Centerfire pistol hog hunting WMA

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheBigRServices

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Loranger, La
    Seems like I remember this being discussed before, but couldn't find the post.

From '18-'19 regs under WMA hog section.
    "All hogs must be killed

immediately and may not be transported

live under any conditions, and hunters may
    use centerfire pistols in addition to using

guns allowed for season in progress."

I'm thinking this would be a great reason to get a sig arm brace and pistol buffer tube for the AR? Would I be wrong to assume I could hunt pigs like this year round? I'm not sure if that is the intention of the text, but...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TheBigRServices

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Loranger, La
    Read some more and it seems scoped centerfire handgun is not allowed and you also have to carry legal hunting gear for open game season?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    Ya, have to carry a small game rifle or shotgun during small game season or centerfire firearm of your choice during deer season which also includes the centerfire pistol as it is legal to hunt deer with.
    During primitive season on wma--singleshot pistol or rifle or shotgun or muzzleloader is legal for deer hunting and also for shooting hogs. Also shotguns and steel or approved nontoxic shot for waterfowl hunting and I guess you can strap a centerfire pistol on as well for hog shooting.
    No firearms can be carried on WMA if there is no open hunting season unless your at the shooting range where hunting is not allowed.
    Basically allows you to carry a centerfire pistol during small game or waterfowl season to shoot hogs with, otherwise you can just use your deer rifle, shotgun, pistol to dispatch hogs during the open seasons.

Last edited:

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    Now the usual disclaimers. That's my take on the regulations but I would advise to call LA Wildlife and Fisheries to make sure this is the case. If you ask 3 game wardens the same question, you'll probably get 3 different answers.

Top Bottom