What to do with coyotes?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheBigRServices

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Loranger, La
    So I've shot a few coyotes lately and wondering what others do with them so as not to be wasteful. Anyone sell or buy the pelts or whole coyote? I don't really want to eat them ha ha.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I trapped quite a bit as a teen, growing up near the amite river in East Feleciana parish. Pelts fetched good money back then. Long after I hung up my traps the price for pelts dropped drastically and I have no idea why. I don’t even think you can find a local buyer anymore. There are leather works that buy deer hides here and there, mostly northwest US. Maybe try your luck with that route online.
    Tanning is not a hard process to learn and winter coyote pelts can be quite impressive when done right.

Btw, if you need live bait to stake out I got some old hens I need to give away.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I trapped quite a bit as a teen, growing up near the amite river in East Feleciana parish. Pelts fetched good money back then. Long after I hung up my traps the price for pelts dropped drastically and I have no idea why. I don’t even think you can find a local buyer anymore. There are leather works that buy deer hides here and there, mostly northwest US. Maybe try your luck with that route online.
    Tanning is not a hard process to learn and winter coyote pelts can be quite impressive when done right.

Btw, if you need live bait to stake out I got some old hens I need to give away.

If you were on the river in EF you must know where Pride is. My friend had two under his carport in Pride. Lots around here now

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    If you were on the river in EF you must know where Pride is. My friend had two under his carport in Pride. Lots around here now
    Yeah, my aunt and uncle lived off Greenwell Springs on TJ Price rd. Baywood/Pride area. Rabbits and coyotes galore

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I actually live in EF and I hear them all the time at night. Never seen them although I've never gone out looking for them.

I'm close to EF. From my north property line it's less that a half mile to EF.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    This is my neighbor he killed this one going after his chickens. That's my woods in the picture.
    l0ho8nqj5q7dxshs2slp.jpg

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I might know them I know a lot of people in Baywood Jim Pride and Lee Price rds.

Ah, Lee Price road.. I was mistaken. W T Price used to be the CEO at East Louisiana State Hospital..the crazy house in Jackson, Price Leblanc sold cars dahlin, and The Price is Right is a game show...I got no idea where TJ price came from, but come back tomorrow and I might have an answer, lol.

Anyway, Blankenship was their name. He owned a machine shop out there. I haven’t seen them in 20 years or so.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Well I have the one I shot yesterday. I'm near Loranger, La if you want it. Not sure how long before other critters get it first. What's your plans with it? just curious
    Freeze it til spring then throw it in a big ant pile and cover it with something big enough that nothing can carry it off. They’ll clean it up real nice in a few days.

pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    Let the backstrap sit in milk for 1 hr, vacuum seal with olive oil, salt, pepper - immerse in sous vide after bath for 3 hrs - finish over a grill with red hot coals for 5 min. It will probably taste like roadkill but you won't know unless you try. Cats, on the other hand, that recipe actually works with...

TheBigRServices

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Loranger, La
    Let the backstrap sit in milk for 1 hr, vacuum seal with olive oil, salt, pepper - immerse in sous vide after bath for 3 hrs - finish over a grill with red hot coals for 5 min. It will probably taste like roadkill but you won't know unless you try. Cats, on the other hand, that recipe actually works with...

:drool: yum. I know what will be on the dinner table when the in-laws come over for Christmas.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Somehow, I did not expect that comment from the only lady that posts on the board... :)

Maybe lure them in with the free chickens someone is giving away as coyote bait?

Sorry not sorry.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom