Taking note of that blast can. I think that’s definitely the way to go on a SBR.
    Xobelkcat, I agree with your points. I know there’s a specific purpose for the side blasters, but jeeze, it’s like sticking the muzzle into a pipe bomb.
    And I’ve spent over a hundred bucks (maybe twice) on external threaded devices but nothing close to that on what I’d call general purpose plinking, target shooting or hunting comps/brakes. If it’s steel and the design lends to any sort of flash and recoil management without blowing up the bench, it’ll likely suit my needs at 30 bucks.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    For me I’d rather a dedicated flash hider like the three or four pronged devices on an sbr. It’s gonna be loud and lots of blast, so might as well take away the flash.

A company called white sound has a 3 pronged FH that also mitigates muzzle rise and about 20% of felt recoil. It’s called FOSSA or FOOSA it’s about $100 so I haven’t personally tried it yet.

CBlack

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Covington, La
    You should look at NG2 Defense and their MZLMAX.

Several YouTube videos on it. Some Tier 1 guys are trying them out as well as other agencies.

One video shows a 9.5" M249 blasting away...prone.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom