Recommendations for a 2 piece gas block

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Without going into detail as to how I came to be in this situation (very short story - oversight on my part), I find myself in need of a 2 piece gas block. I have a 14.5" barrel with a pinned and welded muzzle device. It's a carbine length 308 and will occasionally host a silencer. I'm not opposed to an adjustable gas block. In a quick search, I found a couple, one by JP Enterprises, one by Witt Machine & Tool, and one by Paper City Firearms. Does anyone have any experience with any of these or any other recommendations?

https://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPGS-9D

https://www.wittmachine.net/750-two-piece-adjustable-low-profile-gas-block.html

https://www.papercityfirearms.com/online-shopping/paper-city/accessories/low-profile-gas-block

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Never knew such a critter existed, thanks for the info! Please let me know which one you end up using and your results.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I kept searching and went with a Yankee Hill Machine Specter Gas Block Assembly YHM-9378.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/yankee-hill-machine-specter-gas-block-assembly-yhm-9378.html
    Was gonna say you can’t go wrong with YHM or JP Enteprises. Funny I knew exactly the why part before I read your post. Whole lot less trouble than grinding the weld.
    Btw, I’ve found that using an end mill with a drill press and the barrel in a cross slide vise is the easiest way I’ve found to remove the weld clean. The curvature of the device makes it easy to hit only the weld when working the vise back and forth.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Was gonna say you can’t go wrong with YHM or JP Enteprises. Funny I knew exactly the why part before I read your post. Whole lot less trouble than grinding the weld.
    Btw, I’ve found that using an end mill with a drill press and the barrel in a cross slide vise is the easiest way I’ve found to remove the weld clean. The curvature of the device makes it easy to hit only the weld when working the vise back and forth.

I didn't see the YHM on my quick first search, at least not that one. I saw one with a retail and another with a pop-up front sight. The YHM was about 1/3 the cost of the JP but it's not adjustable. If I run into gas problems with the can, I'll try the JP as part of the fix.

I remembered the gas block when I got the MD pinned. And I knew the barrel nut would fit over the MD, but the oversight was the barrel nut and the gas block. The gas block was in place for the welding but the barrel nut wasn't. Rookie mistake. So I had to cut the gas block off and search for the 2 piece,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I didn't see the YHM on my quick first search, at least not that one. I saw one with a retail and another with a pop-up front sight. The YHM was about 1/3 the cost of the JP but it's not adjustable. If I run into gas problems with the can, I'll try the JP as part of the fix.

I remembered the gas block when I got the MD pinned. And I knew the barrel nut would fit over the MD, but the oversight was the barrel nut and the gas block. The gas block was in place for the welding but the barrel nut wasn't. Rookie mistake. So I had to cut the gas block off and search for the 2 piece,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Meh, those dang 14.5 inch barrels...

Top Bottom