Problems with purchasing a gun at Academy

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Jeezers... we just don’t follow
    each other I guess... lemme try another route.
    Yes it’s not the same but only because one example is the first name and the other is the middle name. Try to see past that and follow along... the problem they have is can they ID the buyer beyond any said doubt. If the info doesn’t all line up exactly like the ID then no, they can’t ID beyond all doubt and they refuse the sale. Frankly, I’m surprised they’ve taken this long to go this route. Does it bother me? It might if I was turned down because my DL only had my middle initial on it, but that would be my fault. Why? Because the state puts the information you give them on your DL. If you give them a first, middle and last NAME, that’s what they put on your license. No initials other than what you give. When you apply for your license, you give them articles of ID with your name. The DMV use to require 2 forms of ID if you had to replace your DL, such as birth certificate, SS card, marriage license...they may still, but they don’t replace anybody’s middle name with an initial.

When I applied for my first DL at the age of 15 I gave my full name. I believe I had to present my birth certificate. The state never replaced my middle name with an initial. I don’t believe the state replaces anyone’s middle name with an initial.
    I am not surprised in the least that Academy is denying the transfer. I’ve seen them refuse when the address on the license doesn’t match. Many people move, change address, likely still living in the same city, but how many of them will immediately run to DMV and get that fixed on the DL? Not too many.
    An initial may be the correct initial and may correspond with the middle name but it’s not the middle name.
    Johnny J Jones’ middle name might be jack or joe or jerkoff for all they know. I’m sure there’s a reason some people only use their middle initial when applying for something important or giving information and some that likely omit the middle name altogether. I’m just not sure there’s a practical reason for doing so and I don’t think it’s a good idea.

I'm following along. You said he used a different first name, not a first initial. A shortened version of a name is a separate name.

John Michael Doe
    12/31/1990
    W/M
    123 State St, Baton Rouge, LA 70805
    5-10
    215 lbs
    111-33-5555

John M Doe
    12/31/1990
    W/M
    5-10
    215 lbs
    111-33-5555

John Doe
    12/31/1990
    W/M
    5-10
    215 lbs
    111-33-5555

I have to ID people for legal reasons as part of my job. I have no doubt the above listings are for the same person. There are enough direct identifiers and indirect identifiers to remove all doubt. If I have John M Doe in front of me and a warrant for John Michael Doe, then John M Doe is taking a ride.

I was denied by a business before because my address did not match. I had moved and had not yet gotten a new DL with the new address. The information the ID did not accurately represent who I was.

Troedoff

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Prairieville
    Okay so, your "legal name" and "legal address" is what is listed on your state ID. If your ID has your initial, and you fill out the form with the complete name, then it is not a direct match, and technically FFL is not allowed to proceed with the transaction. If your ID has just the initial, it is perfectly fine to only put that initial, with the designation "IO" behind it. That will satisfy the regulations, and you will be good to go.

I realize that some of it seems absurd, but the FFL bears all the burden for any mistakes. Just like anything else they keep stock of all of it. Make enough mistakes, and you will lose your FFL. Some are willing to run more risks than others, some get looked at more often than others etc. If Academy is anything like a larger company I used to work for. They have in house audits, that levy fines against the store for any mistakes. Now with the computer system, they have no way to override that.

Long story short if your ID has only your initial, only put that initial on the form.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Okay so, your "legal name" and "legal address" is what is listed on your state ID. If your ID has your initial, and you fill out the form with the complete name, then it is not a direct match, and technically FFL is not allowed to proceed with the transaction. If your ID has just the initial, it is perfectly fine to only put that initial, with the designation "IO" behind it. That will satisfy the regulations, and you will be good to go.

I realize that some of it seems absurd, but the FFL bears all the burden for any mistakes. Just like anything else they keep stock of all of it. Make enough mistakes, and you will lose your FFL. Some are willing to run more risks than others, some get looked at more often than others etc. If Academy is anything like a larger company I used to work for. They have in house audits, that levy fines against the store for any mistakes. Now with the computer system, they have no way to override that.

Long story short if your ID has only your initial, only put that initial on the form.
    That may work here or there...but you’ll run into trouble more times than not. Mostly because I can’t count the times I’ve had the person handing me the pen saying, *full name, no initials, no abbreviations*.
    And if this would fly, why wouldn’t they just tell you at academy to write your name AS IT APPEARS ON YOUR LICENSE...?

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I purchased a revolver at Denham Springs Academy Sports yesterday with no problems. My DL has my middle initial.

Ya, me too. My driver's license only has the initial and have never had a problem at Academy, Walmart, etc. I always spell out my middle name. Worked find yesterday on a $99 Heritage revolver at the Juban store. Bought a 410 double barrel at the Siegan store last week.

Last edited:

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    My dad and his twin sister had no middle names as twins were a surprise and my grandparents had picked 2 names, 1 boy and 1 girl.
    The army, hunting license, CCW permit, etc require a middle name or initial.
    Leagal requirement is NMN instead of a single letter.
    It caused him a hassle his whole life.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I have always had issues with academy till I Renewed my chp.... simple now... in and out everywhere ... in fact I used to make my wife fill out my paper work, in LA a spouse can purches firearms as a gift.... but only problem with that was she knew every time I bought a new gun lol

Really, that's a Louisiana thing? I thought that ANYONE could buy a firearm as a gift in any state.

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    I am waiting to get a real ID until I have to. The cost of License, MotorCycle Endorsement, and Chauffeur are on it too. Do I want to keep them both just in case. How much is it to add a real ID?
    Just renewed my LA driver's license. I believe the "real ID" was an extra $10. The lady advised me, however, that unless I do a lot of flying (of which it gets you easier boarding) it was no big deal. I haven't flown in 25+ years so figured I'd not get it. For what that's worth....

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    I haven't purchased through Academy for a while but never had issues with my middle initial. I just picked up a FFL required purchase at a local gun store Tuesday for which I needed to do that damnable paperwork. Middle initial worked although printed middle name was required on the background form, as usual.

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    Last I purchased from Acadamey they accepted my permit. Actually the girl here likes to see me cruise the gun counter, because she thinks Im an easy sale. I bought a Glock from Acadamey a few months ago and the hour long line of guys waiting for the NICS response were shocked at how fast they walked me to the front. Ive never bought a gun from Walmart, Dicks and I doubt I ever will.

My routine modified:
    1. Buy online
    2. Use local FFL (option1 charges $50 per serial, option2 charges $25 per serial)
    3. Use *5 year* CHP (no call to NICS)
    4. Enjoy my new gun/s

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    My routine modified:
    1. Buy online
    2. Use local FFL (option1 charges $50 per serial, option2 charges $25 per serial)
    3. Use *5 year* CHP (no call to NICS)
    4. Enjoy my new gun/s

If you're paying $50 for your FFL transfers, I completely understand why that chick thinks you're an easy sale! Do you hear your FFL laughing every time you're walking out of his place?

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    RCM at Gretna Guns, and Ryan at Shootwise WANT to sell guns. They work at a GUN SHOP.

Academy is a Clothing Store, that happens to sell sporting goods and guns. The more guns they sell, the more paperwork they have to do. They are not motivated to sell you a gun. They will reject the sale for any trivial reason to avoid creating work.

If you are buying at Academy to save a few bucks, you're getting what you pay for. You are forfeiting any customer service after the sale.

Buy from a gun shop.

RabidWolf1966

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2019
    West Monroe
    Not sure how it works as far as name goes, but a couple of reasons I don't buy from Academy

1>I know 2 local gun stores that can usually do a better deal, and I'd rather buy from a local company anyway.
    2>From what I've heard, Academy also doesn't obey the Brady Law....after you do the paperwork, and they send the information to the ATF, if you're "delayed", they are supposed to wait for 3 days...and then if they haven't heard back, then they are allowed to sell you the gun....and if the ATF comes back to them after the 3 day period saying that they should NOT have sold the gun, it's up to the ATF to track you down and get it back.
    However, at Academy, if you get delayed, they wait 30 days, and if they haven't received any response from the ATF, you then have to resubmit, and wait ANOTHER 30 days....and from what I've heard, this keeps going until they DO finally hear back or you give up.
    I got lucky recently on my most recent purchase from the local guys, once the paperwork was submitted, it only took about 20 minutes for the ATF to come back. The previous 2 times before that, I had been "delayed" and had to wait the 3 days...so it was a pleasant surprise tome

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    My DL has my middle name and my CHP has my initial . I've bought guns all over the place with no issues . As for Academy , the Airline store in BR had a young man working the counter that knew his products . He could tell you the features of every gun he had behind that counter . That's all I want from them anyway .

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    However, at Academy, if you get delayed, they wait 30 days, and if they haven't received any response from the ATF, you then have to resubmit, and wait ANOTHER 30 days....and from what I've heard, this keeps going until they DO finally hear back or you give up.
    I got lucky recently on my most recent purchase from the local guys, once the paperwork was submitted, it only took about 20 minutes for the ATF to come back. The previous 2 times before that, I had been "delayed" and had to wait the 3 days...so it was a pleasant surprise tome
    Get a CHP and all of that is a non issue . :cool:

Top Bottom