Venison slow cooker - Frozen?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    Has anyone ever put FROZEN meat like venison or beef into a slow cooker? I use my slow cooker often, but I always thaw my venison out before cooking. I hear mixed opinions about using frozen meats. Some claim it's a health hazard. Others say the slow cooker can reach safe temperatures to cook frozen meat thoroughly. I'm just curious what the general BS consensus on this issue is. I have never tried it because I always plan ahead and have time to thaw my meat out. But, if I were in a pinch and used frozen meat, will I DIE?!

Also, funny story:

My girl will not eat venison if she knows what it is. But if I make something with venison and tell her it's beef, she loves it! She has eaten venison about a dozen more times than she knows! Haha! Is that wrong of me? Should I tell her?

Who Dat?!

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    You would be ok as long as the internal temp reaches what it should be. Just like cooling a frozen turkey. As long as it is 165. Downside is that taste will be off. Defrosting and be brazing to keep the juices in and letting it rest is best.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Put the frozen deer roast in a tupperware pan large enough to hold it,Pour a liter of Pepsi over it,Cover and set it in the fridge.

Rotate the deer roast the next day.Let it sit overnight.

You now have a deer roast that is thawed properly without fear of bacteria growth of uncooked frozen center.

The Pepsi takes the ''wild'' taste out of the meat

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    We’ve done frozen roast in slow cooker. Never got sick. Just do as the others said, cook till done.

Always be honest with your signifcant other. No matter how silly it may seem to you that she doesn’t want to eat deer, it’s still her choice to do so or not. I suspect you wouldn’t want her feeding you balogney and tell you it’s steak...

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    Put the frozen deer roast in a tupperware pan large enough to hold it,Pour a liter of Pepsi over it,Cover and set it in the fridge.

Rotate the deer roast the next day.Let it sit overnight.

You now have a deer roast that is thawed properly without fear of bacteria growth of uncooked frozen center.

The Pepsi takes the ''wild'' taste out of the meat

I've used the milk method. Never heard of this cola method! Thanks!

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    We’ve done frozen roast in slow cooker. Never got sick. Just do as the others said, cook till done.

Always be honest with your signifcant other. No matter how silly it may seem to you that she doesn’t want to eat deer, it’s still her choice to do so or not. I suspect you wouldn’t want her feeding you balogney and tell you it’s steak...

It was really more a joke. I do tell her. Not always before the meal though! Haha! She loves venison. Her not wanting to eat it has nothing to do with her beliefs or anything like that. She swears that when she knows it's venison ahead of time, it taste too "gamey & wild." But, that's all a mental thing because she'll rave about how amazing it is on other occasions.

Just to clarify, I was kidding. I don't trick her very often. About meat anyways... :)

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    It was really more a joke. I do tell her. Not always before the meal though! Haha! She loves venison. Her not wanting to eat it has nothing to do with her beliefs or anything like that. She swears that when she knows it's venison ahead of time, it taste too "gamey & wild." But, that's all a mental thing because she'll rave about how amazing it is on other occasions.

Just to clarify, I was kidding. I don't trick her very often. About meat anyways... :)

Get some Buffalo from Whole Foods. The roast is big $ but the trimmings are ok priced. The cuttings are sold as stew meat, but last time they never had enough si the guy cut a roast up to make more. Crazy but I bought it all he cut up. Nice and lean

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom