Federal Red Flag Bill?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    We have to do something....for the children. I guess anyone with an Arsenal (10/22 and 500 round of LR) is a loon and they must intervene before they snap. This is a way for the left to drop a dime on law abiding citizens and have the feds knocking down your door. Or local guys. I don’t see this going well for anyone if it really picks up traction.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    We have to do something....for the children. I guess anyone with an Arsenal (10/22 and 500 round of LR) is a loon and they must intervene before they snap. This is a way for the left to drop a dime on law abiding citizens and have the feds knocking down your door. Or local guys. I don’t see this going well for anyone if it really picks up traction.

Well it takes a Village. And the Villagers are restless or is that reckless?

Last edited:

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    I think it's a fair bet that the next Congress will see LOTS of anti-gun legislation put forward in the House. It will not pass the Senate, for the most part, but will be used as ammunition on the 2020 election cycle. Only a concerted effort on the part of pro-gun folks will stave off anything of significance after that.

bigsk

Iconoclast
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Seems it's more than the Democrats we need to worry about!

As reported by The Truth About Guns, U.S. Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC) is sponsoring a so-called *red flag* GUN CONFISCATION BILL with anti-gun Democrats.

Yeah, that Lindsey Graham.

I, too, hoped his recent efforts in support of President Trump’s Supreme Court Nominee meant he was turning over a new leaf.

Sadly, it appears Graham is reverting to his past role as a gun control *dealmaker.*

Here’s the article you can read for yourself:

Sen. Lindsey Graham: I Approve of Red Flag Laws Taking Guns from Law-Abiding People

by Kat Ainsworth | Dec 13, 2018

*The Emergency Risk Protection Order is designed to fill a gap in current law,* [Senator Lindsey] Graham said upon introducing the [red flag] bill with Democratic Senator Richard Blumenthal last March. *It can be utilized when an individual has moved into crisis, but has not yet committed a crime.*

*The bill we introduce today is a starting point,* Graham continued. *It’s the place where we begin a long-overdue discussion about firearms and mental health. But we must start.*

*This is a domestic retribution act, that is what they should call it,* said Dudley Brown, head of the National Association of Gun Rights, which is firmly against any red flag laws. *Anyone who has been in a divorce or custody battle should cringe when they hear this.* – Kelley Beaucar Vlahos for The American Conservative, Emergency Confiscation is Easy Target in New Gun Control Congress.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    This can go far past what people would think. Anyone remember how they were treating our veterans recently? I’d be willing to bet if this passes it’ll cover such a broad range of circumstances that nearly every gun owner would be put at risk.
    Anyone on any sort of meds that could be considered in the Psych med category, ever seen a psychiatrist or psychologist, been to anger management, family counseling, etc... and heaven forbid some angry neighbor reports you to the cops for anything. Yeah, if anything like this bill passes I’m taking all my guns for a boat ride.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    This can go far past what people would think. Anyone remember how they were treating our veterans recently? I’d be willing to bet if this passes it’ll cover such a broad range of circumstances that nearly every gun owner would be put at risk.
    Anyone on any sort of meds that could be considered in the Psych med category, ever seen a psychiatrist or psychologist, been to anger management, family counseling, etc... and heaven forbid some angry neighbor reports you to the cops for anything. Yeah, if anything like this bill passes I’m taking all my guns for a boat ride.

Theres always the Free State of West Florida or The State of Jefferson

momoandjo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2016
    Southside Laffy, LA
    Louisiana residents be aware:

HB448 was tabled 2018, but plan to see it back up for discussion in 2019.

HB448 is the Louisiana proposed Red Flag Bill that was introduced in the Spring of 2018 following the school shooting in Florida.

Get ready with your pens, computers and telephones and let your legislators know how you feel about your 2A Rights.

There has already been one life lost in Maryland during the execution of a confiscation order.

Stay vigilant!

Pats_Son

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Louisiana residents be aware:

HB448 was tabled 2018, but plan to see it back up for discussion in 2019.

HB448 is the Louisiana proposed Red Flag Bill that was introduced in the Spring of 2018 following the school shooting in Florida.

Get ready with your pens, computers and telephones and let your legislators know how you feel about your 2A Rights.

There has already been one life lost in Maryland during the execution of a confiscation order.

Stay vigilant!

Pats_Son
    Word!

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    I know its a little late, but below is a link to the committee hearing from Tuesday on the National ERPO/RedFlag law. From what I understand after watching the hearing the federal government wants to allocate financial incentives for states to enact and enforce these laws. These laws will give Judges and Police the power to rubber stamp a "dangerous person" complaint. Once the complaint has been filed and rubber stamped, police will carry out the confiscation of your property...and possibly your life like in the recent Maryland example if you object https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-aa-shooting-20181105-story.html .

So far I gathered that Federal criteria for states to receive funding will be as follows: You can not know that a complaint has been filed, and you can not be present when the judge or cop signs the order. You will find out by surprise when the order is served and the cops show up to take possession of your firearms. Almost anyone can file one, and there will be no penalty for filing malicious reports. One Senator thought that since 36% of reports turned out to be false in a state that already had these laws it was a good thing because its better to be safe then sorry.

This is a Republican/NRA sponsored effort. Diane Finestine is riding shotgun with NRA Execs Wayne Lapdog and Cris Cocks along with Republican Lindsay Graham on this particular bill. Trump has already voiced his ERPO/RedFlag support, so when it makes it to his desk it will become law. Corey "Spartacus" Booker even told a tall tear jerker about a guy in a MAGA shirt who came to the light on UBCs and ERPOs and embraced him when they were done talking. If abused Swatting/Docsing for anyone who you suspect of being a suspected gun owner.

https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/meetings/red-flag-laws-examining-guidelines-for-state-action

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    I don't know if the so-called Red Flag bills will become federal or state law, but we should push that all such introduced bills have at least these additional provisions to protect the rights of potential innocent citizens.

1- Orders based on false or mistaken information shall allow the firearm owner to sue the complainant for damages. The owner has the right to know who the complainant is and the basis for the order, and shall have the right to a hearing to rebut the charges.

2- The agency confiscating the firearms shall maintain the firearms in the condition as when confiscated, and shall return them to the residence upon expiration or revocation of the order. The agency shall be liable for any damage to the firearm while in their custody, including all legal and appraiser costs incurred by the owner to receive compensation for damage.

3- The sole fact that a citizen owns a large number of firearms or ammunition, or carries or displays them in accordance with state or federal laws, shall not be a basis for confiscation.

Last edited:

LaBelle

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Near Natchitoches
    I don't know if the so-called Red Flag bills will become federal or state law, but we should push that all such introduced bills have at least these additional provisions to protect the rights of potential innocent citizens.

1- Orders based on false or mistaken information shall allow the firearm owner to sue the complainant for damages. The owner has the right to know who the complainant is and the basis for the order, and shall have the right to a hearing to rebut the charges. [Complainant must provide sworn testimony via video or written document witnessed by the local District Attorney or Assistant District Attorney prior to any action being taken.]

Just my dos centavos!

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    When I tried to explain to my state representative about the problems with the red flag law when it was proposed here, he gave me this blank expression and acted like my objections were not anything of any weight. I told him that he probably never had to deal with a crazy ex-significant other.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    If someone is a threat to themselves or others, how does taking away his/her firearm dwindle the perceived risk? It doesn't.
    Cars, baseball bats, knives all are still readily available.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here

1- Orders based on false or mistaken information shall allow the firearm owner to sue the complainant for damages. The owner has the right to know who the complainant is and the basis for the order, and shall have the right to a hearing to rebut the charges.

2- The agency confiscating the firearms shall maintain the firearms in the condition as when confiscated, and shall return them to the residence upon expiration or revocation of the order. The agency shall be liable for any damage to the firearm while in their custody, including all legal and appraiser costs incurred by the owner to receive compensation for damage.

3- The sole fact that a citizen owns a large number of firearms or ammunition, or carries or displays them in accordance with state or federal laws, shall not be a basis for confiscation.

I would agree with all but number 2. That’s not going to happen because if you get your guns back because someone lied,then your lawsuit should include the damages if any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    I would agree with all but number 2. That’s not going to happen because if you get your guns back because someone lied,then your lawsuit should include the damages if any.

It's extremely hard to win he-said/she-said lawsuits. The threshold for the confiscation orders is so low that the protections and due process provided by the Bill of Rights have to be suspended. If society thinks this is a good thing by passing the Red-flag type laws, then society has the responsibility to protect the property values by providing the confiscating agencies the funds to properly store the firearms. Having your $250,000 set of Fabbri shotguns sitting at the bottom of a pile of H&R shotguns with cut stocks held together by electrical tape in an Arrow shed in the back lot is not taking reasonable care of your property values.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I know its a little late, but below is a link to the committee hearing from Tuesday on the National ERPO/RedFlag law. From what I understand after watching the hearing the federal government wants to allocate financial incentives for states to enact and enforce these laws. These laws will give Judges and Police the power to rubber stamp a "dangerous person" complaint. Once the complaint has been filed and rubber stamped, police will carry out the confiscation of your property...and possibly your life like in the recent Maryland example if you object https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-aa-shooting-20181105-story.html .

So far I gathered that Federal criteria for states to receive funding will be as follows: You can not know that a complaint has been filed, and you can not be present when the judge or cop signs the order. You will find out by surprise when the order is served and the cops show up to take possession of your firearms. Almost anyone can file one, and there will be no penalty for filing malicious reports. One Senator thought that since 36% of reports turned out to be false in a state that already had these laws it was a good thing because its better to be safe then sorry.

This is a Republican/NRA sponsored effort. Diane Finestine is riding shotgun with NRA Execs Wayne Lapdog and Cris Cocks along with Republican Lindsay Graham on this particular bill. Trump has already voiced his ERPO/RedFlag support, so when it makes it to his desk it will become law. Corey "Spartacus" Booker even told a tall tear jerker about a guy in a MAGA shirt who came to the light on UBCs and ERPOs and embraced him when they were done talking. If abused Swatting/Docsing for anyone who you suspect of being a suspected gun owner.

https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/meetings/red-flag-laws-examining-guidelines-for-state-action

Well there goes what was left of the NRA. The hell with them all. The NRA has always been who kept the RINO’s like Graham honest on the 2A. This foolishness has to be defeated.

Top Bottom