Bump stock executive order?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If the ban were only about the 2nd amendment

It is not

I think there’s like one or two replies here that reflect anyone acknowledging that fact.

If they banned nose rings tomorrow I wouldn’t give 2 shits. But if I heard that anyone with a hole in their nasal septum was gonna be made a felon tomorrow as a result of the new law, I’d be furious. Furious to know that I’m living in s communist country. It’s a sad day when almost no one can see the reality of where we are headed.

There are generally 2 ways to enforce a law. One way is to convince people the law benefits everyone and, therefore, the individual. It's in his best interest to obey the law lest someone else feel the same way he does and make him the victim. The other way is by fear of repercussions. The left has been unable to convince people banning bump stocks is in their best interest so they are willing to scare them by instantly making them criminals. And if the penalty is harsh enough, fewer people would be willing to be the test case. And if it's a quick implementation, a large number of people will have complied by the time it may be overturned. And by that time, they may be unwilling to reacquire the items in case it happens again and they are out more time and money.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    IF (Yes its a IF) the bump stock would have been available prior to the ban of automatic weapons, would it have been included? Id say, "yes without a doubt."

I'm a good old 2A kind of guy. So additional laws against that right I typically oppose.
    However, I think the bump stock is stupid.

I think there is a difference between the firearm and a piece of optional equipment (I admit this statement could be applied to items such as mags, which I whole heartedly appose capacity restrictions).

As far as a bump stock ban, I think we should first tackle the recent age restrictions and restricted mags. Those two cases will do more to solidify and advance the 2A than loosing a bump stock will diminish it.

Mike's $.02

Wait!!!! Automatic Weapons are now banned????? I didn't get the notice. There's going to be a lot of peeved off machine gun owners.

See, here's the problem. In 1934 people in Congress were still able to read the Constitution. They knew they couldn't ban machine guns, but they also knew that Congress holds the power of taxation. Hence the NFA. A tax law.

This is an outright ban. Confiscation of property.

What's next?

The blood of patriots and tyrants is a natural manure.

Troedoff

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Prairieville
    It will be intersting to see what the context of the EO looks like, and which laws they use to justify the action against Bump Stocks. I personally don't care for them, but I also oppose any legislation, because it never stops there. It will be challenged, but likely it will be upheld. Same as a trigger group is not a firearm, but a FA trigger group installed in an AR makes it illegal. It is a modification designed to skirt machine gun laws.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Are the triggers going to be in this bill as well?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    There is precedence for government taking a reactionary/precautionary stance on an otherwise innocuous inanimate object deemed to be public safety threat; remember these?

5-3-wheelers-671x382.jpg

This outright ban was initiated by the US Government to address what was thought as the time as a major threat to public safety. Subsequent studies (including this one by the Consumer Product Safety Council https://www.cpsc.gov/s3fs-public/pdfs/2014atvannualreport.pdf ), show that ATV related deaths did not decline after the ban of 3-wheel ATV's. It's a long read, but it portrays a fix to a perceived problem that never really existed. And it also illustrates that deaths due to any ATV are almost always due to operator error, or younger inexperienced drivers; and not necessarily to the tool or vehicle.

Is it germane to the proposed ban of Bump Stocks? Another perceived (by some?!?), public safety concern? Couldn't a semi-skilled shooter hold a true enough aim while rapidly flicking a semi-automatic rifle trigger (particularly a very soft adjusted trigger), fast enough to almost equal the rate of fire of bump stocks?

I believe the only person that has committed felony murder with these devices to date is the Vegas killer.

This smacks of a purely politically motivated slight of hand for something else. Trump didn't just wake up one morning and realize these things are a menace to society. It is so out of the his wheelhouse to toss out this idea that it almost certainly must be a sacrificial lamb for something he wants from those scumbags in Congress.

If in the end it turns out that he has nothing in return, or gets nothing, or continues to see anti-firearm pushback for the remaining two years of his term; then he is a pandering dumbass like the rest of them. I still think it is Unconstitutional as an EO; but I would give Trump the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Long way to go!

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    It will be intersting to see what the context of the EO looks like, and which laws they use to justify the action against Bump Stocks. I personally don't care for them, but I also oppose any legislation, because it never stops there. It will be challenged, but likely it will be upheld. Same as a trigger group is not a firearm, but a FA trigger group installed in an AR makes it illegal. It is a modification designed to skirt machine gun laws.
    It redefines the term 'machine gun' to include devices that allow the action to be initiated by a single pull of the trigger.
    Are the triggers going to be in this bill as well?

There is no bill, or legislation. This is the tyrannical imposition of the will of a man who thinks he is emperor.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    There is precedence for government taking a reactionary/precautionary stance on an otherwise innocuous inanimate object deemed to be public safety threat; remember these?

5-3-wheelers-671x382.jpg

This outright ban was initiated by the US Government to address what was thought as the time as a major threat to public safety. Subsequent studies (including this one by the Consumer Product Safety Council https://www.cpsc.gov/s3fs-public/pdfs/2014atvannualreport.pdf ), show that ATV related deaths did not decline after the ban of 3-wheel ATV's. It's a long read, but it portrays a fix to a perceived problem that never really existed. And it also illustrates that deaths due to any ATV are almost always due to operator error, or younger inexperienced drivers; and not necessarily to the tool or vehicle.

Is it germane to the proposed ban of Bump Stocks? Another perceived (by some?!?), public safety concern? Couldn't a semi-skilled shooter hold a true enough aim while rapidly flicking a semi-automatic rifle trigger (particularly a very soft adjusted trigger), fast enough to almost equal the rate of fire of bump stocks?

I believe the only person that has committed felony murder with these devices to date is the Vegas killer.

This smacks of a purely politically motivated slight of hand for something else. Trump didn't just wake up one morning and realize these things are a menace to society. It is so out of the his wheelhouse to toss out this idea that it almost certainly must be a sacrificial lamb for something he wants from those scumbags in Congress.

If in the end it turns out that he has nothing in return, or gets nothing, or continues to see anti-firearm pushback for the remaining two years of his term; then he is a pandering dumbass like the rest of them. I still think it is Unconstitutional as an EO; but I would give Trump the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Long way to go!
    all good points Emperor, but when 3 wheelers were banned, it was just the import/sales of three wheelers. Nobody had to destroy or turn them in. I kept both mine for over a decade past the ban. Parts were still available too, even Lifan engines to repower them.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    all good points Emperor, but when 3 wheelers were banned, it was just the import/sales of three wheelers. Nobody had to destroy or turn them in. I kept both mine for over a decade past the ban. Parts were still available too, even Lifan engines to repower them.

In emperors argument that deaths regarding ATVs didn’t decrease, would they have decreased if they would have confiscated and destroyed all of them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    Wait!!!! Automatic Weapons are now banned????? I didn't get the notice. There's going to be a lot of peeved off machine gun owners.

See, here's the problem. In 1934 people in Congress were still able to read the Constitution. They knew they couldn't ban machine guns, but they also knew that Congress holds the power of taxation. Hence the NFA. A tax law.

This is an outright ban. Confiscation of property.

What's next?

The blood of patriots and tyrants is a natural manure.

If you don't see a law requiring you to pay to play, or forcing your registration, as a defacto ban, then you should take more time learning about those men from the 1930s and read the Constitution as they do.

When your talking about Constitutional rights, an infringement is a ban.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    If you don't see a law requiring you to pay to play, or forcing your registration, as a defacto ban, then you should take more time learning about those men from the 1930s and read the Constitution as they do.

When your talking about Constitutional rights, an infringement is a ban.
    A ban is definitely an infringement

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    I’m just glad they *Did Something* for the children. Now the libtards should be satisfied and drop the whole gun control thing. We only had a little bit of freedom stripped away. Could have been worse. At least mags, triggers, and belt loops are still legal.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    So the one for sale here in the classifieds has no value in 90 days or less I would guess to say.

Tigerfish

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Prairieville, La
    From the article:
    “Investigators expect most owners will comply with the new rule and ATF will take action against those who don't, the official said. But there's no surefire way to know whether owners are complying.”

Don’t these idiots realize that they just stated the inherent problem with any attempt at gun control: only the law abiding will comply and there’s no way to know who hasn’t. But we know the criminals won’t.....never mind..
    #preachingtothechoir

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom